562xp port timing numbers help.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacklefty

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all!
I am doing my first port work on my trusty 562 Xp and am looking for advice from people who have ported 562s.
when using my degree wheel I have come up with:
exhaust 105 deg
transfer 115 deg
blowdown: 10 deg
intake 73 deg.

do these saws really run 10deg of blowdown? I was under the impression it should be in the neighborhood of 20 deg blowdown..
i measured the transfers by removing the transfer covers and observing when they open up after tdc.
is this the correct way to time these strato saws?

I have checked and re checked my numbers and re created them so I know they are accurate.

any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'll have to look when I get home. But there's numbers posted on the net. Just gotta look hard enough.

K thanks… I’ve searched and searched.. all I’ve beenable to find is about the ignition timingby advancing the flywheel

On mine I cut the base, made a pop up, widen the exhaust to 65% of the bore, modded the muffler and did a timing advance. My goal was more grunt to pull a longer bar and it worked out surprisingly good considering so little was done to it. I put a 30" bar on it just to see if it could do it in oak and it didn't do to bad.

That’s pretty nice man!..
I finished the initial numbers and porting today. 8 have it back together and did the first initial break in for 15 min. I. going to do a second one tomorrow and then reset the high side.
I found a thread that mastermind did on the 562xp about 9 years ago to find a general ball park as to where my blowdown should be. I have also been talking to Tinman about the steps and porting it and such. He’s a great man with a wealth of info,
thanks Tinman!
my Initial #s:
exhaust Duration: 154
intake duration: 152
strato duration 140
blowdown of 14

i ported and matched the transfers to the base gasket as well as matched the case half’s to the base gasket, cut down the cylinder skirt that blocks the charge flow from the case into the transfers, chamfered all edges and roughed up the intake and strato ports. I did not touch the exhaust at all except for re chamfer. I also ground the piston on the intake side to increase the duration of the intake up 7.5 degrees. And finally gutted the muffler and advanced the timing by trimming the key way down by 1/3. Here’s a few pics I took while chatting with Tinman.

if you guys haven’t yet please check out Tinman! Him and Buckin are the best!

Attachments

• 245F0E83-DC2F-491D-BA16-8A7859B398E1.jpeg
    245F0E83-DC2F-491D-BA16-8A7859B398E1.jpeg
    561.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 3AE85930-5E27-4E64-A0CF-9C168FC6075B.jpeg
    3AE85930-5E27-4E64-A0CF-9C168FC6075B.jpeg
    567.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 35850915-D979-45DB-A452-A6BEA8E151B5.jpeg
    35850915-D979-45DB-A452-A6BEA8E151B5.jpeg
    682.8 KB · Views: 16
That’s pretty nice man!..
I finished the initial numbers and porting today. 8 have it back together and did the first initial break in for 15 min. I. going to do a second one tomorrow and then reset the high side.
I found a thread that mastermind did on the 562xp about 9 years ago to find a general ball park as to where my blowdown should be. I have also been talking to Tinman about the steps and porting it and such. He’s a great man with a wealth of info,
thanks Tinman!
my Initial #s:
exhaust Duration: 154
intake duration: 152
strato duration 140
blowdown of 14

i ported and matched the transfers to the base gasket as well as matched the case half’s to the base gasket, cut down the cylinder skirt that blocks the charge flow from the case into the transfers, chamfered all edges and roughed up the intake and strato ports. I did not touch the exhaust at all except for re chamfer. I also ground the piston on the intake side to increase the duration of the intake up 7.5 degrees. And finally gutted the muffler and advanced the timing by trimming the key way down by 1/3. Here’s a few pics I took while chatting with Tinman.

if you guys haven’t yet please check out Tinman! Him and Buckin are the best!
Thanks, I hope yours turns out the way you want it.

Hello all!
I am doing my first port work on my trusty 562 Xp and am looking for advice from people who have ported 562s.
when using my degree wheel I have come up with:
exhaust 105 deg
transfer 115 deg
blowdown: 10 deg
intake 73 deg.

do these saws really run 10deg of blowdown? I was under the impression it should be in the neighborhood of 20 deg blowdown..
i measured the transfers by removing the transfer covers and observing when they open up after tdc.
is this the correct way to time these strato saws?

I have checked and re checked my numbers and re created them so I know they are accurate.

any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Wad you do for a degree wheel I've bein needing one myself so I can do more serious port work?

Back