A Mini Mill by Timber Tuff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have that exact same tool and I also bought it from Amazon. I recommend to take the time to drill your bar (use a sharp drill bit and drill slow).. I don't use it nearly as often as I thought I would but it does work good. I don't use 2x4's anymore as the 2x6 is much better. Make sure you have a very straight board.

I've got one that is about 45 years old. I used it 2-3 years ago to mill some pine 6X6's. It did "OK". In six inches one side might be out 1/4 inch. That might have been in my 2X6 guide board. It was close enough for what I needed. The price is right, Joe.

I ordered it. Worthy logs will be milled and the boards will be put aside for some drying time. I have goals of making a large smoker in the near future, and then a sauna. Sweating out every pore, in a 6x8 sauna in the dead of winter appeals to me.

f05bf50e67faf903c97d342cf5275974.jpg

I did watch a couple of videos. It's a tool for the cheap, handy and infrequent user. Looks like a lot of work, but at the price it will be a good test and possibly a permanent solution to the occasional board needs.

I've got one that is about 45 years old. I used it 2-3 years ago to mill some pine 6X6's. It did "OK". In six inches one side might be out 1/4 inch. That might have been in my 2X6 guide board. It was close enough for what I needed. The price is right, Joe.

The Mini Mill showed up yesterday. A solid piece of equipment. In another month, I might get to try it out. Years past all the snow would be melted but the higher elevations. This record setting year, I've still several feet of snow. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

For a few simple rough cut boards, this looks like a good value.

Timber Tuff TMW-56 Lumber Cutting Guide --

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CNRL6TQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A19XE0CFLN81HP

Is this a tool that will hold up over the course of a few years?
I've got one that I only use for edging or cutting legs from 3 or4" thick short slabs. It is less stable than a HF I got years ago and misplaced last year. 1 x 3 AL rectangular tubing worked very well w HF but TMW 56 doesn't work as well even w 1/4" bolt thru to take spring out of set screw tightening, allows for firm clamping of bar. Your mileage may vary

Amazon has quite a few complaints of broken ones but some then turn around & buy 2 more.
For us sometimes it's good for the top 2 sides, then use the mill - saves time but we loose the slanted grain.

I'm wondering if I could use one of these in conjunction with the Alaskan mill. Use this to slab off three sides, then mill the desired thickness with the Alaskan?
We do that sometimes. You'll probably want to drill two holes in saw bar for for the Timber Tuff connection. Those bars can be tough; best to use 2 good metal bits up to the 1/4" hole. Use cutting oil and very slow drill, if you get the bar hot if will harden and your in for a tussle.

I'm wondering if I could use one of these in conjunction with the Alaskan mill. Use this to slab off three sides, then mill the desired thickness with the Alaskan?
I've used the Alaskan to have the thickness from center even end to end. Then whichever 90° guide can set width without rolling cant. Boards 'r posts are lifted off.
But I minimize efforts as much as possible 😂
I've also drilled thru bar for the center on casting, between lock hexes. Tap it for 1/4" bolt. That prevents the cast hand from springing loose from good hold on bar by the clampers on each side of it

I have one. It was my first cheap way into milling so that I didn't have to buy a whole chainsaw mill. I made a rail out of a 2x6 that I could adjust the height so that I could mill logs vertically. It worked ok.

I only use mine now when I need to edge a log into a cant, or edge a slab that is thicker than what my makita 9-3/4" tracksaw can cut. I don't use mine very often, but I'm glad I have it when I need it!

Back