A (sort of) Simple Plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coveredinsap

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Part I of II

Considering the subject matter, this may be my first and last post here...so here goes nothing.

First let me start off by thanking everyone involved in this site for all the good information contained here. This site is a valuable resource for those looking to educate themselves on all things relating to trees and chainsaws. And while there is a fair amount of, er, 'bad' information, opinion and rhetoric here too... the good outweighs the bad, if only one takes the time to cull through it all. Again, there is much to be learned here.

This whole story started about a month ago when two things happened. The first being that my neighbor decided to tear down his old detached garage (which sits right on my property line), and build a new one in its place. The second thing was that someone decide to complain to the city about a tree that sits on my wooded lot and overhangs the aforementioned garage. The tree is a California incense cedar, about 100 feet tall. Over the past few years the top had started to die, probably due to construction done by another neighbor along the tree's drip edge, resulting in the removal of several of the tree's large roots. The end result of all this was that I received a letter from the city code enforcement requesting that I do something about the tree to mitigate the 'hazard'. We won't even get into the fact here that for being a purported 'tree friendly' city (did I mention that I'm located in Northern California?), I have never seen a more tree unfriendly group of neighbors (and city officials) in my life...and I've lived exclusively on wooded lots in a number of different states.

stihl-huskyA.jpg

After discussing the entire situation with the wife, the city, and the neighbor, the decision was made to remove the tree (at a cost of $1125 to be paid by me of course), while it was easy to access now that the old garage had been removed and before the new one could be built. At the same time the decision was made that the fence along the property line shared with this very same neighbor needed to be replaced, and it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a 100' cedar tree contains more than enough useable wood to do the main section of fence that needed to be replaced. The problem was how to mill it.

stihl-huskyB.jpg

Of course, trying to get someone with a portable mill to come and set up for one tree only in exchange for some of the wood was, to mildly put it, a joke. But there was another option. Have the tree service drop the trunk in 6 ft. sections, move them into my driveway (so that construction could start on the new garage) and mill them myself using a chainsaw mill.

stihl-huskyD.jpg

By coincidence, the maker of the Alaskan log mill is located just south of us in Vallejo, CA...so I drove down and paid them a visit, acquiring in the process a Granberg International Alaskan Small Log Mill, and rip chain for my 3-year-old 45cc Homelite Timberman 18" chainsaw. (Very nice people at Granberg International by the way...and they make a fine product.)
http://www.granberg.com/chainsaw_mills.htm

stihl-huskyC.jpg

After quartering the cedar logs (with a sledge and wedges) so that they could be more easily moved, I went to work with the Timberman 45cc and Alaskan mill, cutting the quarterd logs into 2" slabs so that they could be run thru a table saw and turned into 'grape stake' fencing material. After doing one quartered log with the saw, including a pass in which the entire 18" bar was completely buried in the log, I reluctantly came to the conclusion that I was likely going to smoke the saw before I got entirely done with the job. I have to say this, though...that little Homelite sure gave it a go, and more than pulled it's weight for the money I paid for it. Even after milling the log, the Homelite showed no signs of any negative effect for the experience, and continues to be a reliable, excellent running little saw.

I next poured over the chainsaw material available on the internet, hunted down some possible candidates and went to look at them, and finally decided that one of the midrange Stihl saws would be as good a choice as any. ( After all, we're only talking cedar here, it's not like I'm milling oak or walnut or other hardwoods.) So down to the local Stihl dealership I go. After talking with the salesman over what I intended to do with the saw, i.e. 'chainsaw milling', I decided on the Stihl MS390. Let me reiterate...I told the guy exactly what I intended to do with the saw, and he had no problem selling the saw to me for that purpose. One thing that disturbed me though about the entire 'dealership' experience was that the salesman then proceeded to take my brand new saw into the shop (I followed him) where he uncerimoniously tossed some gas and oil into it, put it down on the concrete floor, and started pulling. Once the saw fired up he held the tip of it a few inches above the concrete floor and red-lined it....flat out wide open, for about a minute. He then shut it off, handed it to me, and walked back into the showroom. And that was it. I later read in the manual that the saw was not to be run wide-open with no load until after break-in. Great...just great.

