A (sort of) Simple Plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i can't believe this post has gone on for 10 pages, if everybody thinks he's full of it then quit posting and the thread will die. he's just telling his story, were the heck are the moderators, they seem to let anything go on some threads and then slame down hard on others. i have never used a chainsaw mill and don't intend to in the future, i can see were they would be very taxing on a smaller chainsaw, anything i have ever read from the makers to people that sell them and users on AS all have recommended an 066 or husky 395/jonny 2186 minimum.

WOW! I guess I missed alot by going away for the weekend. After catching up on all the posts a couple of things occur to me. Coveredinsap's original post was calm and thought out. Later posts are getting tense and angry. It wasn't my intention to imply that, because I had a good experience with my Stihl dealer that I'm a diehard Stihl fanatic and I'm out to convert everyone else. It was simply showing the other side of the coin. I agree that, while you have no obligation to contact Stihl, you are also failing to follow through on all the processes available to make the situation right. If what happened to you happened to me, there is no doubt I'd have been on the phone giving someone at Stihl an earfull! It might not get me any more satisfaction, but it might get me more than ranting here. This just proves a point that I learned long ago-you can treat a customer well 1000 times and he might tell no one, but treat him poorly once and he'll tell everyone! And in the process he'll probably not even tell you. Would you have posted at all if the saw had performed flawlessly? This is why EVERY saw maker should provide the best service possible, especially when your reputaion is based on it.

WOW! I guess I missed alot by going away for the weekend. After catching up on all the posts a couple of things occur to me. Coveredinsap's original post was calm and thought out. Later posts are getting tense and angry. It wasn't my intention to imply that, because I had a good experience with my Stihl dealer that I'm a diehard Stihl fanatic and I'm out to convert everyone else. It was simply showing the other side of the coin. I agree that, while you have no obligation to contact Stihl, you are also failing to follow through on all the processes available to make the situation right. If what happened to you happened to me, there is no doubt I'd have been on the phone giving someone at Stihl an earfull! It might not get me any more satisfaction, but it might get me more than ranting here. This just proves a point that I learned long ago-you can treat a customer well 1000 times and he might tell no one, but treat him poorly once and he'll tell everyone! And in the process he'll probably not even tell you. Would you have posted at all if the saw had performed flawlessly? This is why EVERY saw maker should provide the best service possible, especially when your reputaion is based on it.

Let me try and answer this as I see it ....based on my 50 years or so on this planet.

It sounds all well and good to call a 800 # and complain, but these days chances are good to excellent that your call to the company (whatever company) is being handled by a 3rd party call center in India(or some other country). If for some magical reason your complaint does actually make it past that one person whom you spoke to, or if the company does actually answer it's own support phones (a rarity these days), then chances are also good to excellent that the complaint will die in some lower manager's circular file. These are just some basic facts of modern business. It isn't like the old days, thats for sure. (And I'm leaving out entirely the automated answering menu's one has to wade thru before waiting on hold for Lord-knows-how-long before possibly (maybe?) getting an actual live human on the phone.)

By contrast, I can post my experience in a public place on the internet, where anyone who cares to (including the company themselves) can read it and draw their own conclusions as to what happened.

Now, we all know that Stihl reads this site...that is a given, (as evidenced by their takedown notices to Stihl .pdf's linked here). There are also plenty of Stihl dealers here....one of which contacted me by email and said he would 'fix things'. What a joke! He "fixed things" alright...he evidently called his distributor who said it wasn't their 'region', and he told me to call Stihl's 800 phone number. Brilliant! Like I couldn't have figured that one out, like, in the first 10 seconds after the incident happened. And then when I declined to take him up on his 'advice', he proceeded to bash and attack me here in this thread.

Anyways, the proof is in the pudding...I have yet to hear a peep from anyone at Stihl regarding the incident, which leads me to believe that any phone complaint would have indeed ended up in a circular file (trash can).

Like I said, things aren't the way they use to be when dealing with large companies.

spacemule said:
I see you know as much about firearms as you do about chainsaws.
SPACEMULE, Just thought I would show you a very small portion of what i was in charge of caring for. I know you wasnt refering to me. But your bushmaster looked lonely by itself. So I thought you could show bushy a pit of its grandpas. Now if you want to talk about hopping modding up rifles, cycle rates etc. Thats another forum. Guns should be modified too. Oh and I dont know a thing about chainsaws, thats why i am here to learn from the pros. So far they have done a good job. Went from 2 saws to 6 running saws and 3 POS I am using as donors now. I am just a recreational user at that and just wanted to learn something new. This is not to pick or make fun of in anyway spacemule. just showing you the cool pit I took. Thats just the plan jane stuff in the pit, all the good stuff was behind sealed doors, that i had to account for.

