70cc saw opinions based on these factors...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nebuchadnezzar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm thankful for the knowledge shared on forums like this by those who actually have experience with these saws!

So here's what I'm after, and then I'll say the factors influencing my decision:

What I'm after: A primary chainsaw in the 70cc range for nearly every kind of situation, but typically storm debris help. I primarily use an MS 261CM and an MS 661CM, and between the two I've typically been just fine. But now I'm seeing some situations where I'd like a "middle" of the road saw that will now get about 70%+ of my cutting time.

Factors:
Desire- I really want a 572xp, but for what might be a dumb reason. I haven't owned anything from Husqvarna, and I'd like to try the brand. I've owned an MS 250, two 261cm's, a 462cm, a 661cm, and an Echo CS 590. The problem is that I've got a great Stihl dealer, and our Husqvarna dealer can get me anything but it isn't a large part of their (primarily lawnmower) business. No Echo dealers nearby.

Experience- I've owned a 462cm, and with a 24" bar I just didn't feel it had enough power for my needs, thus I sold it and got a 661. For all I know, I had "bad one," because it really did bog down low when buried in pine, and the chain would sometimes fully stop when buried in oak. I've seen plenty of Youtube videos of the 462 having more success with a 24" bar though, so I may be willing to give it another go.

Rain- So far I've done most of my work in decent weather, but I wouldn't mind a saw that can be run in the rain also if possible. I've emailed both Stihl and Husqvarna about this, and their response was basically this:
Stihl: "Please don't!"
Husqvarna: "Bring it!"
I have no idea if that is wisdom or not, just passing the info along to see if anyone has real experience using one of these saws in the rain and it being fine.

Lastly- I'm open to the 500i also, but the main thing holding me back is that many say the saw isn't great for "delicate" work, but that it operates like an on and off switch. I know that chainsaws are designed to be run WOT, but sometimes when felling, I've been watching the top of a tree in the wind and I'm making small adjustments to the back-cut while I wait for the right moment, and I don't want a saw that just flies through the hinge. Also, some have noted the fuel consumption being noticeably worse than the other two saws. And just from the looks of the back, it probably is the worst in this group for inclement weather.

Any insights from those with experience would be much appreciated!

-Andrew

I dunno. I can't see where a wet environment is any harder on a saw powerhead than an outboard, or a jet-ski, or a snowmobile. I do blow mine off with an air hose and run it a bit to get the excess moisture out of the roller tip and off the chain it gets wet, but not much more.

Hello all!

I'm thankful for the knowledge shared on forums like this by those who actually have experience with these saws!

So here's what I'm after, and then I'll say the factors influencing my decision:

What I'm after: A primary chainsaw in the 70cc range for nearly every kind of situation, but typically storm debris help. I primarily use an MS 261CM and an MS 661CM, and between the two I've typically been just fine. But now I'm seeing some situations where I'd like a "middle" of the road saw that will now get about 70%+ of my cutting time.

Factors:
Desire- I really want a 572xp, but for what might be a dumb reason. I haven't owned anything from Husqvarna, and I'd like to try the brand. I've owned an MS 250, two 261cm's, a 462cm, a 661cm, and an Echo CS 590. The problem is that I've got a great Stihl dealer, and our Husqvarna dealer can get me anything but it isn't a large part of their (primarily lawnmower) business. No Echo dealers nearby.

Experience- I've owned a 462cm, and with a 24" bar I just didn't feel it had enough power for my needs, thus I sold it and got a 661. For all I know, I had "bad one," because it really did bog down low when buried in pine, and the chain would sometimes fully stop when buried in oak. I've seen plenty of Youtube videos of the 462 having more success with a 24" bar though, so I may be willing to give it another go.

Rain- So far I've done most of my work in decent weather, but I wouldn't mind a saw that can be run in the rain also if possible. I've emailed both Stihl and Husqvarna about this, and their response was basically this:
Stihl: "Please don't!"
Husqvarna: "Bring it!"
I have no idea if that is wisdom or not, just passing the info along to see if anyone has real experience using one of these saws in the rain and it being fine.

Lastly- I'm open to the 500i also, but the main thing holding me back is that many say the saw isn't great for "delicate" work, but that it operates like an on and off switch. I know that chainsaws are designed to be run WOT, but sometimes when felling, I've been watching the top of a tree in the wind and I'm making small adjustments to the back-cut while I wait for the right moment, and I don't want a saw that just flies through the hinge. Also, some have noted the fuel consumption being noticeably worse than the other two saws. And just from the looks of the back, it probably is the worst in this group for inclement weather.

Any insights from those with experience would be much appreciated!

-Andrew
Well I'm not the experienced guy you seek input from, but considering your saws are a 261 and 661 with nothing in between - Id say it would be only natural to miss something in between there.
And I would ask myself; what is the most important - light weight and maneuverability (MS400) or maximum power (MS500) or just a solid long lasting reliable tool (Husky 572).
I know how to sharpen my chains and I don't need a long bar to fell a tree, so for me the MS400 with a 20" would be tempting as I like light weight and maneuverability. If I needed a 24" bar I would consider the Husky 572xp or MS462, and if I wanted to replace the 661 with a more lightweight and slightly less powerful saw I would consider the MS500.

I own a 400 and I've got a 462R I used at work. In the case of the 462, IDK if yours was an older version...but I know they did make some changes to the saw a couple years ago. The one I use is newer, and once broke in, I'm happy with the power. Even then, I know torque isn't exactly its strong suit. I'm running a 28" lwb on that saw, the only time I really have issues pulling that bar is in dead standing oak that is dried out.

