Aboricultural learning: post your references here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This thread is intended to serve as a library of sorts for excellent arboricultural references. Links to any well written web-article are welcome, uploaded PDFs are preferred, since they will become a permanent reference here.

Please quote the title of any article you post or upload, so that the readers can better choose whether or not to open it.

If any reference becomes invalid, please let moderation know, and we will update it or remove it. Any links posted that consist of website advertising or obvious misinformation will also be removed.

Silvics of North America. You can download the entire pdf for both Volume 1 (conifers) and Volume 2 (hardwoods) at the link. I didn't like the pdf directly here because they will be big files.
https://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/pubs/misc/ag_654/table_of_contents.htm

Dang, ATH. That's so advanced a reference I had to look it up just to understand the topic.

silvics [ sil-viks ]​

noun (used with a singular verb)
the scientific study of trees and their environment.

And... That's a great reference! You can quickly look up most species and get very specific information on a tree you are interested in. I have always found it rather challenging to figure out whether a tree is all male/female flowering, whether the flowers are hermaphroditic, or otherwise. This reference seems to spell that out very clearly on each tree. For example, silver maples:
"Four types of trees, with respect to sex expression, have been observed: all male flowers; all female flowers but with rudimentary pistils; mostly male with a few females; and mostly male with a few females and a scattering of hermaphroditic flowers."​

The Silvics manuals are also a good reference when looking for trees to plant. Will this tree work here? Look it up there and see what other forest types it is associated with - often that gives you a good clue.

Attachments

• silvics_vol1.pdf
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • silvics_v2.pdf
    8.8 MB · Views: 0
Back