Advice needed....new saw. Husky, Echo or Dolmar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackBurton

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well doggone it, I thought I could figure it out on my own, and probably did, but the more I read, the more I cant make up my mind.
Im after a new saw, 60cc class. Stihl dealer locally isnt the greatest, so they are out (mostly).
Dealers I have that are good locally are Echo and Husky.
Saws on the list:
Husky 562XP
Husky 555
Dolmar/Makita 6100
Echo 620 or maybe 600-590.

Saw would have a 20" bar most of the time, would like the option to run a 24" from time to time.

Now, Im partial to Husky, but only because my 55 Rancher has yet to let me down, but with the big trees on our property now (recently moved), its tough going. Ive got a lot of large diameter ash to cut (with some oak thrown in there too, along with some soft wood stuff), and a bunch of other various smaller stuff. I dont cut for others, but my neighbor and I do help each other out when trees fall, and that happens often. The last was a 32" diameter ash that took some doing with my 55 to get cut up. Id rather not go through that again with that saw, and I need a backup anyway, so why not get a new one and make the 55 the backup?
Heck, my 55 has been so good, I didnt even know I had a servicing dealer close until I started looking for dealers.
I know too that every one of these will have noticeably more power than my 55 does, but then thats the point.

I really wanted to get a Husky, but have read of issues with the 562. Intakes, etc. I have had zero problems from the 55. None. Id like to repeat that, and have no need of a good dealer, but I guess Im taking a chance no matte what, as no matter how good the company, they all put out a bad one from time to time.
The thing is, I dont know that the 555 wouldnt do just fine for me for a good long time.
555 seems like a good saw, they had issues with heat, then got a redesigned cover with a slot in it for cooling.
But for the price of the 555, or less actually, I can get the next saw on the list.

While looking at those two, I came across a video comparing those two to the Dolmar 6100. It got my attention. I like that saw a lot, or at least what Ive seen and read about it anyway. Seems like a great saw with very good power in the class. More than the 555, not quite as much as the 562xp. Seems like Ive not found any negatives on this saw...which means its the only one that fits that. Maybe its because not many guys run them, not sure.

Then there is the Echo. I started looking at the 590. Will it work? Maybe. But since I never settle for the low end, I figured Id look at the 600 or 620 instead. More power is never a bad thing.

Of those saws, I know the Dolmar and Echo dont have any type of auto tune type stuff. Or at least thats what I understand from what Ive read. There again, it doesnt seem like the auto tune is a problem at all, but they seem to have needed updates, and thats not something Id be keen on being down a saw, waiting on a shop to get around to taking care of it. Maybe thats not a big deal either. Honestly, this is the one that I keep going back to, and the one I was talking about when I said I made up my mind earlier.

Pricewise, I can get a good deal on the Huskys. Puts the 555 around the $625 mark with tax. $100 more for the 592.
The others are cheaper.

And if I throw the Dolmar/Makita 6400 in, thats a whole other can of worms I dont want to mess with.

All that said above, I dont mind working on my own stuff. I do everything else myself (except medical, lol), whats a chainsaw to the mix? I mention that because of the lack of Dolmar/Makita dealers around.
EDIT: I just found out a guy not 10 miles from me is a full service Dolmar dealer....that might change things a bit.

Honestly, I could probably take the Echo out, as its not something I even considered until I got to really doing research and looking at all the 60cc saws. Its not like its a huge bargain over the others, unless i go with the 590.
I looked at Stihl, and would throw the MS362 in there, except for the dealer, but if its stone reliable, maybe I should add it back in. The thing is, its the most expensive by far. Almost $100 more than the price I was given on the 562xp.

Any of them will serve you well. They really are too similar to say one is the 'best'. You will not get a straight answer.

I own a Dolmar 6100 and had a 6421 till I put a 7910 jug on it. The 6100 and 6421 cut totally differently. 6421 had a lot more torque. Oodles more. BUT the 6100 is my choice. I own one, but the 562 is a smidge lighter. None but the 562,6421, or 6100 can really run a 24 in bar, and even then not with much authority (other then the 6421, and I still think that is marginal). Echo saws are good too but kinda chunky. The husky like handling and inboard clutch is what sold me on the 6100. It handles like a baby brother to the 372XP.

Thanks for the reply. Like I said, seems like everyone really likes their Dolmars. I think thats the way Im leaning. Price wise, I can get one and save $200 over the 562xp, so its a bargain if its close in performance.

You maybe should be lookin' at 70cc saws...

Then you'll have something that will rip like a saw should in that wood you're talkin' about.

The Dolmar 6400 might be your best bet if you insist on 60cc.

