A few Husqvarna 165 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtfireman85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a 97’ 165, looks to have had a reasonably easy life. I haven’t done anything to it yet but planned on a compression test, and pending that passing, new rubber parts, filters, plug etc.
i see some discussion of a 372 jug and piston fitting it, whats the story with this, mine seems to be a straight 165, not a special or an XP or anything and it seems they changed bore size somewhere along the line.
Is the real difference between a 97’ 165 and a 97’ 172 really just the piston and jug or is there something else that separates them?
What years or sub models are different from mine and what parts should I avoid due to fitment conflicts and what ones should i look for for upgrades?
Anything special I should check that was a known weakness of the 165?
Anything else I have forgotten?
Thanks.

There were two versions of the original edition 365. The better one in my opinion was the closed port cylinder which has the round intake manifold that is attached to the cylinder with a hose clamp. If you have this one, I wouldn't swap over to the 372xp cylinder, because they are very strong as they are. The other one had a bolt on intake manifold.
Also, if you were thinking of swapping cylinders, the 372xp xTorq will not fit it, and isn't an upgrade anyways for an OE 365.

Compression feels low to me, my compression tester is an automotive style and has a foot of hose, I haven’t had good luck testing chainsaws with it. If you pick it up by the cord it slowly drops , and it pulls over pretty easily. Maybe I should do a leak down test to see if or where it is loosing?

I opened things up a little this morning before work, found a Chinky carburetor on it. I think it is supposed to have a Walbro HD12-1 i am inclined to not even screw with this carb.

Attachments

• B94DE0BB-F298-474D-AB4D-A78BEE9F4D4F.jpeg
    B94DE0BB-F298-474D-AB4D-A78BEE9F4D4F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Back