70cc saw opinions based on these factors...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In idaho soft wood I tried the 90cc stock and ported game.
The saw in my sig pic is a 66 that I used to put down a big fir pictured way over 36" under 5ft I csnt remember exacthow big.
I normaly like to fell trees that arent much bigger than a 32" bar

Ive Bern thinking about reviving my 44 with a 54mm 046 top end.

Otherwise ive just found I keep going back to 70cc as thats the biggest I like to cut with all day.

Ive I lived in hard wood country 90cc might be used more.

I to am unsure about 500i id Luke to get a hold of one so I can compare it to my 372.
Im not up on whst the 462 462 saws are if they are auto tune junk id probly just build a old 460 or just put more intrest in my 44.
Why you post about saws in a gun thread?

My Son has a Cadex , skeltetonized stock AR platform chambered in .308 Winchester with a bipod & suppressor system . Has shot 2 moose & several deer & a couple caribou with it . Not my cup of tea appearance wise , how ever well made chassis fully validated by the military , police & security services & thousands of satisfied hunters & shooters . Then again I am so old school , it took a few yrs to get my head around synthetic stocks ! ;)

I guess it’s all preference with bar length and what you expect. I keep a 28” on my 400 also, and I’ve never had any trouble with power at all. We went through a decent patch of white oaks Friday, good many were 24-25” at the cut and the 400 eats it up.
With steep ground here I quit carrying a bigger saw around.

Now I know that’s not a big tree, but I am trying to work quickly and the saw definitely doesn’t slow me down any. I bore cut almost every time, and I don’t feel the need for more power.
I guess it’s all preference with bar length and what you expect. I keep a 28” on my 400 also, and I’ve never had any trouble with power at all. We went through a decent patch of white oaks Friday, good many were 24-25” at the cut and the 400 eats it up.
With steep ground here I quit carrying a bigger saw around.

Now I know that’s not a big tree, but I am trying to work quickly and the saw definitely doesn’t slow me down any. I bore cut almost every time, and I don’t feel the need for more power.
Parkerpusher - RE 400 w 28” bar. Do you run full comp or skip chain?

It's not hard. It just takes longer.
And to be clear an AR-15 has zero advantages for my use and some disadvantages.
For a a big game hunting gun I can see zero reason to use one. Again no advantages and lots of disadvantages for my use.
Well then don't use one , however also do not condem or ridicule people who do , or call the rifle garbage . They obviously are very effective & accurate weapons in experienced hands , as validated by their military use & choice for sniper usage !

I never said they have no place.
I personally think they are garbage. A few guys use them, but I'm jot sure why at all.
I sure as he'll don't want to hump a AR10 through the mountains and no one that knows what they are doing wants to either.
Not garbage , much more than a few experienced hunters & sportsmen utilizing the platform in numerous chamberings brother ! :rolleyes:

400 weighs 12.8
462 13.2
Isnt that pretty darn close to the same weight 462 taking a very slight weight gain for more power.
Its only 1/2 horse but I bet that half is pretty felt with long bars.

Its a no brainer for me 400 doesnt even need to be thought of. Unless its 5 or 800 cheaper than the 462.

My Son has a Cadex , skeltetonized stock AR platform chambered in .308 Winchester with a bipod & suppressor system . Has shot 2 moose & several deer & a couple caribou with it . Not my cup of tea appearance wise , how ever well made chassis fully validated by the military , police & security services & thousands of satisfied hunters & shooters . Then again I am so old school , it took a few yrs to get my head around synthetic stocks ! ;)
I think i have more synthetic stocks and laminated stocks then solid wood stocks anymore. Most the guns I buy for hunting are stainless as well. Dad thinks I'm crazy, but I don't have to worry about moisture getting in the stock either, and more then once I've been out and got caught in the rain. Definatly doesn't look or feel as nice in the hand.
400 weighs 12.8
462 13.2
Isnt that pretty darn close to the same weight 462 taking a very slight weight gain for more power.
Its only 1/2 horse but I bet that half is pretty felt with long bars.

Its a no brainer for me 400 doesnt even need to be thought of. Unless its 5 or 800 cheaper than the 462.
All but $400.00 cheaper then the 462 when I bought mine. Which was still about $200.00 more then the 362. I do think they should have just pulled the 362 off the market and not charged much more for the 400.

I think i have more synthetic stocks and laminated stocks then solid wood stocks anymore. Most the guns I buy for hunting are stainless as well. Dad thinks I'm crazy, but I don't have to worry about moisture getting in the stock either, and more then once I've been out and got caught in the rain. Definatly doesn't look or feel as nice in the hand.

All but $400.00 cheaper then the 462 when I bought mine. Which was still about $200.00 more then the 362. I do think they should have just pulled the 362 off the market and not charged much more for the 400.

Yep...if anything, the 400 almost makes the 362 a pointless saw. I've got a lot of time running all 3 of those saws...the 462 just feels like a slightly bigger saw, in both power and weight...I based my decision on what was most important to me with that saw purchase(weight.) I already had a 372 and 044, so I wanted the lightest saw I could get that still had similar power.

Comparing the 362 to the 400...they handle identically to me. The 400 revs faster and runs wayyyyy stronger than the 362. Stihl claims the 400 weighs .4 lbs more than the 362, but I suspect that number may be made up by Stihl...especially considering the piston is lighter on the 400, and I suspect the crank is also. I've weighed the 400 and 462(both wrap handles,) and the 462 is nearly 1/2 lb more than the 400.

If we keep playing the sliding scale of weight vs power, one could argue that the 500i makes the 462 irrelevant. The weight difference between the 500 vs 462 is similar to the weight difference between the 462 vs 400. From my experience, the power difference between the 500i and 462 feels greater than the other comparison. I personally don't think the 462 is irrelevant. I had the choice of almost any modern saw available at work and I went with the 462R for a variety of reasons.

Not garbage , much more than a few experienced hunters & sportsmen utilizing the platform in numerous chamberings brother ! :rolleyes:
I said I think they are garbage.... I dont know of any top flight hunter that uses one out here.
Wether you like them or Sean likes them or not is no skin off my back.

51fmSP16MpL._AC_SY450_.jpg
Bout all your allowed here now if you happened to have farted without permission when you were 17.

What was once 3 pages and a interview is now 40 pages and fxxk if you even had a speeding ticket 15 years ago they say nope.

Wish I got my licence years ago but since old mate blew away the Muslims that's it now. No more ARs no semis unless rim fire and an abortion of a licence.

People getting into bows more now

My main hunting gun has a Darcy Echols Legand Carbon Fiber stock. It's a Model 70 Stainless magnum action in 300 RUM, Jewell trigger set to 1lb, Rock Creek #2 barrel and trued up by Greg Tannel. Last week I hunted it in the rain for 2 days and snow for 3 days. Never missed a beat and ita nice no worrying about rust or stock swellage.
The only wood stock guns I have are old family relics except for 1 CZ527 204 ruger varmint gun, which isn't exposed to wet weather ever.

View attachment 1028845
Bout all your allowed here now if you happened to have farted without permission when you were 17.

What was once 3 pages and a interview is now 40 pages and fxxk if you even had a speeding ticket 15 years ago they say nope.

Wish I got my licence years ago but since old mate blew away the Muslims that's it now. No more ARs no semis unless rim fire and an abortion of a licence.

People getting into bows more now
Meanwhile in Montana USA I can open carry, concealed carry and drive around with an loaded AR laying on the dash of my truck perfectly legal. No purchase permits or licensing required.

Latest posts

Back