I really like my 400, it's a sweet little saw. In stock form, I don't think it's that far behind the 462 on power. It's quite literally 70cc power w/60cc weight. In stock form, I'd say that a 24" is kinda their limit on the bar. They can run a 28" in softwoods, but the oiler doesn't really oil well w/ that bar. I ended up doing some port/machine work to my 400 and put the 461R HO oiler control bolt, and now it runs a 28" with ease. I love that saw, but all the work I did to it doesn't make much financial sense...it's basically for someone who really loves the 400.

I've got a 500i as well, I wouldn't run the stock filter set up in rain...I'm running a Max-flow on mine. As far as the power, your fears are going to be unfounded. Yes it likes to be run open, but I don't think you'll have issues with cutting too fast. The power/weight ratio on the 500 is awesome, I love it as a falling saw and I run a 32" lwb on it.

Both the 400 and 462 have the air injected-style air intake, so I don't really see wet weather as a problem. The filters stay clean for a long time. One thing I don't like about the 462 and 500i, is the clutch cover. It's undersized, loads up with chips easily, and flings chips everywhere when falling with those saws. I make do with them, but I'm considering an expensive aftermarket solution on my personal 500i. The stock 400 cover isn't the greatest either(same one as the 261,) but it came with a larger cover when I converted it to a wrap handle model.

Never had any issues with my 462. Ran great cutting hardwood but I was only running a 20" bar. It got stolen back during the height of the pandemic and the only saw available was a 400. Again I am only running a 20"bar. Great saw. I got my 462 back and stihl find myself picking up the 400 most of the time. I don't normally cut in the rain because I'm a wimp but I'll cut in snow all day long.

I would not use the winter filter on any saw, ever. Even in the winter.
So you referring to the wet or dry filter? Wet filter is a fine plastic grid, dry filter is kinda wholly felt like fabric.
Id say the wholly felt like filter is more effective, but in wet conditions it might get clogged too quickly.

Thank you for your thoughts!

If the 462 and 661 didn’t suit your needs i dont know if any 70cc saws will. Maybe find another 661 or a 592 and send it to a reputable porter.
^So I'm not disappointed at my 661cm at all. I'd wholeheartedly recommend one to others, as mine has been great and has plenty of power for my needs. I'm looking for a saw that I'll use more often though, as I'm often hiking around on uneven terrain and don't absolutely need a 661 for everything.

I like the weight of the 400, as some of you have suggested, but If I want to use primarily a 24" bar then I'm not thinking it will do the trick.

Does anyone think I should NOT get a 572xp if my dealer sells them but chainsaws seem like a small portion of their business, like maybe 10%? It seems like a reliable saw and would pull a 24" bar no problem, but then again, some of you seem to think the 462cm would perform about the same? I'm no chainsaw tech, but I've heard positive things about 572xp bearings and negative things about nylon cages, whatever that means.

I own a 400 and I've got a 462R I used at work. In the case of the 462, IDK if yours was an older version...but I know they did make some changes to the saw a couple years ago. The one I use is newer, and once broke in, I'm happy with the power. Even then, I know torque isn't exactly its strong suit. I'm running a 28" lwb on that saw, the only time I really have issues pulling that bar is in dead standing oak that is dried out.

That's helpful. I'm not sure whether my 462 was before or after the change, but you think yours after break-in would be great with a 24" bar?

So you referring to the wet or dry filter? Wet filter is a fine plastic grid, dry filter is kinda wholly felt like fabric.
Id say the wholly felt like filter is more effective, but in wet conditions it might get clogged too quickly.
There is no dry or wet filter. Its winter filter and summer filter. The winter filter is a plastic mesh. They let lots of particles pass through and they are not even needed in the winter in my expiwreance.

There is no dry or wet filter. Its winter filter and summer filter. The winter filter is a plastic mesh. They let lots of particles pass through and they are not even needed in the winter in my expiwreance.
I like the summer filter best too.

I like the summer filter best too.
Years ago I used the winter filters when cutting in snow. What I found was way to much sawdust got sucked into the saw.
Opening your winter shutter and using the recoil fin blockoff plate keeps the summer filters from icing up anyways, but honestly this isnt a issue with a saw with a air injection type setup.

Thank you for your thoughts!

^So I'm not disappointed at my 661cm at all. I'd wholeheartedly recommend one to others, as mine has been great and has plenty of power for my needs. I'm looking for a saw that I'll use more often though, as I'm often hiking around on uneven terrain and don't absolutely need a 661 for everything.

I like the weight of the 400, as some of you have suggested, but If I want to use primarily a 24" bar then I'm not thinking it will do the trick.

Does anyone think I should NOT get a 572xp if my dealer sells them but chainsaws seem like a small portion of their business, like maybe 10%? It seems like a reliable saw and would pull a 24" bar no problem, but then again, some of you seem to think the 462cm would perform about the same? I'm no chainsaw tech, but I've heard positive things about 572xp bearings and negative things about nylon cages, whatever that means.

That's helpful. I'm not sure whether my 462 was before or after the change, but you think yours after break-in would be great with a 24" bar?
Mine lives with a 28" bar, I've never even had less than a 28 mounted on it. The only place I've ever had it struggle,l was in dead, standing, burned &sun-bleached oak. In that case, I wasn't surprised as those particular trees would be miserable to cut with any saw...they dry out instead of rotting and seem to pick up extra hardness. Even then, it had as much to do with my rakers as anything...my chain was set up for cutting softwoods and was a bit too grabby on that oak.

I wasn't really impressed with the 462 when new, but it really came around after several tanks. The 400 was the same in this regard.

I've never run a 572, everyone's gone to Stihl around here, but it sounds like they are a torquey saw for their size. I guess they don't mind running longer bars. My only knock against them, is they look a little hefty on the spec sheet.

Back