8 HP Kohler "Cast Iron Line" engine for band saw mill?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering if an 8HP Kohler "Cast Iron Line" engine would be suitable for powering an average sized band saw mill, running a fairly fine tooth band saw blade?
Operator would be advancing fairly slowly. Cutting red oak, cherry, birch, maple.
Your thought's of how feasible this engine would be?

Reason for asking is because I want to build a homemade mill, and desire a simple pull-start engine without all the electric starters, voltage regulators, battery, ignition switch, wiring harness, etc.
I won't be a big time, high production operation.

P.S. : I have a 10 HP Cast Iron Line engine on my 1971 John Deere tractor that has been incredible.

I’ve got a 12hp Kohler on mine and it struggles. Have to cut very slow. If you drop the rpms in the cut it’ll ruin your board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve got a 12hp Kohler on mine and it struggles. Have to cut very slow. If you drop the rpms in the cut it’ll ruin your board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is the information I'm looking for Cease232. First hand knowledge from people who are currently running mills with Kohler's on them.
After hearing this, I think I'd be unhappy with the 8 HP Kohler.

Really, my goal should be to get the largest and most powerful pull-start engine.

I don't know now... maybe a Kawasaki, Honda, ??
Maybe a 15 HP. Any bigger than that and it won't be a pull-start.

Back