Looking back on it, there were a few clues as to what was in store for me later, the first being when I asked him whether the CalTrans yard next door bought saws from him. "No." "They use Husqvarna." And the second when I asked him why his prices seemed a little high. "You're paying extra for our service." Riiiiiight, I thought.

stihl-husky1.jpg

I must say that the Stihl MS390 seemed like a very nice saw, and appeared to cut well with the mill attachment, although it did seem to be a little weak on the low end, and required a little babying to get it up to speed whenever it started to bog down in a cut. This may have rectified itself after break-in, but I'll never know, as after only three passes thru the cedar (checking the saw and adjusting the chain each time between cuts), I noticed what appeared to be a crack in the Stihl's housing near the oil cap. Sure enough, upon closer examination, the housing was cracked. Needless to say, after paying $519 for the Stihl, and having it break after doing less work than the aforementioned Homelite Timberman 45cc, which was well under $200 and showed no ill effect from similar use...to say I was dissappointed would be an understatement. But it gets worse.

stihl-husky2.jpg

continued in Part II

Part II

(continued from Part I)

I bought the saw on a Thursday. The Stihl broke on a Saturday afternoon, which was when I had finally got around to reading the entire manual and getting it set up with the Granberg Mill. The Stihl dealership where I bought the saw was of course closed for the weekend by that time, so there was nothing I could do until Monday. I put the saw in the garage exactly as it was with the mill attached, to preserve the 'evidence' so to speak, and figured that there would be no problem returning the defective saw, having read somewhere about Stihl's purported '7-day no questions asked return policy'. Now, keep in mind that this is a saw that I had just shelled out over $500 for, and I had been using large pieces of cardboard to set it on while using it so as not to scratch it up. This was my 'baby'.

stihl-husky6.jpg

Monday rolls around, and at about 10AM I'm back at the same Stihl dealership explaining to the same salesman who was there when I bought the saw about what had occurred. It didn't take more than about 30 seconds before I knew where this conversation was headed just by the look on his face and his mannerisms...it was all my fault. With statements such as; "I'll have to call the factory." "This probably qualifies as an illegal modification." "The 7-day return policy doesn't cover illegal modifications to the saw" and other similar statements, the salesman abruptly handed me a service ticket and indicated that I was to take the saw with me and "he'd get back to me". Of course that was entirely unacceptable.

I asked him if this was the level of 'service' that I was paying extra for, and he indicated that "This isn't a box store". "I know it isn't", I replied, "at 'box stores' they actually accept returns of defective goods...evidently you folks don't". I asked him if I could speak to the owner. "He's out of town this week" (How convenient.) "Let's call Stihl right now and ask them about it" I said. "I'm busy now" he replied, even though there was only one other customer in the store....who was being helped by the other salesman. "Let me have Stihl's phone number and I'll call them right now" I said. "No, that's not allowed" he replied. "When are you going to call them?", I asked. "I don't know" he said, "sometime in the next few days". "That's entirely f***ing unacceptable" I said. He shrugged his shoulders as if to say 'so what?', and went back to aimlessly shuffling papers behind the counter.

Now, to turn a phrase....while I might have been born at night, it certainly wasn't last night. I've seen this type of salesman antics before...but normally when dealing with used cars. This guy had no intention whatsoever of calling Stihl...not now or ever, about this saw. His plan was for me to go home with the saw, and after a few days he'd call me up and tell me (sadly) some made-up story about Stihl rejecting the return and/or refusing to honor the warranty. I expected more than this from a Stihl dealership, but evidently I wasn't going to get it.

At this point I told him that not only did I not want the saw, or have anything else to do with it...the saw was his, and I wanted my money back. He just looked at me. At just about that time a lady customer had walked into the store. I turned to her and said something like "Run away, run away fast". She could see the saw on the floor, and had heard enough of the converstaion to know what was going on. "I haven't had a problem with them...yet" she said to me. And with that the Stihl salesman said something like "Fine, I'll return your money right now...give me your credit card...and get that thing off of there" (meaning remove the Alaskan Mill from the saw). "No problem", I said. With that the salesman grudgingly refunded my money, and I thanked him and left the store.

The point of this whole story is that simply by immediately offering to replace the defective saw, the salesman could have turned a bad experience into a good one...and created a loyal customer in the process. Or even by offering to refund my money or give me credit toward a different model saw...my choice. Virtually anything would have been better then what he did do, which was to immediately try to pin the blame on me and refuse to stand behind his product. Now, I can't say whether all Stihl dealerships are run this way, but suffice it to say that I'm not in a hurry to find out anytime soon.

