A ranty on new husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I completely agree with that assessment.
However, the M-Tronic system can be recalibrated in any location, simply, and in any environment. Do a muffler mod, no problem. Port it, no problem.... Meanwhile.... the auto tune needs a 30+ second cut ..... What an awesome idea, because that's practical.
I am by no means saying that husky doesn't make quality saws. But they really seem to be way behind the curve. And dealership support is stunningly atrocious. Especially after Electrolux FORCED the disenfranchisement of thousands of dealers.

Interesting, I have 5 auto tunes and love them all, 2253,2-2260’s, 2258, and 572. Never had anything like you’re referring too with them. I’m a little suspect when the guy says “I’m a Stihl guy” then goes on a rant about how big of a pos a husky is. Kinda ironic you have 2 auto tunes and you can’t get either of them to run! Best of luck to you on them.

Again.... I'm not denying nor suggesting against the absolute fact.. that husky makes good saws. But the amount of issues.... undeniable issues...far outweigh the competition.
How many bearings have failed? How many seals are leaking from the factory? Why do they sell so many short block crankcases?
Why are there multiple updates on the auto-tune.... while the reset procedure isn't even in the manual?
I'm very happy that your experiences have been great. As have countless thousands.
But when it's not, and the manufacturer deliberately closes thousands of dealers and cuts off any part supply..all the while they blame the consumer for simply putting fuel in their product then, when there's a problem, tells you to pound sand up your....
Yeah.
Meanwhile the "other" company will give you a brand new saw, and pay for shipping....
Yeah, I tend to be a bit biased.
If you bought a very expensive pizza and it arrived looking great. Then you took a bite and it tasted like rotten milk.... even though everyone raved about how incredibly it is and was .. especially after having thoroughly enjoying it previously.... Then after gagging, the owner blames you for eating it....
That's alright with you?
I'm a Stihl fan...not a husqvarna hater.
I run every brand frequently. Including old Macs. I'm just saying that Husqvarna has definitely lost it's edge.

Cross your fingers and vote wisely so 10 years from now were not debating what the best batteries run a 10" bar best.

Keep the debates coming.
I for one am not brand loyal anywhere.

I can understand your frustrations but the brand loyalty was built years ago, I bought a 365S years ago and still use it to this day, more for fire wood these days though, only ever serviced it and a couple of petrol pipes, never been mucked around with or rebuilt, been perfect.
I absolutely appreciate that. And the 365s is a phenomenal saw! I have a Jonsered 2065 and I honestly prefer it over the 2171 (372xp). It just has a longer power curve...or something. I actually bought a back up a OEM top end for it years ago...just in case.
Unfortunately the oil tank is leaking from the case gasket, so it's in need of a serious "refreshing".
I understand where the brand loyalty originates am I'm in no way trying to diminish the truly great saws from decades past.
I just can't see how a company, that had absolute success and created some of the most innovative and beloved saws made the decisions that they did.
If you ran 371/372xps (my case they would be the red versions) for 15 years, and then we're blindfolded and handed a 572xp then a 462c.... I don't think anyone honest would choose the 572xp as the direct descendant of those incredible saws.
It seems to me that Husqvarna did not learn from their success and took steps backwards.
Look at the 562xp, which is hands down a great saw! But it's had so many bearing issues... So husky decided to just scale it up??? Instead of realizing that there's an issue in sealed bearings! That's not specific to the 562, as it goes all the way back to the 385. It's a system that is prone to fail. I can't understand that thinking.
Not to mention the eradication of so many local dealerships.
What can compete with the 500i in weight, reliability, and power? Because if I recall, the 371 was a majority favorite over the 046, not necessarily because of how much power it had, but because of weight, and reliability.

By the way... don't run a saw blindfolded, I was being hypothetical.

I’m a landscaper by trade so my saws are not used as frequently as some of you. That and firewood. I have a 562XP-G and it has been totally flawless. The original M-Tronic Stihls were simply using a licensed version of AutoTune, so to say one was better than the other is kind of funny. I run a lot of Husky and Stihl hand power tools that my crew uses, such as trimmers, edgers, hedge cutters, blowers, brooms, etc. I’ve had far better experience with the Husky stuff. I do like the build quality of some of the Stihl equipment (their articulated hedge trimmer is excellent) but I’ve simply had more problems with both the Stihl attachments and power heads. But that’s just my experience; certainly doesn’t mean someone else hasn’t had the opposite experience.

You have a real attitude about husky saws. Why not sell it, and buy another Stihl? That way you don't have to complain all the time about how you hate husky saws. This is like the 3rd thread you started and then turned into brand loyalty. I have a 562 & 572 that both run great and Dad runs a 550. The 562 & 550 have 100+ tanks through them, and no troubles. I have a lot of logger friends running auto tune huskys with no problem, so I think you got a lemon, and really like to whine about it.

