Advice for finding low volume log buyers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j_d

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking for advice on how to find small scale log buyers. My tree care company occasionally removes trees that make me wish I had my woodmizer band mill back. 99% of what remove is firewood or mulch but occasionally we get some real gems. I am able to transport the logs if the money is there.

I'm in western Ohio so not exactly a logging hot bed and the Amish buying for pallets hasn't been worth my time. I know of another tree guy that I believe sells to a buyer in Cincinnati but he is keeping it on the downlow. I know the difference between yard tree trash and something nice. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I remember Ohio having a lot of timber...

anyway, should be some larger mills willing to work with ya, pretty much any of the portable band mill outfits simply can't afford to pay what the logs are really worth,

But if you can get the logs to a proper mill, and they can unload them without hassle (thats key btw) as in proper log bunks they can get some forks under they should pay you going rate.

We have more corn and beans than timber but we do some occasional clearing and removals. There are a few custom band mills around but nothing large. Transport isn't a problem. I just thought I'd ask for suggestions before hitting Google for mills and log buyers.
Thanks.

We take our good logs to Price Lumber Northeast of Cinci. They are one of the top exporters of walnut in the country. Good chance it where the other guy is taking his logs. Although I've heard of another place or two. Price is just a big outfit with a mountain of logs and will always buy more. Depending on how far you have to travel and the grading of logs it might not always be worth it. We've taken what we thought were ok logs, knew they weren't great logs, but it was questionable as to being worth our time or not and we are in the same town.

We take our good logs to Price Lumber Northeast of Cinci. They are one of the top exporters of walnut in the country. Good chance it where the other guy is taking his logs. Although I've heard of another place or two. Price is just a big outfit with a mountain of logs and will always buy more. Depending on how far you have to travel and the grading of logs it might not always be worth it. We've taken what we thought were ok logs, knew they weren't great logs, but it was questionable as to being worth our time or not and we are in the same town.

That’s a great suggestion after jogging my memory. I did some work in NKY (Florence area) and had some logs hauled over. They paid a fair price & were good to deal with.

Yep, they are some good 'ol folk, that's for sure. That's where I get all my rough sawn lumber for my projects as well. Owner is a good guy and have a few friends that do/have worked in the mill over the years.

Interestingly enough I was just over at Price last week to possibly purchase some logs and get some prices. Unfortunately they had a large group of foreign buyers there buying container loads so I couldn't speak to anyone that could quote some prices. Huge mountains of walnut for sure and likely lots of cherry. To the OP contact me if you can (I just registered here and do not know the software) and maybe we can work out an arrangement when you get quality saw or veneer logs. Just ordered a kiln and will be constructed that over the next 60 days to handle maybe 1000 BF a month... my name is Michael

Back