A hiding and a big lesson...how turn a $180 guide bar into an expensive shovel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Kunte

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi all!

Had an experience about 3 weeks ago which I'd like to share with you all. We had to remove a large Bluegum (Eucalyptus) tree. As it turned out, the base measured 1.7m across (about 5.5 ft), so it was a biggie. The first clue that trouble was afoot was the huge overhanging bough, measuring a good 35 ft in length, and attached at a precarious angle of around 45 degrees. Plenty of widowmakers hanging above. Old fencing wire embedded in the bottom bough. And a triple leader to boot. A real demon tree if ever there was one!

After careful inspection, we decided to remove the lowest bough first (avoiding the fencing wire), and then proceeded to mark out the face notch with our lumber crayons. Pulled out the trusty MS-661 with the 36" bar and started to cut the face notch. Because of the size and non-cylindrical shape of the trunk, it would have to be made from both sides, since even the 36" bar was not long enough to do it in one take!

I gradually moved to the side of the tree (near the back limit of the face notch), slowly deepening the gunning cut, with the aim of coming in with the second cut from the bottom to make a humboldt notch. Suddenly, the bar started "sticking" (later we were to find out that the cut had started closing), and then I saw drops (I thought they were bar oil) landing on the (horizontal) guide bar. I remember wondering to myself how the bar oil could drip down onto the bar, when my cutting partner, Lenny, (who had been stationed in front of the gunning cut), suddenly called me to say that he had heard cracking noises. Over the noise of the motor, I had not been aware of these noises. Stopping and withdrawing the bar, we could not immediately see an obvious problem, so I powered up again and plunged into the previous cut to continue. Just then the bar became pinched, and we watched as the face cut slowly pinched down on it until it was totally closed up! :wtf:

We were totally shocked. In 20 years, I had never seen a gunning cut close up on me before. Then Lenny saw it - the whole trunk had started splitting vertically, about 20" in from the front. Around 6 feet up, the split was large enough to put your hand into. This split was also the source of the "mystery bar oil", which was running down behind the bark, and then dripping onto the guide bar. As a precaution, I unbolted the MS-661 power head from the bar and chain, and put it safely behind another stump.

Eventually, we had to cut the trunk/bough higher up (without a face notch), until it separated and came down. Unfortunately, it landed crown first, and the butt came back and turned my new 36" bar into an expensive shovel!:dumb:

If you look in the first still pic, the tree does not look like much. However, if you zoom in, you will see two people standing under it. This gives it some scale.

In the second pic, you will see my bar and chain (right under the wedge) on the white circle. The split is marked in a white frame.

In the video you will see the tree come down and bend the bar....

Lessons learned:

1. Don't cut alone. Look out for your cutting partner, and let him look out for you.
2. The tree is always talking to you. Just listen....:angry:
3. If you see stuff dripping on your bar - STOP and CHECK.
4. If the bar gets "sticky", pull it out. Find out what is going on. It's a much cheaper (and safer) option.
5. When a trunk has become a bough, the forces acting on the remaining trunk are incredible! BEWARE!!
6. Be patient. Our tree closed down slowly (probably took about 30 seconds to happen)
7. It a tree is too much for you, walk away. No shame.
8. Even the best-laid plans sometimes go wrong. That's how it is.
9. I now have a spare nose sprocket to keep for when the current one wears out....:innocent:

The great thing about Bluegums is that they are amazingly tough trees. They almost never split. Even with poor technique they can be "butchered" over with very little risk. Not advocating this, just saying....:drinkingcoffee:

Anyway, I hope somebody can take away a lesson from my misfortune. Thumbs up to Lenny for replacing my bar for me - you are a scholar and a gentleman, man!

Mike
P.S. It seems I can't upload a video. If you want to see it, you will have to help me upload it.
big_euc_portrait.jpg big_euc_landscape.jpg
big_euc_shovel_01.jpg big_euc_shovel_02.jpg

Eww a es light bar too [emoji26]

At least there were no human injuries.