Last edited:
coveredinsap said:
Let me try and answer this as I see it ....based on my 50 years or so on this planet.

It sounds all well and good to call a 800 # and complain, but these days chances are good to excellent that your call to the company (whatever company) is being handled by a 3rd party call center in India(or some other country). If for some magical reason your complaint does actually make it past that one person whom you spoke to, or if the company does actually answer it's own support phones (a rarity these days), then chances are also good to excellent that the complaint will die in some lower manager's circular file. These are just some basic facts of modern business. It isn't like the old days, thats for sure. (And I'm leaving out entirely the automated answering menu's one has to wade thru before waiting on hold for Lord-knows-how-long before possibly (maybe?) getting an actual live human on the phone.)

By contrast, I can post my experience in a public place on the internet, where anyone who cares to (including the company themselves) can read it and draw their own conclusions as to what happened.

Now, we all know that Stihl reads this site...that is a given, (as evidenced by their takedown notices to Stihl .pdf's linked here). There are also plenty of Stihl dealers here....one of which contacted me by email and said he would 'fix things'. What a joke! He "fixed things" alright...he evidently called his distributor who said it wasn't their 'region', and he told me to call Stihl's 800 phone number. Brilliant! Like I couldn't have figured that one out, like, in the first 10 seconds after the incident happened. And then when I declined to take him up on his 'advice', he proceeded to bash and attack me here in this thread.

Anyways, the proof is in the pudding...I have yet to hear a peep from anyone at Stihl regarding the incident, which leads me to believe that any phone complaint would have indeed ended up in a circular file (trash can).

Like I said, things aren't the way they use to be when dealing with large companies.

Well now ,lookie here, its my ole friend Sap. How ya doing Sap? Was wondering if ya was ever gonna get around to bringing me into your ordeal. First off my freind I didn't attack you, I merely used your own words. By the way just how do you figure your due a free saw on top of getting your money back anyway, whats up with that notion? I mean you said it might change your opion of Stihl and they're product. Heck Sap if you let me bang ya ole lady I might change my opion of you, are ya gonna let me do it, no, and no way your gonna get a free saw on top of your money back, you had to be alittle loco to even entertain that idea. True I did give you the correct number to call and true I did make some calls for you. That is very correct. Did I have to, no but out out the kindness of my big ole soft heart for you I did,haha. What I didn't know was later in the day you had no interest what so ever to call anyone, you chose the boo hoo route so far as I'm concerend your due nothing except maybe a pacifier and some kleenex. I mean dayummm its no wonder they have mud slides in Ca with the likes of you out there whinning and crying for days on in. Why don't you give the rest of the people in Ca a break and shut off those tears my friend. Ya know Sap the more you whin the more you sorta expose ya self. You tend to stretch the truth about 20 miles longer than what it is. First you fought with your neighbor over the tree and then the city, tells me right there ya aint such a nice feller like you claim to be. Then you buy a cracked saw out of the box , take it back with your attachment still tied to it, real smart, shows you was just looking for another fight and you got one. Had you took the thing off before you took it back like a good boy not a word would have been said but thats not you is it, you a bad mother, your gonna showem who's boss. The dealer questioned the set up and you blowed up. You got your money back and have been shedding rivers of tears ever since. I've never seen one human being cry so hard over a testy exchange. Dayumm Sap are ya that sensitive, maybe you ought not be sawing at all, you might scratch ya self and Lord knows the whole country would be flooded. You wernt on to say you didn't want to spend alot of money milling up one tree yet you turn around and say your spending 2 grand at your Husky dealer as if to spite Stihl. Did ya find a bunch more trees all the sudden, hmmmmmmmm. See Sap you ought to learn the more ya stretch the truth the easier it is to see by others you not telling the whole story as it happened, you keep adding to it and the more you do the more obvious it is your starting to believe ya own bull. You say your 50 years old, well if ya are then how come ya still wearing daipers and sucking pacifiers and still whinning. Dayumm Sap after 50 years you should be past all that by now. Now I want ya to know first hand none of this is a attack on you for really I do like ya, I like ya alot. Gives me pleasure to talk to a feller like you, really does. Now if you wanna continue this conversation thats great, just remember I'm not the man who gave you your money back and I'm not the neighbor you fought with or the city. Are ya with me Sap. I'm the guy that tried to help ya out but you chose another course. I owe you nothing and that makes it easy for me to burn ya ole crawl and rub salt in ya wounds. Best thing you could do would be heal those wounds, stop ya boo hooing, be glad ya got ya money back and become one of us good ole boys Sap. Trust me you'll love hanging in the AS with us , we aren't bad guys, we just get tired of the people who sound like they have yet to ever get off their moma's T-T, ya with me Sap, are ya understanding what I'm saying? Now give it a rest and join the club, ya like it. Course now being the fighting man ya are if ya wanna keep on fussing and spilling those tears your welcome. Just remember I'm taking it easy on ya this time. Next time I may not be so kind and gentle with ya.........

