Absolute BEST chain for 50cc saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am currently using oregon lpx on my Dolmar 5105 3/8 full chisel 18" bar, but probably go to 20" bar and this new husqvarna chain cx83 (I think), been using it on 24" bar Makita 6401 it's awesome.

If you want fastest cutting, the performance kit for ms261 will fit on 026
uses 3/8 chisel low profile chain (63ps)
stihl sells a kit to change everything over
#0000 007 1900
has bar, rim sprocket and 2 chains

I have quite a few 50cc saws in the line-up and use them for the bulk of my cutting here. I've settled on 18" bars .325". You will see a slight cutting improvement with full chisel but I use and prefer Oregon with the semi-chisel/round cutters as a lot of the material is a little "dirty" and they stay sharp longer.

I've had several 55 Ranchers with 3/8" and they just don't cut as well as .325" at that power level.

My closed port 55's SCREAM with 18" bars and .325" and excellent for limbing and firewood cutting in tops and smaller logs. They are my "go-to" saws these day until I get into bigger wood.

I've had a few CS-490's in the shop and they would be better with 16" bars vs the 18" or 20" they come with. Decent saws but a little "weak" compared to the others in my line-up.

So basically you have to have a 50cc saw with decent power right to start with if you are looking to run longer bars, or bigger chain, or both......

I have one with 3/8lp full chisel and one with .325 full chisel with a 8 pin rim, they're pretty similar but the 3/8lp is cheaper so I use it when I might wreck a chain. The .325 bar is 15 inch the 3/8lp is 14.
The 3/8lp is the way to go if your 50cc saw isnt really powerful, it doesnt need as much hp to cut fast as .325 does.

Thanks all. Think I will stay with the 18" 325 for now unless I can find a great deal on an alternative. Thanks cscltd for the kit recommendation, will get a quote from the local dealer.

If I happen across a 16" 3/8" stihl bar cheap, I will try it, just out of curiosity but sounds that 3/8" is not the way to go for the 026 according to the majority.

Recently picked up a 346xp NE and will be running a 16" 325 on it.

I like the Stihl branded full-chisel full-comp chain. Reasonably durable, reasonably easy to sharpen, reasonably priced on ebay.

Try a loop of Oregon LGX. That is their .325 Full-chisel non-safety chain. They make it in .063 to fit your existing bar. I run it on my 550xp MarkII with the rakers set at .030 and it cuts fast without being "grabby" yet doesn't overload the saw like I believe would happen with 3/8.

I've got an 026 (red lever if that matters) that seems a little punchier than the other 026's I've used, it pulls a 16" 3/8 chisel chain very happily through 10-12" wood. My brother has one that's a few years newer and his is not nearly as happy with the 3/8. I know both are bone stock and I haven't taken either one apart to see if the factory porting is different but both have about the same compression, mine just seems to make more power.

I have a 026 Pro and have just kept the factory .325 .063 chain and Stihl bar, works for me, I have given it a base gasket delete (about 20 thou squish), lightly ported and a muffler mod so that helps to spin the chain.

Thanks all! Please be specific as possible on recommendations.
16inch 3/8 .050, stihl RM chain. I would say is about as good as it gets for all around cutting. Quick and easy to sharpen. Stays sharp and holds up as well or better then most. Some other brand chains may do as well and I have had runs of old Sandvik -Windsor chain I thought was better.
If it's a dedicated limber , the same length and style chain in .325 would be smoother cutting enough to consider it better for that purpose. All clean wood off the ground full chisel would increase the cutting speed.

A sharp one
Exactly, it won't make a difference if the chosen super
chain is not sharp, a lot of trees have been cut, am guessing
the correct format of cutter and keep it sharp will matter more
than brand, well the main three anyway.
I prefer using semi chisel chain on dirty or very hard wood,
they hold an edge better than full chisel does in those circumstances.

Narrow kerf will help with speed, it also will dull / wear a little quicker,
the smaller edge, but again, its quicker to sharpen.

Absolute best chain depends on what your trying to accomplish and cut. Imo keeping any modern saw from bogging even if leveraged or getting grabby and being wrapped in small stuff is the best choice. A 50cc saw gets used for both little limbs, big limbs and for cutting trunk wood so it should have a couple types of chain for the user to pick from depending on the task at hand. To pick only one it should be in the middle of the road to accomplish all tasks but be best at none such as a semi chisel with bumper links.

Back