Stihl 025 for sale
Stihl 250 for sale
Stihl 026 for sale
Stihl 460 for sale
Stihl 441c for sale
Personal Saws
Stihl 192t
Stihl 260 pro
Stihl 460

Hi all!

Had an experience about 3 weeks ago which I'd like to share with you all. We had to remove a large Bluegum (Eucalyptus) tree. As it turned out, the base measured 1.7m across (about 5.5 ft), so it was a biggie. The first clue that trouble was afoot was the huge overhanging bough, measuring a good 35 ft in length, and attached at a precarious angle of around 45 degrees. Plenty of widowmakers hanging above. Old fencing wire embedded in the bottom bough. And a triple leader to boot. A real demon tree if ever there was one!

After careful inspection, we decided to remove the lowest bough first (avoiding the fencing wire), and then proceeded to mark out the face notch with our lumber crayons. Pulled out the trusty MS-661 with the 36" bar and started to cut the face notch. Because of the size and non-cylindrical shape of the trunk, it would have to be made from both sides, since even the 36" bar was not long enough to do it in one take!

I gradually moved to the side of the tree (near the back limit of the face notch), slowly deepening the gunning cut, with the aim of coming in with the second cut from the bottom to make a humboldt notch. Suddenly, the bar started "sticking" (later we were to find out that the cut had started closing), and then I saw drops (I thought they were bar oil) landing on the (horizontal) guide bar. I remember wondering to myself how the bar oil could drip down onto the bar, when my cutting partner, Lenny, (who had been stationed in front of the gunning cut), suddenly called me to say that he had heard cracking noises. Over the noise of the motor, I had not been aware of these noises. Stopping and withdrawing the bar, we could not immediately see an obvious problem, so I powered up again and plunged into the previous cut to continue. Just then the bar became pinched, and we watched as the face cut slowly pinched down on it until it was totally closed up! :wtf:

We were totally shocked. In 20 years, I had never seen a gunning cut close up on me before. Then Lenny saw it - the whole trunk had started splitting vertically, about 20" in from the front. Around 6 feet up, the split was large enough to put your hand into. This split was also the source of the "mystery bar oil", which was running down behind the bark, and then dripping onto the guide bar. As a precaution, I unbolted the MS-661 power head from the bar and chain, and put it safely behind another stump.

Eventually, we had to cut the trunk/bough higher up (without a face notch), until it separated and came down. Unfortunately, it landed crown first, and the butt came back and turned my new 36" bar into an expensive shovel!:dumb:

If you look in the first still pic, the tree does not look like much. However, if you zoom in, you will see two people standing under it. This gives it some scale.

In the second pic, you will see my bar and chain (right under the wedge) on the white circle. The split is marked in a white frame.

In the video you will see the tree come down and bend the bar....

Lessons learned:

1. Don't cut alone. Look out for your cutting partner, and let him look out for you.
2. The tree is always talking to you. Just listen....:angry:
3. If you see stuff dripping on your bar - STOP and CHECK.
4. If the bar gets "sticky", pull it out. Find out what is going on. It's a much cheaper (and safer) option.
5. When a trunk has become a bough, the forces acting on the remaining trunk are incredible! BEWARE!!
6. Be patient. Our tree closed down slowly (probably took about 30 seconds to happen)
7. It a tree is too much for you, walk away. No shame.
8. Even the best-laid plans sometimes go wrong. That's how it is.
9. I now have a spare nose sprocket to keep for when the current one wears out....:innocent:

The great thing about Bluegums is that they are amazingly tough trees. They almost never split. Even with poor technique they can be "butchered" over with very little risk. Not advocating this, just saying....:drinkingcoffee:

Anyway, I hope somebody can take away a lesson from my misfortune. Thumbs up to Lenny for replacing my bar for me - you are a scholar and a gentleman, man!

Mike
P.S. It seems I can't upload a video. If you want to see it, you will have to help me upload it.
View attachment 682695 View attachment 682696
View attachment 682697 View attachment 682698
That’ll buff out!:)

Back