I'm sure we could of did with out the "you chose the boo hoo route so far as I'm concerend your due nothing except maybe a pacifier and some kleenex" input . Sometimes its hard to take ya Thall . One minute you sound like a great guy and the next your talking like a 2 year old . I think i liked your post and you and then i hated your post and dislike you back and forth abut 10 times as i read your last post . As i recall you did talk about calling Stihl and something about a # to call , thats GREAT ! Then the 2 year old in you came out and you did come back here and slam the guy and had a good laugh with a few other members right after you said you tried to help him. Odd my friend , real odd . I think I'm going to have to go with the member(s) that had said that if this would of been posted the same way but with a Husqvarna or other brand of chainsaw it would of went totaly different , and It does . There are many threads that trash the Husqvarna and other brand of dealer and its never a problem . Once someone speeks up about Stihl then its not the saw anymore its all about the poster/member. We see members trashing Home Depot , Lowes , ect .... about service but nobody says its the buyer , they say its the store but if that same buyer has a problem at his local Stihl than O' no ......... Now the buyer is a moron and not the dealer/store. Just unreal . Sit back and look at the big picture.......we all know what I'm talking about. If CIS would of posted the first saw was a husqvarna and then ended up getting a Stihl then this thread would of been 3 pages long and CIS would of been a good guy. It didnt happen that way.... now ya have to talk about kleenex, pacifier and him boo hooing . Lets be adults here .

Can't we all just... SPEAK ENGLISH?

Post #147 was written in some sort of drunken pirate dialect, the likes of which I've not heard since the last Quint monologue in Jaws.:dizzy:

No doubt you got 'hosed' by that particular dealer. At least you got your money back.
My experiences with Stihl and dealers has been different.
I have found their service is excellent.
But, there are always bad apples in every barrel. Good luck with your Husqvarna, they are fine saws as well.

Rspike said:
I'm sure we could of did with out the "you chose the boo hoo route so far as I'm concerend your due nothing except maybe a pacifier and some kleenex" input . Sometimes its hard to take ya Thall . One minute you sound like a great guy and the next your talking like a 2 year old . I think i liked your post and you and then i hated your post and dislike you back and forth abut 10 times as i read your last post . As i recall you did talk about calling Stihl and something about a # to call , thats GREAT ! Then the 2 year old in you came out and you did come back here and slam the guy and had a good laugh with a few other members right after you said you tried to help him. Odd my friend , real odd . I think I'm going to have to go with the member(s) that had said that if this would of been posted the same way but with a Husqvarna or other brand of chainsaw it would of went totaly different , and It does . There are many threads that trash the Husqvarna and other brand of dealer and its never a problem . Once someone speeks up about Stihl then its not the saw anymore its all about the poster/member. We see members trashing Home Depot , Lowes , ect .... about service but nobody says its the buyer , they say its the store but if that same buyer has a problem at his local Stihl than O' no ......... Now the buyer is a moron and not the dealer/store. Just unreal . Sit back and look at the big picture.......we all know what I'm talking about. If CIS would of posted the first saw was a husqvarna and then ended up getting a Stihl then this thread would of been 3 pages long and CIS would of been a good guy. It didnt happen that way.... now ya have to talk about kleenex, pacifier and him boo hooing . Lets be adults here .

