6 inch lift?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 94 chevy step side 2x4 with 31 1/2's all the way around with no lift. They fit fine on the rear but started rubbing on the front when I would hit big dips in the road at speed. A set of heavy duty front springs solved the rubbing issue by raising the front 2''. I did put a set of helper springs on the rear to help from sagging when I pull heavy trailers. My speedo is off about 3 MPH but my gas millage is still 16+ per gallon. It is a little sluggish in the hills when pulling a heavy trailer but I live in a flat area so it's not a big issue. It has the 5.7 throttle body and does run great when empty though. I wouldn't go over 31 1/2's without a gear change.

Going to leave these tires on it for now.
They look fine.
She will re-evaluate what she wants done next after I get finished.
Now my 89 Suburban 4x4 could use a 3" lift just to get it leveled back out.
The 2 rear shocks are worn out and no telling how old the front ones are.
It already sits high and looks kinda weird with stock tires by today's standards.

Going to leave these tires on it for now.
They look fine.
She will re-evaluate what she wants done next after I get finished.
Now my 89 Suburban 4x4 could use a 3" lift just to get it leveled back out.
The 2 rear shocks are worn out and no telling how old the front ones are.
It already sits high and looks kinda weird with stock tires by today's standards.
Keep in mind springs will sag over time and loose some of there ride height. Anything over 20 years old with 100+ thousand miles will probably have some spring sag. Shocks wont do anything for ride height unless they are air shocks witch suck. You might look into some air bags but keep in mind as you raise the height it will change the steering geometry depending on how high you raise it.

My gear ratio is a 342. With the 31-1/2's at 70 MPH my tach runs 2000/2100 RPM. At 55 it only runs 1200 RPM
I would want smaller tires or a lower gear if I was pulling hills all the time.

First I went to a 6” lift when I built my ‘76 k30. I got my hands on some leaf springs and took it to 8”+ next. The truck in my pic is 14” lift. Six super swampers with locking diffs she goes anywhere.

I built a 400 th tranny with the extra low first gear and 3,000 stall converter. I later put a 465/4 speed and the 400 turbo out pulled the four speed. I piped in a air conditioning condenser to cool the tranny.

Latest posts

Back