576XP Unexplained Seizure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few seconds isn’t enough to warm it up. With the info you have given - the only assumption we can offer is it’s a cold seizure…
Cold seizures are very rare with an air-cooled motor. Somewhat more common with a liquid cooled motor, but still rare.
I've never done anything special with warming a saw up and I have cut in below zero temps alot. Just take it a bit easy for to start and then give her hell.

The reason I mention my 570XP was because it sounded pretty similar.
Was given the saw after it was locked up.
Could not get the saw to turn over with the pull cord.
Took the muffler off expecting scoring, but saw a shiny piston instead.
So then I removed the spark plug, nothing wrong there.
Thought maybe something behind the flywheel, when I used a wrench on the nut, it turned over.
So it was moving again, but was really stiff.
I figured bearings must have gone out.
Went to pull the cylinder and had a devil of a time getting it off the piston.
And that is what I found.
So sometimes, you just never know without some disassembly.

Thought maybe something behind the flywheel, when I used a wrench on the nut, it turned over.
How many hours on the 570 saw? Orginal oem piston? Does Husqvarna or the owners manual say anything about when to check or replace the piston and ring.

Working on dirtbikes we noticed the pin on the ring would come loose over time, use. We caught a newer bike when this happened. Upon inspection after the race season was over.
It’s hard to tell a rider who buys a used bike to check the piston and if it’s good put a ring in it.

How many hours on the 570 saw? Orginal oem piston? Does Husqvarna or the owners manual say anything about when to check or replace the piston and ring.

Working on dirtbikes we noticed the pin on the ring would come loose over time, use. We caught a newer bike when this happened. Upon inspection after the race season was over.
It’s hard to tell a rider who buys a used bike to check the piston and if it’s good put a ring in it.
No idea of the time on the saw.
Everything looks OEM to me.

Yeah, I appreciate that... I found another video on YouTube where a guy diagnosed something very similar... Saw just wasn't right & 2 other shops couldn't fault it... Pin was loose & traveling out just far enough to rub without catching.
I might have to go out of my way to get a look inside this saw

Update:
So I got the opportunity to call into workshops & have a look over the saw... Bob guessed it, it ate a bearing...IMG_20211111_140637.jpgIMG_20211111_140702.jpgIMG_20211111_140720.jpgIMG_20211111_140544.jpg
Where this will get interesting is they have said the gas they poured out of the saw was pink & so they don't believe the fuel was properly mixed & the bearing failure is due to straight gassing. I'm not convinced, but in this case (so far as the powers that be are concerned) they are the authority

Update:
So I got the opportunity to call into workshops & have a look over the saw... Bob guessed it, it ate a bearing...View attachment 940612View attachment 940613View attachment 940614View attachment 940615
Where this will get interesting is they have said the gas they poured out of the saw was pink & so they don't believe the fuel was properly mixed & the bearing failure is due to straight gassing. I'm not convinced, but in this case (so far as the powers that be are concerned) they are the authority
Plenty of red two cycle oils out there.

Plenty of red two cycle oils out there.
We use the Husky LS+ (blue)... At the time I put my finger in the gas tank & could feel the oily residue left as it evaporated. We also ran all the other saws off the same gas for the rest of the day with no issue.
Also, (in my experience at least) the bearings don't tend to spit the dummy that quickly when the oil gets sparse

We use the Husky LS+ (blue)... At the time I put my finger in the gas tank & could feel the oily residue left as it evaporated. We also ran all the other saws off the same gas for the rest of the day with no issue.
Also, (in my experience at least) the bearings don't tend to spit the dummy that quickly when the oil gets sparse
Piston usually seizes first.

My thoughts exactly... & the majority of the damage to the piston looks to be from errant bits of bearing.
The cylinder looked to be in very reasonable shape too & I wouldn't hesitate to clean it up & use it

Update:
So I got the opportunity to call into workshops & have a look over the saw... Bob guessed it, it ate a bearing...View attachment 940612View attachment 940613View attachment 940614View attachment 940615

Would it not be pink if red oil was used? I can't be bothered skipping back to see if NZDF get red oil or blue oil.
Was it not some kind of fun day for foot sloggers? Multiple saws and all filled from the same mess hall? Only one catastrophic failure.......
I believe straight gassing will rip the exhaust side of the piston to shreds long before the big end bearing lets go- no evidence of that?
Were early 5 series (and some late 3 series) not well known for bearing failures?
Straight gassed my ass!

Would it not be pink if red oil was used? I can't be bothered skipping back to see if NZDF get red oil or blue oil.
Was it not some kind of fun day for foot sloggers? Multiple saws and all filled from the same mess hall? Only one catastrophic failure.......
I believe straight gassing will rip the exhaust side of the piston to shreds long before the big end bearing lets go- no evidence of that?
Were early 5 series (and some late 3 series) not well known for bearing failures?
Straight gassed my ass!
Blue stuff... & my thoughts exactly.
The other thing I found interesting was that they separated the crank & one of the counter weights was AWOL. No markings on any of the crank that was there to tell me if it was OEM or had been previously replaced

Cold seizures are very rare with an air-cooled motor. Somewhat more common with a liquid cooled motor, but still rare.
I've never done anything special with warming a saw up and I have cut in below zero temps alot. Just take it a bit easy for to start and then give her hell.
There is a winter and summer adjustment on the low speed screw. Around sept/oct when the chilly air hits I readjust the low speed. The high speed is ok.
I would keep my saws in a heated shop with the bar oil. Then in the heated cab in the truck I cold temps. I have six or more 570 saws three are being used right now three are on standby.

What size bar on this 570.? Husky recommends a lower two stroke ratio with longer bars. More oil.

There is a winter and summer adjustment on the low speed screw. Around sept/oct when the chilly air hits I readjust the low speed. The high speed is ok.
I would keep my saws in a heated shop with the bar oil. Then in the heated cab in the truck I cold temps. I have six or more 570 saws three are being used right now three are on standby.

What size bar on this 570.? Husky recommends a lower two stroke ratio with longer bars. More oil.
Once I know the RPM my saw performs best at I check it everytime I cut at the beginning of the day. Repeatable peak performance and it really helps you notice air leaks.

Back