Spike hate to burst ya bubble ole friend but it appears Sap thought I was a numb skull for trying to help him. He actually thought me giving him the number to call was a joke to him so tell me something, why should I care after that. When the guy speaks of getting a free saw in e-mail but not anywhere in his posts doesn't that make you see the light, hmmmmmm. He has a zillion excuses of why he didn't call Stihl, none of which hold water other than he would rather complain. That being the case if ya wanna sit around and dish it out instead of doing the right thing in the first place then be able to take it as well. Notice as well my friend I never bothered the man untill he called me out by saying I attacked him. I never attacked him, I merely repeated what he said to me in his e-mail. He calls his own words a attack, not mine. You can take up for him all ya want, help ya self but in business we have a motto for guys like him. Its called we might smell his hiny but we aint gonna kiss it and thats exactly what he seems to be wanting. Hell will freeze over before that happens. As for picking on him he's a big boy, nothing I said will draw blood out of him, he'll be just fine Spike. You act like I took a gun and shot the poor feller. As for hows I types I sorts of's likes it,hahahaha. You don't well durn, I want a number to call and complain on you,hahahaha.
You know I been watching for days the insults and remarks Sap has said about not just that one dealer but all dealers, meaning he's been insulting me as well. He's been babbling how Stihl is crap and on and on and on. I never bothered him, I let him vent all he wanted. Look back at all the posts and you will not see much out of me at all. When he called me out by saying I attacked him he invited me in and if he can't take it all I can say is too bad, if ya can't handle it don't pick for it.
As for you calling me a 2 year old Spike you should pin that on the one thats been whinning for days now, not me. I don't need anyone to rush to my defence like you have for Sap. Why are you covering for Sap anyway? I mean lets face it, you don't deal with dealers period and that your choice. Your not the one taking the insults and bashing so whats in it for you anyway? Am I'm suppose to let Sap sit around and insult and bash me and everyone else that sell's something he got somewhere that was bad, is it my fault, I don't think so. I did him no wrong yet he has put me in the same boat with the guy he claims did. I owe him nothing but when he calls me out I merely reply. Now tell me whats wrong with that? I'm not suppose to say a word even after he calls me out, hahahaha, tant gonna happen.
See Spike in all this I've yet to insult you or give ya a hard time. So why ya so mean to me, hurting my feelings and all, hand me a kleenex you oreny sucker,haha. You should be ashamed of ya self. You keep it up and I'm warning you we will have to end our relationship,hahahaha. See I don't get mean, its all in good fun. Chill ole boy and calm ya nerves abit. Sap isn't worth getting all worked up over. I had fun replieing to him and I'll have even more if he wants some more. If not thats cool too. I'd rather he just knock it off and get in here with us and talk saws but I got my doults he really has any interest in that. We shall see..........................

Full Skip said:
Can't we all just... SPEAK ENGLISH?

Post #147 was written in some sort of drunken pirate dialect, the likes of which I've not heard since the last Quint monologue in Jaws.:dizzy:

hahahahahaa, like my fine typing do ya,hahahahaha

I'm the guy that tried to help ya out but you chose another course.

By telling me to call an 800 #? Would that be, um, your 'professional' opinion shining thru there? Is that the great advice you give your own customers when they come back to you with warranty work, or do you actually dial the numer for them yourself as part of your 'Stihl customer service'?

As for the 'free saw' remark....I said something to the effect that it would take a free saw before Stihl could ever hope to change my opinion of them and their product, because I certainly wouldn't buy one myself after that episode. Now, I understand if you're not able to properly discern the meaning of that sentence and just focus on the 'free saw' part....but trust me when I say that I don't want a 'free saw' from Stihl. (i.e. Stihl saw=Stihl dealer such as yourself for parts/service)

By the way, I was out milling cedar again today with my new Husky, and cleaning up the logs before milling with my other new Husky....so I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you here.

I run Husky and Stihl, they are the only saws I have ever used at work. It is only a matter of time until Covered in Sh5t pulls a whining scam on Husky, the guy should be put an the bad customer list by everyone "No sir, we are not interested in your business, could you please leave, now" ??????? it, I thought only women could snivel so much, live and learn.

The only "whining" and "sniviling" I see on this thread appears to be coming from the Stihl fanatics upset that anyone dare to badmouth Stihl. Do you guys own Stihl stock or are you actually paid cash to be a Stihl shill?

coveredinsap said:
By telling me to call an 800 #? Would that be, um, your 'professional' opinion shining thru there? Is that the great advice you give your own customers when they come back to you with warranty work, or do you actually dial the numer for them yourself as part of your 'Stihl customer service'?

As for the 'free saw' remark....I said something to the effect that it would take a free saw before Stihl could ever hope to change my opinion of them and their product, because I certainly wouldn't buy one myself after that episode. Now, I understand if you're not able to properly discern the meaning of that sentence and just focus on the 'free saw' part....but trust me when I say that I don't want a 'free saw' from Stihl. (i.e. Stihl saw=Stihl dealer such as yourself for parts/service)

By the way, I was out milling cedar again today with my new Husky, and cleaning up the logs before milling with my other new Husky....so I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you here.

