Add a winch to Bandit 250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4CornersPuddle

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'd like to fab or buy a winch to mount on my older ('98) Bandit 250. And preferably not spend the big bucks that Bandit wants for a new one.
I've searched AS for threads and links to DIY projects without much success.
Would any of you recommend ways to proceed?
Other than buying the brand new unit, my ideas are:
1. Install a heavy duty electric winch and use it sparingly.
2. Find an OEM at a salvage outfit.
3. Buy something like a hydraulic winch intended for trucks, etc. from a supplier such as Mile Marker Winch Systems and fit it to the chipper.
I've got reasonable mechanical skills and some fabrication knowledge. I'd like to read or watch how someone else has done a project like this so that I'm not "reinventing the wheel" and creating unnecessary obstacles.
Any links to youtube videos or written threads anywhere on the internet are appreciated.
If any of you have tackled a similar project, we could also pm or talk on the phone.
I'm in southwest Colorado. I use my equipment on an occasional basis when when working for myself, and have placed my chipper, chip truck, and saws into service with the tree service company I normally work for on large jobs.
Thanks. We've got some great wisdom on this site.

I wanted to do the same on my Vermeer chipper. It was a factory option on their larger chippers, but not my model.
The dilemma is where to securely attach a winch arm that would not interfere with maintenance or operation.
Anyway I gave up on this.
It was easier to attach a winch arm to the RTV900 and park it near the chute opening .

I'd like to fab or buy a winch to mount on my older ('98) Bandit 250. And preferably not spend the big bucks that Bandit wants for a new one.
I've searched AS for threads and links to DIY projects without much success.
Would any of you recommend ways to proceed?
Other than buying the brand new unit, my ideas are:
1. Install a heavy duty electric winch and use it sparingly.
2. Find an OEM at a salvage outfit.
3. Buy something like a hydraulic winch intended for trucks, etc. from a supplier such as Mile Marker Winch Systems and fit it to the chipper.
I've got reasonable mechanical skills and some fabrication knowledge. I'd like to read or watch how someone else has done a project like this so that I'm not "reinventing the wheel" and creating unnecessary obstacles.
Any links to youtube videos or written threads anywhere on the internet are appreciated.
If any of you have tackled a similar project, we could also pm or talk on the phone.
I'm in southwest Colorado. I use my equipment on an occasional basis when when working for myself, and have placed my chipper, chip truck, and saws into service with the tree service company I normally work for on large jobs.
Thanks. We've got some great wisdom on this site.
How much are the winches now?

Thanks hemi and wolf for your replies.
Winch could mount above sloping top of infeed area, probably with reinforcement. Hydraulic lines are right nearby. Arm would extend out and above chute.
Some time ago I priced new winches at $3600. As I do not use this chipper daily for hire, I'd rather spend somewhat less than that figure. $2000 would be just fine.
Aren't there heavy machinery dismantlers who would be parting out chippers?

Winch could mount above sloping top of infeed area, probably with reinforcement. Hydraulic lines are right nearby. Arm would extend out and above chute.
Some time ago I priced new winches at $3600. As I do not use this chipper daily for hire, I'd rather spend somewhat less than that figure. $2000 would be just fine.
Worth every cent if you are making money with that machine. I paid 2500.00 years ago and instaslled it my self its like having 5 strong Groundmen.

Here is a mount that I was considering but it won't work on my Vermeer. Actually I have this winch. It would be ideal since there is no limitation on the tow line length. Unlike an electric winch the pull speed would be constant. FF to 10:39 for a close look.

Any update on successfully adding a winch to your chipper?
I work by myself and completely exhausted myself on this past job when trying to pull my arbor trolley up a ridiculous hill with loads of brush or 20" diameter, 16" long ash rounds. I just bought a 3,500 lb badlands winch from harbor freight and thinking of doing some sort of hitch mount and then have quick disconnects for power on both the chipper and truck so I can use it for brush with the chipper or logs and my truck. I have a feeling I'll need to upgrade my battery on the chipper but think this could work.
Thoughts?

Any update on successfully adding a winch to your chipper?
I work by myself and completely exhausted myself on this past job when trying to pull my arbor trolley up a ridiculous hill with loads of brush or 20" diameter, 16" long ash rounds. I just bought a 3,500 lb badlands winch from harbor freight and thinking of doing some sort of hitch mount and then have quick disconnects for power on both the chipper and truck so I can use it for brush with the chipper or logs and my truck. I have a feeling I'll need to upgrade my battery on the chipper but think this could work.
Thoughts?

klaibs, no, I moved on to different projects. Am still on hold with this winch addition. What have you come up with?

The winch on a chipper is nearly invaluable. The issue I have is I rarely need one. I can "make do" with dragging material with a quad, a tractor, simply hand dragging it in smaller lighter pieces, etc. As I'm nearly retired, I can't justify spending big bucks that would not pay for themselves in a year's time.

On the other hand, the tree work I do is actually damned close to being a hobby, so no expense spared, right? Hobbies are supposed to cost us dearly. Haha! I keep anywhere from 10 to 14 chainsaws in running condition at any one time. Who needs that redundancy!

Back