92 or 93 drive links?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czyhorse

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I am looking at getting a 28’ bar and chains for my new Husqvarna 365. Got some pretty large dead Chinese elms to take down which I don't think my 24 in bar can handle. Not sure I can actually get through them all the way with the 28, but it will be closer.

So i found a bar but I am trying to get some chains to go with. When I do the Oregon part finder it says I need 93 drive links. All the web sites who have a look up say 93 links. When I pull up a chain with 93 drive links it says it will fit Husky 365 with a 28” bar. BUT the manual for the saw says 92 drive links on a 28” bar.

There is probably something here I dont understand can anyone help me figure which i should be buying.

I guess another question I should ask is do i need the 28” or can I safely do it with the 24 by coming in both sides?

Of course you need a 28" bar. We all do. And of course you could probably get your job done with a 24" bar. As far as drive links go, most bars are engraved with their pitch / gauge / and number of drive links. Is it a husqvarna bar or an oregon? If it is a husky bar i'd probably go with what your saw manual says.

Which leads to of course we all need our own chain breakers and spinners, for situations like this. Wait, did you mean 28' bar ?

Of course you need a 28" bar. We all do. And of course you could probably get your job done with a 24" bar. As far as drive links go, most bars are engraved with their pitch / gauge / and number of drive links. Is it a husqvarna bar or an oregon? If it is a husky bar i'd probably go with what your saw manual says.

Which leads to of course we all need our own chain breakers and spinners, for situations like this. Wait, did you mean 28' bar ?
I’m looking at an Oregon bar. I’ve had good luck with them. They are kinda heavy though. Wish I could justify paying double for a Sugihara. Any way what you are saying is it is the bar that dictates the number of drive links?

I am reasonably certain thats how it works, though I only have stihl in my garage, the few oregon bars ive used have had chain info stamped on their side near the heel.

Go off the bar for driver count. My 36" bar called for 115dl, I got 114dl chain because that's what I thought I needed. (And what the stihl bar took) this was for my husqy, which needed 115dl. Should have paid attention to the bar. Oh well. Live and learn.

Go off the bar for driver count. My 36" bar called for 115dl, I got 114dl chain because that's what I thought I needed. (And what the stihl bar took) this was for my husqy, which needed 115dl. Should have paid attention to the bar. Oh well. Live and learn.
So the number in my Husky manual was for a Husky bar. For an Oregon bar I should go off of what it says. Wish this stuff was a bit more standardized.

Who knows what bar it was for. And who cares. Go with what your bar calls for. D009 mount 28” is gonna be 93dl.

On the odd chance that the relative position of the drive sprocket is such that 92 fits better, it should be easy enough to pop out a link. Buy one loop for starters to confirm. But I’d bet it will be 93.

I think you will find with a 7 tooth sprocket 92 will work with lots of adjustment to be had for stretch and a 93 will work but not leave for much adjustment. If you use an 8 tooth, pretty sure you' need 93dl. I put a 28in on a 365 i sold last year and that is what i think i remember. Think it was a gb titanium bar, if not, probably Oregon.

Back