a religious refill...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have been moving logs with the Case skidsteer, and one day I decided to see what was in the chain drive for lube...
So, I open them up, and gaze at the milkshake. It figures...
drained out the stuff... and went and split wood for awhile, debating on what to put back in there. Then I realized that I still have quite a stash of
Master Mechanic chainsaw bar oil. I split a little more, and decided, why not?
According to Case, 1.3 gallons capacity... Seemed a little low, considering the 4 some gallons of milkshake I drained out.
I poured one in, and could not even see it. Poured a second in, you can now see a little in there. Dare I do a third?
Yep... that gets it to just the bottom of the chains... 3 it is.
I ran it for several hours that way, and then checked it again. somewhat cloudy but a lot better than it was.
Drained it and refilled it again...

I think it will work good. Sticks to metal, about the right weight... the book calls for "motor oil". which would be find too...

My only potential concerns would be about viscosity under sub-freezing conditions, and how it behaves under long term exposure to water. Not enough info to know how it will do.

I’d think anything is better than nothing! But, with the price of bar oil, unless it’s a special ‘unobtainium’ oil it calls for, (which u said it was just ‘motor oil’) I’d think it would be cheaper to use cheapo brand motor oil! But one must do what ones gotta do! At least when you go to change it, if you can catch it easy enough you’ll still have bar oil to use! Double duty :)

I have been moving logs with the Case skidsteer, and one day I decided to see what was in the chain drive for lube...
So, I open them up, and gaze at the milkshake. It figures...
drained out the stuff... and went and split wood for awhile, debating on what to put back in there. Then I realized that I still have quite a stash of
Master Mechanic chainsaw bar oil. I split a little more, and decided, why not?
According to Case, 1.3 gallons capacity... Seemed a little low, considering the 4 some gallons of milkshake I drained out.
I poured one in, and could not even see it. Poured a second in, you can now see a little in there. Dare I do a third?
Yep... that gets it to just the bottom of the chains... 3 it is.
I ran it for several hours that way, and then checked it again. somewhat cloudy but a lot better than it was.
Drained it and refilled it again...

I think it will work good. Sticks to metal, about the right weight... the book calls for "motor oil". which would be find too...
My concern would be how the water got in there!!

machine was parked outside, before I got it. Rain, snow... leaky seals on inspection covers...
A few years ago, I got a good deal on the MM bar oil... Not exactly the "best" oil... money can buy.
but... since I had a few cases of the stuff here...
Skid steers are not exactly the fastest things moving around, I think cold won't be a problem.

@Patrick62 you only want to run 5 quart in it if it is an 1845C, it will just touch the chains is all, if you get it to high it will leak out the park brake pin hole, there is no seal on the pins. The using bar oil might be a problem when really cold, those chains don't like thick oil, or frozen oil, I have replaced a lot of them that broke because the tanks had the milkshake in them and froze. I always drained them, then dumped a gallon two of diesel in and ran them around then drained, repeat that a time or two and refill, put new gaskets on covers and the washers under the wing nuts. You can't keep the water out if it is outside at all in the rain or snow, or if you wash it lol. Like I said don't over fill them though, you'll end up with the belly full of oil. I worked on them things for several years at the local Case CE dealer.

Thanks!
I am on a learning curve here.
I used it yesterday to move a bunch of splitter litter, the bundle splitting area.
If it just leaks out the pin hole, that won't be too terrible. The lift cylinder leaks worse, I am sure.
Not to mention the leaky return hose down there...

@Patrick62 if you get it way too full it might leak around the axle housings too, the orings are known to not seal very well. The lift cylinders are actually pretty easy and cheap to rebuild if the rods aren't all beat to crap or bent. The 1845c is one of my two favorite Case skidsteers, my dad has one we bought several years ago that had the engine replaced with a turboed and aftercooled 4-390, that thing has way to much power lol, I added 4 60# suitcase weights to the rear sides of it too, it was a little butt light when lifting the Monster rolls of field tile, a roll of 4" tile at 3000 feet long is a bit heavy.

Like I said, I poured a gallon in there. didn't even see it.
Poured a second gallon in there, could then see it... (probably should have stopped there)
Poured a third gallon in, and it is up to the bottom of the visible front chain...
What I drained out... was like 4 something gallons on one side, and over 3 on the other side.
Yeah, mostly water...

From what I have found, the machine's hydraulics are way stronger than the weight it has.
3 large logs, and I did a nose dive. Maybe just carry two...

Once a few more things are out of the way, a grapple would be nice.
I am reasonably proficient with just the forks tho.

I know it doesn't seem like much oil in there, but it really only picks up at the very bottom of the axle sprockets, that and slosh, which we all know skidsteers are good at. I drained one once that was literally running out of the inspection covers, what a friggin mess, had to literally suck it out with a shop vac. If you get a grapple you will really want to add some weight to the rear.

Back