Besides, I actually like getting a product in an unopened box and reading the instructions and putting it together myself, rather than having some schmuck i don't know 'coon-finger' (you know...paw it up like a racoon), my brand new $500 saw exactly like this Stihl salesman did. After all, I'm the one who's going to be taking it apart to do maintenance on it anyways, so I might as well get familiar with it from the get-go. But thats just me...I imagine that some folks like having a dealer hold their hand when they make a purchase... I'm just not one of them.

stihl-husky3.jpg

So what did I end up with? I immediately went to the Husqvarna dealer in the area...a local lumber store, and picked up a new in-the-box Husky 455 Rancher with a 20" guide bar, along with an extra 24" Husqvarna-marked (Oregon?) bar for the Alaskan Mill (3/8 .050) rip chain that I previously purchased from Granberg to fit the Stihl MS390. The 455 Husky has to be IMHO the most underrated saw around this forum, although the Husky dealer I got mine from sells alot of them, this locale being a agricultural area. From personal experience, the 455 Husky seems to have better low end torque than the MS390, which is exactly what I need for ripping this cedar. And while the 455 may not look good on paper, it sure does look good and work well in action. It starts right up, and easier than the MS390 too. The 455 Husky looks tough, sounds tough, and works tough. I am pleased to report that it has that distinctive Husqvarna sound...reminding me of the Husqvarna dirt bikes that were popular back in the 70's when I was a kid.

stihl-husky4.jpg

And if anyone from Stihl reads this...if you like you can contact me at my email address and I'll give you the particulars of the Stihl dealer in this story. I hear you make good saws. It's a shame that I don't have anything good to say about them at this point in time.

stihl-husky5.jpg

Back to work ripping cedar...and thanks for taking the time to read this.

I can be reached at:
[email protected]

Last edited:
bad dealer

you handled it well the 455/55 is a good saw. i would call still corporate office and get on them. There is bad dealers in any product line, but a few good ones. I bought a used dolmar 120 we had a ton of problems the dealer could not fix it economicly so he said only fair thing to do is refund your money sold me on him and i bought several new and used saws of him. As for your logs you might have gotten them to a mill on a trailer and saved all the exspence good luck and for the record i never like sthil products:jawdrop:

Great post .To me that just shows that a business cant live on the past and a good name that was made many years ago and has to make it happen today . I have seen many businesses fall trying to live on there name from the past and find out it dont work and has to step it up to keep up.

Apart from the sales person handling it badly, they should never have sold you a plastic chassis saw to mill with.... there is no isolation between the bar/mill and the tank, the mechanical stresses on the saw are high and I'm not surprised it cracked, although, I would have expected it to crack at the bar studs. The tank crack at the cap looks like a factory defect as the nylon used in this area of the tank is really strong. For only a handful of dollars more you could have got a MS361 - mag casing, isolated tank etc, and a lot more saw... I'm also not a fan of using the 290/390 style of motor for milling - it's really just a homeowner saw (but also a decent firewood saw), and milling is continuous heavy duty.

Most dealers aren't like you experienced. Most give a damn about the warranty issue (they wouldn't mention the mill) and just stick to the factory. I would :) Most consumers would also just take off the mill and take it back so there was no question...

Great write up... thanks for all the effort it took to present your story... more effort than most think.

My biggest problem with Stihl has always been Stihl dealers too. I can't think of another product whose dealers go out of their way to alienate customers as much as Stihl dealers seem to.

I have a 455 Rancher as well. It rocks. I have no doubts that the 455 will get that milling done and that you'll really like the saw. My local service center sells a ton of them and people rave about them.

The only things that I've noticed about the 455 is that it was set to run way too lean out of the box and that the delicate blue choke levers break off really easy when you are cutting in cold weather. The levers are like $1.80 each and take about 3 minutes to replace, so it's not that big of a deal. I just keep some extras on hand now. It's a good little saw.

Full Skip said:
My biggest problem with Stihl has always been Stihl dealers too. I can't think of another product whose dealers go out of their way to alienate customers as much as Stihl dealers seem to.

Come on... there are 8000 INDEPENDENT Stihl dealers, and you just put them all in the same boat... You think they all are cast in the same mould and get together to figure out how to stick to the customer? There are a few idiots in every business sector, and a blend from god-like to complete a-holes, but to use a such a broad brush for all is nonsense.

