advice for first saw... ms 362? husky 365?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hemlockrecords

Reaction score
hey y'all,

i posted on another forum and i wanted get a wide array of opinions, so here it is:

i'm looking to buy my first saw and would very much appreciate some advice. i've narrowed it down to between the stihl ms 362 and husqvarna 365, though i'm definitely open to other suggestions.

i'm going to have just one saw for a while (mostly cus $$) so i want something versatile. for that reason also i'm pretty set on an inboard clutch, so if i get pinched i can take off the powerhead and put on a spare bar and chain (i won't often access to another saw to cut me out).

my gut is to get a 60cc saw; more compact and probably powerful enough for what i'll likely need (putting up firewood for friends, thinning woodlots, felling 20" dbh, maybe occasionally up to 30"). but i'm wondering if it's worth getting the bigger 365 for the percieved benefits of the husky (more comfortable anti-vibe, better service network, more parts available)? otherwise the ms 362 seems like a solid versatile, lighter (compared to other 60cc) and with reasonable power.

i'd love to hear people's experiences of these or similiar saws, especially in terms of long term reliability and durability. i'm trying to get a saw that i'll have (and enjoy) for a long time. i'm open to getting another (maybe more powerful) saw later down the line, but for now it'll just be the one. so any opinions on a versatile, single saw set up are appreciated!

for some context, where i used to work we ran dolmars (421, 5105, 6400).

thanks in advance for helping a newbie out!

Two pretty different saws, to a certain extent. 362 is pretty light for it's HP, has a computer controlled carb, and would be a good choice for a one saw plan if you are going to be running it more than a couple hours at a time. Good up to about a 20" bar, 24" in a pinch.

365 is more old school. 70cc, heavier, and manual carb. They can be very easily upgraded to 372 performance with an hour of dremel work. This saw will pull and oil a 28" bar easily, 32 if needed. Both saws have good air filtration, and great anti-vibe. This would be my pick, but I'd plan on adding a 50cc saw as soon as possible. Something like a used husky 350, 351, 353, or 346, which can be had in the $150-400 range pretty commonly.

Two pretty different saws, to a certain extent. 362 is pretty light for it's HP, has a computer controlled carb, and would be a good choice for a one saw plan if you are going to be running it more than a couple hours at a time. Good up to about a 20" bar, 24" in a pinch.
I have recommended the 036/361/362 Pro saws to a lot of people as a "one saw plan" for years.... and I have owned and used them for about 25 years. BUT, if I was going to be falling 30" dbh timber, I would get the 462! It's been the saw I reach for since the day I bought mine!

My experience with the ms 362 has been very good and I have had no problems with mine running a 25". That being said there are no oak trees up here. I believe you can choose between computer carburetor and standard carburetor. My personal saw has the standard carb, but last winter we were cutting and the temps were fluctuating between above freezing and 15 degrees the guys with the computer carbs just kept cutting and i was busy fiddling with carburetor settings.

At work I run a 362 with a 25” bar skip too chain and 8 pin sprocket. Cuts big fir well. I have never run a 365 but they are tried a true. So it’s down to weather you want old school manual carb or an automated carb adjustment

I've had no issues with my MS362 or 562XP, but prefer my MS361.
Something about knowing I can repair it if something goes wrong is comforting.
I haven't had a 362, but have had several 361's and a 562. The 562 is a better saw all around, except for the nagging issues it had/has. I never personally had any problems with my early 562, but hearing all the issues gives one pause. And make no mistake a 562 will spank a 361 when both are stock.
With that said I know run a XS ported 361 I recently got from Robinwood. I like that saw very much.

Ms362 seems peeky in the power band to me, I like an ms361 more grunt . The 365 is a 65cc workhorse and can be modified to a 70 or 76 cc saw with oem or aftermarket parts . Id get the 365 if it was the one saw plan , but they are portly in weight compared to the other.
Honestly you can accumulate a lot of saws by befriending a couple of shops and scrap yards and make some good friends in the process.
Last year I bought a 044 slant fin 10mm for 175.00 from my shop owner, 50.00 for a piston and parts and I had a great saw. A few months ago I got a 394xp for 300.00 from the scrap yard friend witch already ran well and immediately purchased 175.00 of dress up parts for it. Either way a little effort to network and communicate with the saw guys in your area will pay off .

Ms362 seems peeky in the power band to me, I like an ms361 more grunt . The 365 is a 65cc workhorse and can be modified to a 70 or 76 cc saw with oem or aftermarket parts . Id get the 365 if it was the one saw plan , but they are portly in weight compared to the other.
Honestly you can accumulate a lot of saws by befriending a couple of shops and scrap yards and make some good friends in the process.
Last year I bought a 044 slant fin 10mm for 175.00 from my shop owner, 50.00 for a piston and parts and I had a great saw. A few months ago I got a 394xp for 300.00 from the scrap yard friend witch already ran well and immediately purchased 175.00 of dress up parts for it. Either way a little effort to network and communicate with the saw guys in your area will pay off .
You can also get a stock 75cc jug if it is a OE 365.
The 365 always made about zero sense to me given the excellent 372.

Latest posts

Back