Adding a dump bed to trailer.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j_d

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a lightly used 23'deck over trailer that doesn't get used much. I'm considering selling it and getting a dump trailer. I also use a coworkers dump trailer to haul my mt100 in as well as debris. It is a p.i.t.a. to unload the bobcat to dump debris and the reload it.

I'm wondering if a 12' dump body could be permanently installed at the back of the deck over trailer and I could park my mt100 and perhaps a stump grinder sideways at the front of the trailer using aftermarket aluminum ramps or something. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Are you wanting to load the the skid loader sideways? If so that will be a issue with weight.

Are you wanting to load the the skid loader sideways? If so that will be a issue with weight.
It's a small mt100 and not very heavy. I believe I can center it enough that with a large dually it won't be an issue. The only time I have felt it to be a problem was when a Co worker chained it too far back and I didn't have enough weight on the ball. It would look something like this pic.
dsc05442_3.jpg

The trailer pictured will have a major weight issue if you side load a skidloader on it. Well actually you will not get it loaded as the sheet metal ramp will crush first

I see. What you want to do can be done assuming you have the proper fabrication skills. There is a lot of engineering that goes into building a dump trailer with the proper fulcrum points and balance. Gusseting in the necessary areas so it doesn't fold like a pop can. Anything CAN be built but if it doesn't end up right or is unsafe to haul with because it gives you an insane amount of tongue weight or worse, not enough tongue weight, what do you do with it? It would almost be a Liability to sell, in my opinion. You also haven't published the skid steer weight or the trailer capacity, both matter in context.
Sometimes it is just easier to buy the proper tool. If you proceed pls share your project. It'll be interesting to follow.

I see. What you want to do can be done assuming you have the proper fabrication skills. There is a lot of engineering that goes into building a dump trailer with the proper fulcrum points and balance. Gusseting in the necessary areas so it doesn't fold like a pop can. Anything CAN be built but if it doesn't end up right or is unsafe to haul with because it gives you an insane amount of tongue weight or worse, not enough tongue weight, what do you do with it? It would almost be a Liability to sell, in my opinion. You also haven't published the skid steer weight or the trailer capacity, both matter in context.
Sometimes it is just easier to buy the proper tool. If you proceed pls share your project. It'll be interesting to follow.
All good points. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back