9" chipper motor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynfawr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking at buying my first chipper and trying to decide what size/power is required.
I don't want a huge chipper as I don't want to invest that much money nor can either of my trucks (ranger and f250) really handle it.

I'm looking at a bandit 90xp with a 40hp gas engine. The 9" is big enough to do a lot of the work we get into(not frequently doing large removals) and the smaller engine is keeping the price down.

However I'm worried that it'll simply be too under powered. I haven't demoed the machine yet to see for myself.
Anyone have experience with a machine like this? I was thinking it might make a good starter chipper and that I could upgrade the motor down the road when I've payed it off.

Looking at buying it new as I don't have enough cash to put down for a good used one. All my other equipment is also older and I'm a bit worried about potential for excessive downtime if everything is old and used.

I'm in toronto Ontario. There's a seemingly good bandit dealer nearby.

I dont think 40hp is enough for a 9". A 6" maybe.
I would think 80hp for a gasser and 50-60 for a diesel.
If you're looking at older bandit 90's I would look for the perkins diesel or the ford 4 cyl gas. The air cooled deutz diesel and the Wisconsin gassers are bad for blowing head gaskets from what I understand.

Keep in mind, the majority of what you'll chip is under the limits of the chipper. I chip mostly less than 12" material even though my chipper can handle 12" logs. Most of the material is the branches of 12" trees. I should think an advertised size limit is what the machine, when tuned, tight and sharp, will chip.

Mine is a 12" and 80 hp VM diesel and was $2,400 used. so look around---12" is NOT hard to pull!-- I pulled mine 90 miles home with my 98 Explorer!--Barely knew it was back there. thanks; sonny580

What are you guys towing these 12" chippers with? and how much do they weigh? The new bandit ones look to come in around 5000-5500 lbs. I think I need a bigger truck. Towing is one thing but I still need to carry chips.

Like I said in above post,--pull it between jobs with a 98 Ford Explorer since I just blow the chips back on the ground!--I have used my Ford F-350 diesel truck to chip and haul the chips.--I made quick remove sides that only go on the truck when needed since I use the truck for other jobs.--The 350 plays with full load and pulling the chipper.--I see guys around here with a little bin on the back of their bucket trucks that hold about what my 350 does, so I don't feel too bad! lol!!!
My chipper weight is around 5,800 pounds.--not bad at all---my dump trailer weighs 6,200 empty-----Loaded trailer is 15,000 plus the weight of the truck.
A 1 ton dump truck will work perfect for what you are wanting to do! thanks; sonny

Latest posts

Back