70cc class saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're not using it all the time get an older saw in good condition for less money.

I got a 72cc Stihl 038av magnum and I use it 3 half days a week. Any more than that your hands will suffer with a few years using an older saw. Get an AV antivibration Stihl if an older Stihl, most are AV.

I love that saw, it compares in power to weight to modern saws, usually surpasses them, if you want anything more I would spend more on a more modern pro Stihl of a similar weight class. Obviously second hand is the answer to saving money but really insist that you try it out before you buy!
I have the 038 mag 2 with the 80cc top end, wow!

Maintanance Supervisor is there much of a performance difference between the L 77 and the pro mac 700? I just got a 380CD Husky is it basicly the same saw as a L77?
Kash
The Husqvarna feels like it has a little more torque but doesn't rev as much, I don't think you can go wrong with either saw.
Being that husqvarna has a more modern lay out with the vertical cylinder and fuel tank on the bottom its also a little rounder ,so the old dealer told me they were affectionately called the "Great Pumpkin ".

Whats the best 70cc class saw out there
The best bang for the buck
I can only speak as I find, and now I'm retired there is no pressure to cut in all weather and keep chasing your tail.
I am and always will be a husqvarna fan, they just do it for me. My favourites are 266 and 254, these cut anything I have ever come across and served me very well for years, now they are play saws. 365 is a great saw and my latest is 550 which to be honest so far I am not very impressed, maybe I'm too old to change but I like to tune a saw myself and if I think it need to be a little rich I can do that. The 550 does cut fast but always seem (to me) a little on the lean side....and cant do anything about it as its autotune🤔
I may let this saw go, we will see. But one things for sure, this series (5) saw will not last like the 2 and 3 series saws, the younger guys probably wont agree but I still use the saws I had before they were born. Oh that does make me feel my aches more

I always find topics like this to be loaded questions, and without knowing some specifics of what you'll be cutting/price range and frequency of use, it makes it difficult to say what you should be looking at.
I'll start with I wouldn't want anything super old that fell out of favor 30 years ago. This leaves out nearly all the stihl 0XXav series with very few exceptions, also leaves out most of the 2XX series husqys. There are exceptions to this, but for a frequent use saw I wouldn't consider them.
Husqy I'd prefer the 372xp. I would also consider a 365s. The 572xp is a great saw, but it's heavy.
Stihl is a little more difficult in my mind. I would normally jump on the 460/1/2 band wagon, unless I could find a nice, well priced 440mag used. If I had the choice I'd still take a 462 over the 440 any day of the week. Crap airfilter set up and mushy av imo. Both can be fixed easily though.
I have most recently become a big fan of the 400cm. It's really the best saw stihl has come out with recently. All the good husqy and stihl features packed into one saw. Av and air filtration are great, weight is the same as a 60cc class, and power is on point. I've been very impressed with mine so far.

MS462 or Husqvarna 572, and perhaps Echo 7310.
That's probably the best, not bang for the buck though - unless you get a lucky secondhand one.

The 572xp is a great saw, but it's heavy.
The top saws have different characteristics, heavy often means sturdy/solid - that may or may not be important to you.

I have built a copycat 372 this summer and I really like it...
- I have built it, then obviously I can repair and maintain it - until doomsday.

Elaborating more on the 572.

Seems like husqvarna is saving ”jersey numbers” and they wanted a solid model succeeding the 272, 372 to pin reputation on. They put a lot of time into development and testing and addressed issues like bearing failure on older saws along with experience from failures of earlier autotune saws. I’m looking at you, 550xp (mk1) and 562xp (early revisions).

Power to weight is excellent, even with it being an extremely durably built saw. It’s more powerful than the 272/372. In the wood, it apparently competes just fine with the Stihl analogs (462 etc), but I honestly cant speak there from personal experience. Yes, you’re going to get a better ratio with the 90cc saws (duh), or the 500i sthil, which is also in it’s own class in other respects, including price, availability, etc.

Air filtration is the best I’ve seen on any saw, and without the “high top” that makes ergos a bit harder.

Fuel usage is very much “wtf how is my tank still full?!“

I should say I’m NOT happy that the autotune system is essentially a sealed black box. I’d love to see open source Common Service Tool software. It simply hasn’t been a point of failure though.

The only problems we’ve had with this saw have been bad gas. Full stop.

Pro-tip: Tru-Fuel sucks. Nothing but problems with that stuff. Harder starts, poor power. Fresh off the pump 87 with random 2cycle oil is preferable. Mind that I’m not throwing canned fuel in general under the bus.

It’s too easy to forget that these are still carbureted engines. They’ll run on less than ideal fuel, but if the carb is set for good fuel and the the tank is full of crap, yeah, starting is more of a challenge. It’ll adjust FAST once it wakes up, but if the engine isn’t turning, the carb isn’t adjusting.

MS462 or Husqvarna 572, and perhaps Echo 7310.
That's probably the best, not bang for the buck though - unless you get a lucky secondhand one.

The top saws have different characteristics, heavy often means sturdy/solid - that may or may not be important to you.

I have built a copycat 372 this summer and I really like it...
- I have built it, then obviously I can repair and maintain it - until doomsday.
The 572xp is a good saw, but honestly doesn't compare to the 400 or 462. Husqy ran scared when they designed it.

Elaborating more on the 572.

Seems like husqvarna is saving ”jersey numbers” and they wanted a solid model succeeding the 272, 372 to pin reputation on. They put a lot of time into development and testing and addressed issues like bearing failure on older saws along with experience from failures of earlier autotune saws. I’m looking at you, 550xp (mk1) and 562xp (early revisions).