Now many have you dealt with? 0.01% of them?

My Stihl dealers sucks too and is the same way . Living on there name , no service, thinks there stuff is gold and should sell itself . I guess that why Husqvarna got my $2000+ + in saws & goods in 2006 . local 3 Stihl dealers pushed me to Husqvarna with there service . BTW Stihl , Husqvarna says "Thanks" ! :cheers:

I agree with Lakeside, there is no way he sould have sold you a 390 for milling!!!!! Just me, but from what I have seen and heard, I wouldn't atempt it with anything less than a 440. I am very suprised the 455 does as well as you say, I have a 350 and my 390 is light years past it for power, I have always understood the 350's and 455's are simialer power wise! May need to watch my ASSumptions in the future?
I love my Stihl dealer, always worked great with me!
Andy

Coveredinsap, nice post. I know the post is mostly about the saw, but $ 1125 to take that tree down? WOW! Tree trimmers in California must :dizzy: work cheap. You got the deal of the century, imho.

sawinredneck said:
I agree with Lakeside, there is no way he sould have sold you a 390 for milling!!!!! Just me, but from what I have seen and heard, I wouldn't atempt it with anything less than a 440. I am very suprised the 455 does as well as you say.

Cedar is so soft it's not a good measure of a saws ability to mill... even though, there is no substiture for hp, torque and strong saws... (and strong operators!)

Glad this story had a HAPPY ending.
dancing.gif
Just like the Stihl dealer by me. I will run my
censoredangry.gif
:censored: Poulans in the ground before I ever give my local stihl guy a dime.
buddies.gif
BowToYou.gif

Come on... there are 8000 Stihl dealers, and you just put them all in the same boat... Now many have you dealt with? 0.01% of them?

I've dealt with exactly 0% of Stihl dealers. I walked out of all four Stihl dealers in my area because, well, that's what it seemed to me that they wanted me to do. Trust me, I'll walk out of any dealership.

I'm definitely not bashing Stihl. They make a great saw.

Cut4fun said:
Glad this story had a HAPPY ending.
dancing.gif
Just like the Stihl dealer by me. I will run my
censoredangry.gif
:censored: Poulans in the ground before I ever give my local stihl guy a dime.
buddies.gif
BowToYou.gif

I had bad luck with my closest Stihl dealer as well. Although if I wanted to I could just drive to Va Beach and complain to someone at Stihl in person I guess!:chainsaw:

Ok, the closest dealer sucks, he explained the difference between the 390 and 440 was better anitvibration. "OK, so what am I paying that much extra money for, just anti-vibe?" "yes sir, thats it!" Really turned me off of Stihl, just happend to walk into another dealer, Husky, Stihl and Echo, bought my 390 and 192t there and have been happier than a pig in well, you know, ever since!
Andy

sawinredneck said:
Ok, the closest dealer sucks, he explained the difference between the 390 and 440 was better anitvibration. "OK, so what am I paying that much extra money for, just anti-vibe?" "yes sir, thats it!" Really turned me off of Stihl, just happend to walk into another dealer, Husky, Stihl and Echo, bought my 390 and 192t there and have been happier than a pig in well, you know, ever since!
Andy

Sounds like that salesperson might do fine at Lowes or HD...

Coverdinsap, nice story, and thanks for sharing it here on AS.

Obviously, you ran into a bad dealer who probably only sells saws to the regional home-owners. But that doesn't make Stihl a bad product.
IMO, he sold you a saw that was not fit for the use in the first place, as some rightly indicated.

Stihl has built a reputation and become market leader because of equipment quality and extensive regional dealership. I do not regret any of my Stihl purchases so far.

What I have to admit is that I found local Husky dealers at this side of the pond being more knowledgeable and service minded than the Stihl ones. It is their necessary but very effective strategy in order to beat the market leader, I think.
Glad that the 455 works fine for you. Husky makes good equipment for sure.:cheers:

Roland

vharrison2 said:
Coveredinsap, nice post. I know the post is mostly about the saw, but $ 1125 to take that tree down? WOW! Tree trimmers in California must :dizzy: work cheap. You got the deal of the century, imho.
Are you for real?, strip and chunk is real fast, if you do it all the time. Couldn't have taken two men more than 4 hours, chipping included. Covered in sap, good for you, good work, sorry about the dealer, sounds like a real mutt, I know a few good ones, lucky I guess.

Back