Havent had issues with 550xp v1 or v2 or 572, red lever is annoying design , but thats where dealer support is everthing with these new saws, versus before rebuilding carb, vac and compression test, same with new cars and trucks now

You have a real attitude about husky saws. Why not sell it, and buy another Stihl? That way you don't have to complain all the time about how you hate husky saws. This is like the 3rd thread you started and then turned into brand loyalty. I have a 562 & 572 that both run great and Dad runs a 550. The 562 & 550 have 100+ tanks through them, and no troubles. I have a lot of logger friends running auto tune huskys with no problem, so I think you got a lemon, and really like to whine about it.
Yeah, I'm whining.
I'll accept that. And in my opinion, for good reason.
I wouldn't sell this saw for anything. It's extremely sentimental, as I'm sure you've realized by my previous threads.
I'm not trying to poo on husky. But they pooped on me.
Customer service number was absolutely insulting and told me to go find a dealer to test the fuel...of which there's now only ONE within a hundred miles. Five years ago there were at least ten.
The dealer took a week to touch it, and only hooked it up to a computer then told me that it's fine...yet it bogs in the cut, blows smoke and barely idles.
I contacted old friends that are husky guys running multiple saws daily... arborists and production timbermen. They said the same... Good ones are good, but bad ones are bad. You're stuck with what you get.
In my experience, Husqvarna no longer backs up their product. A blatant "we got your money" mindset.
I had to warranty a Stihl. Clutch drum seized in my 362c. They were friendly, notified my preferred dealer and it was fixed in minutes. For free.
Husqvarna told me to find a dealer and test the fuel. That's it. No assistance. No apologies. Not even a "good luck". That's telling, and I'm not the only one with that experience.
Again, I'm a Stihl fan, but not a husky hater. There's a difference.
If yours kicks booty, good for you. That's excellent. Keep her in the wood and smile. Remember I grew up with, learned on, and treasure my Jonsereds..... Which were all red huskies. Never had a single issue that beyond normal wear and tear.
I bought a Stihl to piss my father off when I was in my teens. I got labeled for it and just wore that brand. Not because they're better. Trust me, the 026 is a dog compared to the 346. I love all of the 300 series of saws. They're incredible. I just cannot justify the 500 series.
I read reviews, asked questions, and truly wanted this 550 to be as amazing as the hype.
But when $700 gets you a lemon, with sarcasm... I bet you'd whine as well.
Feel free to dump all over Stihl. I honestly do not care. I know every brand has flaws that are asinine. I get that and accept it. Neither is better nor worse. It's how they're handled and supported that matters to me.
And this experience has been absolutely egregious.

Yeah, I'm whining.
I'll accept that. And in my opinion, for good reason.
I wouldn't sell this saw for anything. It's extremely sentimental, as I'm sure you've realized by my previous threads.
I'm not trying to poo on husky. But they pooped on me.
Customer service number was absolutely insulting and told me to go find a dealer to test the fuel...of which there's now only ONE within a hundred miles. Five years ago there were at least ten.
The dealer took a week to touch it, and only hooked it up to a computer then told me that it's fine...yet it bogs in the cut, blows smoke and barely idles.
I contacted old friends that are husky guys running multiple saws daily... arborists and production timbermen. They said the same... Good ones are good, but bad ones are bad. You're stuck with what you get.
In my experience, Husqvarna no longer backs up their product. A blatant "we got your money" mindset.
I had to warranty a Stihl. Clutch drum seized in my 362c. They were friendly, notified my preferred dealer and it was fixed in minutes. For free.
Husqvarna told me to find a dealer and test the fuel. That's it. No assistance. No apologies. Not even a "good luck". That's telling, and I'm not the only one with that experience.
Again, I'm a Stihl fan, but not a husky hater. There's a difference.
If yours kicks booty, good for you. That's excellent. Keep her in the wood and smile. Remember I grew up with, learned on, and treasure my Jonsereds..... Which were all red huskies. Never had a single issue that beyond normal wear and tear.
I bought a Stihl to piss my father off when I was in my teens. I got labeled for it and just wore that brand. Not because they're better. Trust me, the 026 is a dog compared to the 346. I love all of the 300 series of saws. They're incredible. I just cannot justify the 500 series.
I read reviews, asked questions, and truly wanted this 550 to be as amazing as the hype.
But when $700 gets you a lemon, with sarcasm... I bet you'd whine as well.
Feel free to dump all over Stihl. I honestly do not care. I know every brand has flaws that are asinine. I get that and accept it. Neither is better nor worse. It's how they're handled and supported that matters to me.
And this experience has been absolutely egregious.
Never dumped on Stihl. First saw I ever ran was a mid 90 s 026. It had its problems, but was a great saw to run. I guess I'd be laying more of the blame on my dealer that husky. We have a great dealer, so we're happy with them. Hope it works out for you.