Power to weight is excellent, even with it being an extremely durably built saw. It’s more powerful than the 272/372. In the wood, it apparently competes just fine with the Stihl analogs (462 etc), but I honestly cant speak there from personal experience. Yes, you’re going to get a better ratio with the 90cc saws (duh), or the 500i sthil, which is also in it’s own class in other respects, including price, availability, etc.

Air filtration is the best I’ve seen on any saw, and without the “high top” that makes ergos a bit harder.

Fuel usage is very much “wtf how is my tank still full?!“

I should say I’m NOT happy that the autotune system is essentially a sealed black box. I’d love to see open source Common Service Tool software. It simply hasn’t been a point of failure though.

The only problems we’ve had with this saw have been bad gas. Full stop.

Pro-tip: Tru-Fuel sucks. Nothing but problems with that stuff. Harder starts, poor power. Fresh off the pump 87 with random 2cycle oil is preferable. Mind that I’m not throwing canned fuel in general under the bus.

It’s too easy to forget that these are still carbureted engines. They’ll run on less than ideal fuel, but if the carb is set for good fuel and the the tank is full of crap, yeah, starting is more of a challenge. It’ll adjust FAST once it wakes up, but if the engine isn’t turning, the carb isn’t adjusting.
I Agee, the auto tune and m-tronic should be like obd 2 on vehicles. Accessible to anyone that wants it.

The 572xp is a good saw, but honestly doesn't compare to the 400 or 462. Husqy ran scared when they designed it.
I started out as a Husky guy, at one time they made up most of my quiver. That being said, Stihl has been killing it in recent years with saws for the pro/semi-pro crowd. At this point, I've got time on the 400, 462, and 500i, and all 3 of them lead their class in power/weight. It's probably not a big deal to the guy occaisonally cutting firewood, but when I'm out running tank after tank all day, I appreciate the weight savings.

I can only speak as I find, and now I'm retired there is no pressure to cut in all weather and keep chasing your tail.
I am and always will be a husqvarna fan, they just do it for me. My favourites are 266 and 254, these cut anything I have ever come across and served me very well for years, now they are play saws. 365 is a great saw and my latest is 550 which to be honest so far I am not very impressed, maybe I'm too old to change but I like to tune a saw myself and if I think it need to be a little rich I can do that. The 550 does cut fast but always seem (to me) a little on the lean side....and cant do anything about it as its autotune🤔
I may let this saw go, we will see. But one things for sure, this series (5) saw will not last like the 2 and 3 series saws, the younger guys probably wont agree but I still use the saws I had before they were born. Oh that does make me feel my aches more
Time will indeed tell. I think it’s accurate to say that their lifespans will be more predictable. Case in point: How many times have you seen guys run the truck saw on a worksite, or a homeowner cutting firewood running stupid out of tune, and they have no freaking clue? Those saws aren’t around anymore. They get gunked up or burned out, and their owners will bend your ear about how crappy the saw was. Hey, I’ve been that guy.

But yes, a pre-strato unlimited poweraxe in the hands of someone who KNOWS how to tune is a nearly guaranteed heirloom legendary weapon. No argument there.

As for proper tuning on the auto saws, it’s definitely not “starved” or “burning” lean. I’m not unhappy with that, especially seeing with older engine styles and oils, you HAVE to have some fat fuel to provide lubrication and heat dissipation.

Meh. Seems like the best place for autotune systems is either on homeowner saws or production saws. The first guy uniformly can’t tune and needs it. The second doesn’t want to fiddle with things, just get the trees on the truck, they’re replacing the saws every other year or so anyway.

Time will indeed tell. I think it’s accurate to say that their lifespans will be more predictable. Case in point: How many times have you seen guys run the truck saw on a worksite, or a homeowner cutting firewood running stupid out of tune, and they have no freaking clue? Those saws aren’t around anymore. They get gunked up or burned out, and their owners will bend your ear about how crappy the saw was. Hey, I’ve been that guy.

But yes, a pre-strato unlimited poweraxe in the hands of someone who KNOWS how to tune is a nearly guaranteed heirloom legendary weapon. No argument there.

As for proper tuning on the auto saws, it’s definitely not “starved” or “burning” lean. I’m not unhappy with that, especially seeing with older engine styles and oils, you HAVE to have some fat fuel to provide lubrication and heat dissipation.

Meh. Seems like the best place for autotune systems is either on homeowner saws or production saws. The first guy uniformly can’t tune and needs it. The second doesn’t want to fiddle with things, just get the trees on the truck, they’re replacing the saws every other year or so anyway.
Yep, they aren't running lean. I only have one Autotune Husky, but quite a bit of experience with M-tronic Stihls. When I do a tear down on an m-tronic, I can see that they aren't running lean...if anything, I probably run my adjustable carb saws in a slightly leaner state of tune.

Well the question is about a 70cc class saw, to me that's 70 to 80cc.
My only interest in this class is to mill spruce and perhaps at the sawbuck so cc is king, but if I used it for regular felling and bucking in the woods - I would probably go for a MS400 or Husky562, or the Echo equivalent...
I don't need that in the field though, I have all I want and need with my MS241cm for the regular firewood where I live.

Yep, they aren't running lean. I only have one Autotune Husky, but quite a bit of experience with M-tronic Stihls. When I do a tear down on an m-tronic, I can see that they aren't running lean...if anything, I probably run my adjustable carb saws in a slightly leaner state of tune.
People think they are running lean because they don't know what a properly tuned saw runs or feels like.

Sorry to thread jack buy buying a like new 372xp fish for 400 bucks... prob hasn't been run 10 times... is 400 a good price? Or should I hold off tia

Sorry to thread jack buy buying a like new 372xp fish for 400 bucks... prob hasn't been run 10 times... is 400 a good price? Or should I hold off tia

Well it is a whole lot more of a saw that your old beat up 036 that isnt running too good- if it is what you want and you can afford it- buy it.

Back