Advice on 041AV to 041 Super conversion, all parts needed.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskyShepherd2016

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello to all.

I need a little bit o’ help for a project I want to start in the next coming months. I’ve got three Stihl 041 AV chainsaws, one of them is a 041 super, which I like a whole lot. It reminds me a lot of a white and orange Poulan 245a with a chain brake! Lol!

Anyway, one of my 041AV saws is in close to new condition and I would like to convert that one to a super. I have already bought the cylinder and it’s going to ship here in a few days. I’m getting started ordering the parts I’ll need.

If all my 041 saws are electronic ignition, which I believe they are, what parts will I need besides the piston, cylinder, and longer crank case studs? Would the same muffler and carb work or do those need changing?

I read somebody on this site converted to a super by only swapping the piston and cylinder and nothing else. But I don’t know if it would run at its best if that were true, and I don’t want to damage my saws with unneeded shortcuts.

Could someone more learned give me a list of the needed parts on the electronic ignition conversion?

And could you give me a list of everything needed if I dive into it and it’s points?

I have not gone into those saws very deep to see what’s all in them yet but the covers say they are all electronic ignition. But for all I know, they could be FrankenSaws and have different parts put in them from people who owned them before me.

I am not going to do the work by myself, I’m going to do the job with some help from my small engine mechanic. Just trying to get started on all the parts needed to save him some hassle.

Thank you all.

Why don’t you print out the IPL, grab a yellow highlighter pen & some cold beer, then sit down and mark all the parts that are specific to the footnote (3) 041 AVSEQ for the Super?

A quick glance through the 44 pages looks like there are 20-25 parts that are different.

I seriously doubt you will get an everything list sent to you for a conversion.

http://thebakeliteradio.com/sawspares.com/Stihl 041 AV IPL.pdf

Well I’m appreciative of your response, and I know that beggars can’t be choosers so I’ll be glad to get what info I can, even if it’s not every exact thing.

Thanks!

P/C studs, washers, nuts.
Carb is the same size, super carb has a high speed enrichener which needs the H adjusted while in the cut.

Latest posts

Back