Was the problem 550 bought from a dealer, or was it purchased online? Just wondered why it wasn't taken back to the dealer.
Saw was bought by me, in person in MA, last November, where my father currently lives. I am in NC now and there isn't any dealer support here aside from one, which told me that the saw is fine.... which it certainly is not.
I am going back up there for Christmas, and will bring the saw with me to get a second opinion from the original dealer.... If husky hasn't already pulled their franchising too. Lol
Again, it was a Christmas gift for an old timbermen that was a fanatic for Jonsered. That's why I chose husky.
He suffered a debilitating stroke in February, having not even put fuel in it.
At which point he gave me the saw.

A big motivator for me is that you cant buy Stihl parts online (from a diagram at least). I hate this rule they enforce.

Husky parts diagrams and parts are easy to order.

Waiting for the "but Stihl don't need parts" not really the point though. Parts wear out or get damaged.
since 1991 I’ve had about 30 chainsaws in various brands and sizes. I currently have five working saws. In April 2020 I bought my first cordless 20v, a 12” DeWalt DCCS620P with two batteries fromHome Depot. It has served me well in my tree service work. Today I called replacement parts in Utah to talk with tech support but they do not offer that any more, just selling parts. OK, so I’ll write DeWalt by snail mail to report a few mechanical idiosyncrasies I’ve found or am curious about. If DeWalt decides to improve the saw they might consider my findings. My good friend bought a STIHL cordless they are getting used to For property upkeep on 43 acres. That’s about all I can say.

A big motivator for me is that you cant buy Stihl parts online (from a diagram at least). I hate this rule they enforce.

Husky parts diagrams and parts are easy to order.

Waiting for the "but Stihl don't need parts" not really the point though. Parts wear out or get damaged.
This is why I will NEVER own a Stihl ANYTHING. I've had several Stihl products brought to me for repair, and the process of finding a parts diagram (impossible), or the parts on the net from anywhere besides eBay is also impossible. Then to top it all off, after I drove through a half hour of infuriating MA traffic to order some parts from the local dealer, they charged me SHIPPING charges for the overpriced parts!

I agree that Stihl is very well engineered stuff, but it breaks just as much as anything else. I've had 4-mixes here needing far too frequent valve adjustments (finding clearance specs was like pulling teeth!), hedge trimmers with kill wiring shorting out from the movable handle, attachment drive failures, clogged carburetors, carbon buildup from their crappy (IMO) 2-stroke oil, and everything else that goes wrong with every other brand. I've also had quite a few Stihl owners claim the dealers will flat refuse to make carburetor adjustments due to fear of an EPA raid for tweaking a fuel screw 1/32nd of a turn. Just about every single one I've worked on from weedwhackers to blowers to saws has been set up so lean that they barely start and run! Amazing what a little more fuel will do.

Bottom line for me is, if you're going to make it frustrating and difficult for me to fix your products, then to hell with your products, and go F yourself, Stihl! :)

In an attempt to explain the brand loyalty, I've owned a 455 Rancher for 20 years. The thing just won't misbehave. Even after sitting for 6 months untouched, it will start in 3 priming pulls and a starting pull. Never needed any carb tweaking, has been run on 32:1 and 50:1 with nary a cough. This is what led me to get a 562XP last month. That thing has been a pain to start; it is very finicky. But once I get it going it cuts like nobody's business. I've taken note of the issues others have reported with late-model Huskies so I'll be on the lookout, but no problems so far once I get it running.

Bottom line for me is, if you're going to make it frustrating and difficult for me to fix your products, then to hell with your products, and go F yourself, Stihl! :)
Well what about when there are no more dealers because the manufacturer, in their infinite wisdom, pulled all of the franchise licenses?
And I absolutely agree with your issues and frustrations. However, what is stopping you from obtaining either an IPL or parts availability in MA? Burderelli, in W.Bridgewater. Morgan's in Halifax (expensive). Southeast Equipment in Plymouth. Stewart's in Holbrook. All have given me IPLs and Shop Manuals. Just ask.
Morgan's is actually where I bought this thing, as they are the only one left with a Husqvarna brand backing. All the others lost it despite the sales.
I can't speak on 4mix or whatever, as I buy cheap crap and toss it after the season. My main focus is on saws. That's what I grew up on and relied upon for paying the bills. That's my passion.

Latest posts

Back