Addition to the stable - MS-361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulDaisy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, after years and years of looking off and on and not being sure if I need it for my limited use, I picked up a MS361 today. The saw carries a 20" bar and starts and runs pretty well. I will clean it up and give it a good inspection, and she will be a good one for the times, like this summer, when I had to remove two decent size dead trees, when my 026 with a 16" bar was a little too small and bogged down when cutting out stumps below ground level.
I still like my little 170 for campfire wood, where I prefer small wood without splitting it.
I think my stable is now complete! :)

Thanks folks! I will check on the oiler screw, check into the muffler mod - and will look at the C&P at the same time. I have heard that the OEM made the muffler restrictive deliberately to provide backpressure to the cylinder, to maintain proper temperature. But I read that tons of people open them up and get better power. My 026 has a muffler "mod", done by previous owner, which amounted to their drilling a 1/2" hole all the way through the muffler. That 026 is as loud as a Harley with straight pipes, but it cuts well.
I usually buy ethanol-free 87 gas for my 2-cycle engines, and since I use them infrequently, add sta-bil to the fuel right away, and use only that fuel in the saws. This paid off, I haven't had to rebuild a carb (again) in the last 10 years on any 2-cycle I own.
Seriously?.. Three more? I counted 17 internal combustion engines, combined, in my possession just now. Well I kind of get it why I probably need a 044 (because everyone does), but 066 and 088, probably only if my son's car dies and needs a bigger motor?.. :D

It seems that the best mod was done by Andy (Lakeside53), and there is still a thread here but the images are gone. There is this other thread:
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/stihl-361-muffler-mod-how-to.323756/that has enough pictures to follow what the mod looks like. There is also a "flap" mod, opening the left side of the muffler, with and without a spark arrestor screen.

Here they are…

Attachments

• 7309B05A-9801-4F0A-AC83-29A72C58B0A6.jpeg
    7309B05A-9801-4F0A-AC83-29A72C58B0A6.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 8FE29A72-CAA7-44C8-A79C-F30C29ACD712.jpeg
    8FE29A72-CAA7-44C8-A79C-F30C29ACD712.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 5
Back