880 Magnum oil seal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkswmp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can someone help me out on how to replace the crankcase seals on the clutch side of a Stihl MS 880 magnum. Do I have to split the case or not? Or can I just use a small dentist pick or screw and remove it like an 026? Thanks in advance

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

What??? Noone?? So noone has ever had to replace the crank shaft seals in a Stihl 880 magnum before? Wow that's truly impressive that a saw is made that good!!

Hi, I will be changing seals soon on an 088 and will let you know the process, I believe it can be done externally (this has been the case on all the other models of Stihl I have worked on) Regards, Toby. P.s yes these saws really are that good!
Are the seals for both saws the same? I can't find any for the ms880 but can for the 088. Thanks

I've never had to replace seals on a 88. 076 has been the largest.
I have the Stihl seal puller. It's a godsend ( Like their wrist pin retainer install tool). I've used it many times on seals in a non saw application
I paid 3 x what I've seen them for now, online (45.00). Are the knock off as good?? Who knows. I had to modify the legs on mine for a few different saws. What's great about it is it stays away from the surfaces. When the time is taken to use it correctly.
Just a suggestion.

Back