Now Sap stop twisting what ya really said. I quoted you word for word but thats ok. The "Until such time Stihl see's fit to give me a free saw", I guess you never said even though I just looked at it again. Strange how e-mails stay the same, durn it,haha.
Time to get real Sap, seriously once and for all. Your no dummy by no means, I see that plain as day. This deal with the broken saw and how you tend to say its all dealers and all Stihl products is crap is non-sense and you know it. I know too you felt you were wronged and in a way you was, that dealer treated ya bad. Turning around and making a huge fuss over it has got you what, absoulty nothing. More ya preach it the more nothing your gonna get out it other than my fancy spell lin,haha. Are ya ready to join the crowd and just talk saws or do ya wanna keep beating the ole cracked saw story to death, hmmmmmmmmmm. We got ya point Sap, we know you don't like Stihl no more and thats fine. You need to remember some of us do and some of us aren't that dealer you dealt with.
Your using that Husky and its doing good, I say great, glad its holding up for ya. I don't wish you any bad luck what so ever and thats the truth. Far as I'm concerend all the back and forth should be done with. I got no issues with any brand, its everyone to their own liking. So whatcha say Sap, wanna put this to rest or would ya rather go on with it? We got ya point loud and clear, no need to keep repeating it. Here, have a beer on me and pat me on the back for not wanting to keep this thing going and going and going. Time to sit back and chill.
You did take your good ole time getting back to me and that really ticks me off, I was looking forward to it and you made me wait ya dayumm sucker, hahaha. Just messing with ya. Come on in and join the guys, we aint all bad, we might all be full of it from time to time but hey we're guys ya know,haha. Have a seat in chain saw land and relax.

clearance said:
I run Husky and Stihl, they are the only saws I have ever used at work. It is only a matter of time until Covered in Sh5t pulls a whining scam on Husky, the guy should be put an the bad customer list by everyone "No sir, we are not interested in your business, could you please leave, now" ??????? it, I thought only women could snivel so much, live and learn.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaa Clearance ole Sap is a orenry cuss no doult but he's no dummy, that I will admit. Outspoken as hell, yep he is but ya know fellers like him give us alot to talk about,haha. He's not all that bad but when he gets pissed I gotta admit he really gets pissed. He stands his ground for sure but I'm hoping he'll decide he's stood it long enough and will join ole suckers like you and me and just have some fun in here.
Hey by the way Clearance ya ever run a old 051? I got one last week and it sounds great. Needs some work and I need to hire a big man with alot of muscle to pick it up, dayummmmmmmmmm thats one heavy saw indeed. Ever run one???????

Every brand has it's good and bad points, and dealers as well.

Somewhere in this story there needs to be some personal responsibility involving checking out the dealer, and the products yourself. Does anyone here actually purchase homes or autos without some prior research in their part?

That said, coveredinsap was wronged by a dealer, it happens, and an ignorant buyer helps it to happen. And just because he was wronged by one dealer, doesn't mean all dealers are like him, or that all sell a defective product.

So, you guys need to resolve this like gentlemen, and move on. Soon.
-Ralph

This thread has been laid to rest at least a half dozen times so far....And someone always comes back and pokes it with a stick, and then I'm forced to respond again. Stop poking it with a stick and I'll stop responding.

begleytree said:
Every brand has it's good and bad points, and dealers as well.

Somewhere in this story there needs to be some personal responsibility involving checking out the dealer, and the products yourself. Does anyone here actually purchase homes or autos without some prior research in their part?

That said, coveredinsap was wronged by a dealer, it happens, and an ignorant buyer helps it to happen. And just because he was wronged by one dealer, doesn't mean all dealers are like him, or that all sell a defective product.

So, you guys need to resolve this like gentlemen, and move on. Soon.
-Ralph

Good point there, couldn't agree with ya more. Reminds me of many years ago I bought me a Ford car. That thing stayed in the shop more than on the road, it was breaking down all the time. My brother on the other hand has had great luck with Fords and still drives only Ford. I've never seen it as anything but I got a bad one, thats all. I would love one of those new Mustangs, man they are niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

coveredinsap said:
This thread has been laid to rest at least a half dozen times so far....And someone always comes back and pokes it with a stick, and then I'm forced to respond again. Stop poking it with a stick and I'll stop responding.

We don't want you to stop responding Sap, dayumm it. We want you to be involved with something else. I wanna fuss with ya over those tools abit. Tell me something, how many years do you get out of those Ryobi tools? I've had a few and I gotta tell ya I had little luck with them. I got all Milwaukee, Dewalt and Poter Cable now and they seem worth the price.

Back