572 has sealed bearings?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddBomber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Spent 16 days up North working with Maltby's tree service. It's a Husqvarna operation, or was.. lol.
They've had a 572xp that just never ran right. Come to find out that the clutch side crank seal was leaking.
Warrantied and estimated 3 weeks to fix!!!
Does Husqvarna use sealed bearings in that?
Why? What good can come from that? Didn't they learn from the 385/390 fiasco?
As a side note; three weeks isn't that bad, considering that they're the only husky dealer left within 70 miles.... when two years ago there was at least a dozen...q and they're absolutely swamped!
When we dropped the saw off, you should have seen the tech's face. Priceless.
Needles to say, good old Mr Maltby will be switching to Stihl...if only for dealer support and options.

Is it one of the first few batches? My main dealer had 2 or 3 units off the first pallet he received that had bearing/seal issues.

After those, none came back for that reason.
It could be. I didn't look at it much, especially not the data plate. We dropped it off on the way to the shop. The one I ran (of four) was fine. It feels bulky compared to the 462c, but smooth and powerful.... Different powerband than the 372, but not lacking.
Great saw.

Pretty trouble free bearing, though. Previous issues (385/390) were from the heavy piston beating on the bearings that led to hammering out the bearing pocket. Nothing to do with an inferior bearing/seal design
Yup, I absolutely agree with that. I've heard that the 572 bottom end is overbuilt.... which is definitely a good thing.
Just sucks for the longevity, imo.
When a seal fails... not if... when... then what? Full tear down and split cases?
I don't know.. husky seems to be making strange decisions.

Yup, I absolutely agree with that. I've heard that the 572 bottom end is overbuilt.... which is definitely a good thing.
Just sucks for the longevity, imo.
When a seal fails... not if... when... then what? Full tear down and split cases?
I don't know.. husky seems to be making strange decisions.
I believe the seal can be replaced independently of the bearing. But with these newer saws, the bearings don’t seem to outlast the seals anyway

Pretty trouble free bearing, though. Previous issues (385/390) were from the heavy piston beating on the bearings that led to hammering out the bearing pocket. Nothing to do with an inferior bearing/seal design
I like explanations with comments like this. Did this issue get rectumfied? Thanks.

I believe the seal can be replaced independently of the bearing. But with these newer saws, the bearings don’t seem to outlast the seals anyway
Unfortunately, you are correct. All manufacturers seem to be making lemons by the bushel these days.
My 550 mk2 is a basket case with severe idling issues. Brother in-law has a 362c that's rattles worse than an old Mac. 572 with loose cylinder bolts from the dealership. A host of 562 with poor seals, Auto-tune that just can't figure itself out. Vacuum leaks. Dealerships forcefully losing factory support despite overwhelming revenue, denied warranty work because the mix wasn't brand specific.
I gotta give this generation of saws to Stihl. They're, at least, innovative. 400c with a mag piston. The venerable 500i that weighs less than husky's flagship 572 with a half a horse more power.
What's husky doing? Over-complicating saws, pulling dealership support by 70%, and sending out a product that may, or may not work properly.
Remember when pulling apart a Husqvarna xp saw required two tools and its design just seemed intuitive? Like common-sense engineering. What happened?? Crank case seals could be fixed in a few hours.. became multiple weeks?
Now German saws are lighter, faster, higher powered, pushing the technological initiative, and substantially easier to disassemble, and fix...plus you can't hardly throw a rock without hitting a full service dealer.
This is gonna fire up the orange fan-boys, but I truly feel that Stihl remained Stihl but got better.... within reason.
Husky seems to have tried to become something else, and I'm hard pressed to see the gains.
Seriously! "Oh you bought a $1200 saw that your paycheck depends on, and it isn't running right?....we realize that the recalibration procedure in the owners manual is incorrect or completely omitted. So, just let it idle for a few minutes."
"It won't idle. It loads up after a few seconds and dies"
"Yep, ok, that's a common issue. Just bring it to a certified dealer."
"Ummm... You closed all the dealers within 70 miles."
"We're sorry for that, but thanks for the money. Good luck."
That's not the Husqvarna that I knew and loved. You can call it anecdotal, but it's not. I work in NC, VT, NH and MA. It used to be almost 50/50 Husqvarna and Stihl. Now it's all Stihl. The few orange holdouts are fading fast. I actually see more echo than husky these days. And it's not by choice.
I'll keep my 2172 and 2071... Thanks.

Ummmmm.... I believe it won't run.... Or, if it does, it'll eat itself apart in short order.

Yup... Easy fix. Just completely disassemble the entire saw down to a bare crankcase... Then split your case, install the "regular" sealed bearing... And you're good to go.
It's only a 6 hours fix.
Because that separate seal type of crank bearing setup, that takes minutes... and has been proven to work for 50+ years, and be easily serviceable.... Yeah, they decided that they had a better idea.... That had NEVER worked well.
Ugh!! What the heck??!!!!! Reminiscent of the last years of MaccCulloch much? Sub par quality, behind the competition in weight, power, dealer support, parts, and most definitely sales.
My heart is broken.
That's like designing a car that everytime you change tires, you need to pull the transmission.
I'm absolutely flabbergasted. These are 3yo saws!! With no dealers left!!
Dang!
Who thought this was a good idea?
Yay husky!
😑

Yup... Easy fix. Just completely disassemble the entire saw down to a bare crankcase... Then split your case, install the "regular" sealed bearing... And you're good to go.
It's only a 6 hours fix.
Because that separate seal type of crank bearing setup, that takes minutes... and has been proven to work for 50+ years, and be easily serviceable.... Yeah, they decided that they had a better idea.... That had NEVER worked well.
Ugh!! What the heck??!!!!! Reminiscent of the last years of MaccCulloch much? Sub par quality, behind the competition in weight, power, dealer support, parts, and most definitely sales.
My heart is broken.
That's like designing a car that everytime you change tires, you need to pull the transmission.
I'm absolutely flabbergasted. These are 3yo saws!! With no dealers left!!
Dang!
Who thought this was a good idea?
Yay husky!
😑
Seals are replaceable like others. As I said in post 8

6661BCEF-C4D2-487B-ADE2-41586CB88D62.png

Good!!!!!! I apologize for misinterpreting your post.
That's definitely good news. A true relief. I was so heartbroken, and just couldn't believe it.
I really hope that you're right. Exploded views are not exactly realistic in terms of maintenance. I'm reminiscent of the 390 having the same IPL pic, but the seals and bearings were one unit, despite the sweet picture.
Thankfully, I won't have to deal with it, because husky, in their infinite wisdom, decided to pull all dealer support in my area. I couldn't buy one if I wanted to (which I truly did)... aside from Amazon or StealBay (I had 6 saws stolen and put on auction, with zero repercussions from eBay despite my police report, serial numbers, and pictures showing clear distinguishing attributes. Some guy in Ohio is enjoying my ported MS261c, that I'm still paying for on credit, and he actually had the gall to text me about it.... Thanks NC sheriff department! Awesome job!! Huge help! A guy buys stolen equipment, knows it's stolen, contacts the victim about it, all documented by serial number, and the NC sheriff's department can't do anything because it's "out of state")

Sorry to digress. I was just floored at the three week turn around for crank seals. But, again, they're the dealer only option left.
Fingers crossed that three weeks doesn't turn into three months.

What is husky thinking seals inside bearings suck they don’t last, could the 50:1 mix be too lean on oil? Has the inside seal in the bearing been removed from the factory?

Latest posts

Back