700 series Green Teeth on 2016 RG45X stump grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSgtBob66

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I bought a new RG45X last summer. It came with the OEM Rayco Super teeth. Worked great!

My old RG1625 Super Jr came with the Super Teeth as well, I converted it to 700 series GT, and then a Green wheel, so I had 18 GT pockets and a bunch on new and used teeth, along with some Super teeth.

I burned through all my super teeth finally, and then thought I would experiment.

The 700 GT setup went on my new machine earlier this summer. I figured that since I liked the smaller machine really liked the smaller machine with the GT, I would like them on the new machine. I put on the 18 on the outer portions of the wheel, and kept 6 Super teeth on the inner mounting surfaces so everything was balanced out.

NO GO!!! I busted most of the used teeth. I had sharpened a bunch of them dry previously, so they got hot, and seemed to break rapidly. I noticed this with the little machine before I made a wet sharpening system which kept them cool while sharpening.

Yesterday, I put on a new set of 18 Wearsharp GT. 3 minutes into a 10 minute grind job, I broke 8 new teeth!

I am in sometimes rocky soil, mostly non-rocky soil most of the time.

I figure that due to the increased speed of grinding I am capable of with the RG45X vs the little Super Jr., by the time I realize I'm into a rock, I react too late to back out w/out damage.

I am a really part time stump grinder, so these tooth costs affect me more than a full timer. The GT were awesome on the little machine, and time spent babysitting the teeth was worth it. Right now, I am contemplating a new set of Super teeth, and getting the old sets refurbished. They take longer to change out, but for a general purpose tooth, they seem the way to go.

Anyone else have this issue, or something similar? Able to compare different teeth on the same, bigger machine?

Semper Fidelis

BOB

Hey bob-

I had a greenwheel (which uses 900 series green teeth) on my old 1625 and when I upgraded to a used low hours 4012 that had 1100 series green teeth on it, I decided to buy 900 series pockets to accommodate all the used and new 900 series teeth I still had in stock.

I was surprised at how many teeth I was breaking as well in rocky conditions. I think our old and lighter 25 hp machines would bounce when they hit rocks and didn't have the power to really break teeth the way a 44hp class machine will. If I know I'm in rocky soil I take small bites and quick swipes. I find they break when you really hammer a rock, vs just grazing, so once I know I'm in a rocky area, I just decrease my bite.

I also have the issue of breaking bolts fairly regularly. I would say at least once a week.

Let this be a lesson. With my old 1625, once I torqued the pockets on, I never had to worry about it. About a month into grinding with my new 4012, I found that the pockets would come loose. Nothing crazy, just a little play. Naively, I wouldn't retighten them immediately and I think because of that the bolt holes have a little slop in them which causes the bolts to break more often then they should.

At one point, I ran out of spare pockets so I threw some of the 1100 series on there for the time being. I find the 1100 hold up very well. They have more durability and rarely break. With that being said, they aren't in a lead position, so throwing them into the lead position might have a different result.

My plan going forward is to fully switch over to 1100's once I build up my 1100's tooth inventory.

When I wear out my wheel I am eyeing a Quadwheel.

Hope my ramblings help you out. Basically I think the bigger the greentooth, the more durable. And also keep them pocket bolts tight!

Bob,

I'm a GreenTeeth dealer and I recommend that you use 900 series. The RG45 is recommended to use 900 series. Where are the teeth breaking? The 900's are a beefier tooth.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

Fellas,
GREEN recommends the 700 series! Besides, I had a bunch laying around, with pockets.
I totally agree with the Shark, theses 45 HP machines are too much for the 700 series, for a variety of reasons.
Dave, most are either chipping the carbide, or ripping it right off. What is the initial cost of setting up a RG45, 24 pockets and teeth, 1.5 in wheel? Include bolts.

Thanks for the responses!

S/F

Bob

Bob,
Bob,

I'm a GreenTeeth dealer and I recommend that you use 900 series. The RG45 is recommended to use 900 series. Where are the teeth breaking? The 900's are a beefier tooth.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

Some of these posts are confusing me! I'm on this forum to try to gain some info that will help me make a good decision about whether to keep using Rayco Superteeth 0n my rg1645, or maybe improve my bottom line by trying greenteeth or whatever else is out there. One poster will talk about how a 45 hp will destroy greenteeth 900 series in rocky ground, and the next guy will say he solves that tooth-breakage problem by switching to 1100 series. Then a dealer will imply that to be wrong and recommend 900. Somewhere else a guy says he's going from greenteeth back to superteeth but won't say why. Being a newbie on the forum and offering up a critique may get me a note from a moderator and a bunch of insults from members, but men, if you think you have some experience that is relevant,, please put yourself in the readers shoes because 90% of the people who are reading these posts aren't even logged on. That's my not-so-humble opinion. What say you?

OP, I am not familiar with the RG45. I have run a RG50. As far as actual horse power to the wheel, we are probably pretty close. I have over 1000 hours running 1100s without no complaints. When I bought my Super 50 it already had 1100s on it. In fact, that used to be the recommended tooth for a Super (66hp) on up. Now 1100s are not recommended until you get to the 100HP models. The difference of 1/4" in size between the two does not seem like much. But, in the overall surface area between the 900 and 1100, the 1100 series has an increased carbide surface area of 60%! I would finish your experiment by running 1100s in the lead and secondary position.

I'm not disputing Dave's recommendation, he is accurately quoting the Greenteeth setup guide.

Back