Personally I have a second generation Stihl MS362C and I wouldn't swap it for anything else. The only other saw in the same class I would consider is the 562XP but here it's even more expensive. :laugh:

Are you stuck on getting a new saw? A 6421 can had for $300-$350 used from Home Depot, and sometimes cheaper. The ones Ive seen have all been in good condition, and the option for the 80cc upgrade has made it a winner in my book.

You can also get a MS361 for around the same price if you scour CL or the tradingpost here too. Power wise my vote is on the Dolmar/Makita though.

For the price of the 555 you can get a Jonsered 2260 (same as the 562xp but with small mount bars same as the 55). Or you can get a 2258 (same as the 555).

Nate @fordf150 is great to deal with.....he sells Echo and Dolmar too. If you're gonna get the Echo, just get a 70cc saw they're the same size.

Lots of existing threads to read on this site and others as well. Not sure if any stone has not yet been turned over. The bars for a 55 will fit on the Dolmar 6100 and the Husqvarna 555. You can get into sensible sprockets for those bars in 0.325 for those as well just need the drum from the 50cc Husqvarna as spare for that choice.

Is dual felling or bucking spikes important?
Is inboard vs outboard clutch of any concern?
If any of them can be (reliably) turned off and then back on without setting the fast idle that would be nice for my applications.

I find the 562 only attraktive over the 555 when doing a a lot of limbing in soft wood. That is where the REVBOOST shines.

What I would definately choose is a saw where you can swap out bars in the field.

What I like a LOT about the 6100, besides all the other great thing like power, onboard easystart, great antivib & airfiltration, etc. is the large fuel capacity.

The 590 requires a little muffler mod to catch up to the rest of the pack.

My choice would easily be the Dolmar 6100 = Makita 6100!

i have a 6100 and a echo 620P that i did some repairs on and while i had it down i opened up the muffler quite a bit.

i would say the 6100 had the edge stock in HP.

both are good saws with good power.

if i had to pick the winner i would go with the 6100 --although the 620P is certainly nipping at its heels all the way.

the thing that puts the 6100 over the top is excellent fuel economy , a huge fuel tank, and superior air filtration, easy to start and a very smooth runner -- the X-torque-ish system it has sounds a bit like a 4bbl kicking in on an old school hot rod.

the 620P is more of a old school saw , although its about = in power it took a bit of tuning to get it there --and it is a bit 'thirsty" --lol

the only huskys i have been running lately are 372XPs of the non-X-torque type. they run a lot like the 620P only even more thirsty!!--

Hello sir what part of Indiana are you in, inlive around muncie/Yorktown area....

I had a ms362 2012 mode that was as realiable as a hammer....Started in 0 degree like it did 90, only sold it because I got a ms461 and I didn't use it much then....I like the 50cc and 70cc idea....

I work like this, depending on my mood I am in I either use a ms250, 024, or 026 for wood up to 18"....usually when the wood hits 20" or more out comes the 461....

If you are wanting a saw with a 20" bar, and maybe sometimes a 24, get a 60cc....if you plan on needing the 24" or bigger bar a lot, I would get a 70cc...plus a 70cc saw with a 20"--28" bar cuts like an animal!!!!

Sorry for rambling, I just seen you were from Indiana, and it went down hill from there LOL...

Im near Kokomo.

I dont plan to use a 24 much. Mostly 20". My old saw will go to an 18". If I need a smaller one, I can borrow my neighbors. He has a few small saws, including one little Makita he thought wasnt a good saw. Needs a good chain, but runs great. I may try to talk him out of it one of these days....lol.

I think Im fairly set on getting the Dolmar/Makita 6100 now. Got a great price from someone on a new one, thats $200 less than the deal I can get on a 562xp, and I dont think its a $200 better saw, especially considering the 6100 is a big step up from what Ive got now. That and Im a titewad.

Now, once I get to using it a bunch, I may decide I want to go to a 50cc and 70cc saw plan too, but that just means more saws later! I dont see anything wrong with having a couple extras! Now my wife might...but I certainly dont.

No Dolmar dealers around here, there used to be one but they dropped Dolmar and only carry Husqvarna now so I bought a new 562 a couple years ago, after some complaining they put a new carb on it and since then it's been great, I don't think the new 562's today have any carb issues.

look for deals on the 6100 and the 620p. sometimes they can be had way below MSRP

the key is to shop around. start by asking the vendors on AS like ford 150. ECHO often has a 20% off sale and so forth.

if i told you what i got that demo 6100 for --you would cry--lol

Definitely talk to fordf150 first, good guy to deal with, you won't find a bad word about him. !!!

Latest posts

Back