Advice on a 70cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owtlaw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm new here. I've been lurking for a while though. I own a ranch here in Utah and also do some light excavation and cleanup work. Many times I have to remove trees. I have an Echo CS590 and a Husquavarna 395. I am really thinking that a good 70cc saw would be a great option. It seems I could run up to a 36" bar if necessary at times. For me the most important factor is longevity. I hate breakdowns and poor quality. I have excellent dealers for Stihl, Husquavarna and Echo.i get that the Stihl saws seem to have more power and less weight, how do they hold up compared to the other 2? I was really thinking I liked the 572 but the 462 also piqued my interest. Any feedback you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Probably the 500i with the 462 a close second, third would be the 572. Only the 500i would I really consider using a 36" bar, the others won't be all that happy, unless your in softwood. Personally I'd want 90cc for a saw that runs a 36" bar regularly. I do have a new 390xp with a muffler mod for sale in the trading post. The 390 is like big 372, but a lot nicer to swing around than a 395.

My 461 runs the 32" just fine. For occasional use a 36" would be okay also. I don't know about availability for the 461 anymore, so the 462 or the 500i would be my choices for your situation.

As far as the Echo; my neighbor has one, and I use it quite a bit. When we are out cutting I use it when it is more handy, and I am not impressed with it.

I'm new here. I've been lurking for a while though. I own a ranch here in Utah and also do some light excavation and cleanup work. Many times I have to remove trees. I have an Echo CS590 and a Husquavarna 395. I am really thinking that a good 70cc saw would be a great option. It seems I could run up to a 36" bar if necessary at times. For me the most important factor is longevity. I hate breakdowns and poor quality. I have excellent dealers for Stihl, Husquavarna and Echo.i get that the Stihl saws seem to have more power and less weight, how do they hold up compared to the other 2? I was really thinking I liked the 572 but the 462 also piqued my interest. Any feedback you can give would be greatly appreciated.
I can get you 372xp oe delivered for usd 800 if you're looking for anything in that range
I'm old
no new computer saws for me.
Personally I'd get a new 372 oe
I've ran those since the 371xp
Was introduced.
And have it ported
It's the best combination
Of weight and power cutting hardwoods I have.
I've only run 28" usually 24"
Absolutely will run 36" if needed
Too bar heavy for my taste.

The durability,simplicity parts availability and track record are there for these saws.
If I could buy a new 266xp 268/72 I'd go that route as well.
I hear good things about the 572 and 462 and 500i
But with 20 or 30 70cc saws already
I'm good.

Does 70cc mean 70cc, or anywhere from say 67-76cc?
You already own a 395- stick with orange saws for familiarity and bar compatibility.
36"bar? Maybe at a push and in a pinch, if you had to- but not real world territory for a 70cc saw.
Breakdowns and poor quality often come down to basic repairs and maintenance, plus operator experience- if choosing a saw from a known name manufacturer- look after it and it will look after you.
Stihl saws= more power and less weight? Bit subjective there and many may not agree with that statement- remember factory spec sheets and numbers are not always real world exact.

Old school = 372XP or MS460
New school= 572XP or 500i (if price is not a factor, I would skip a 461 or 462 any day in favour of the 500i, especially factoring in occasional use of a 36"bar)

Or, consider the 80cc class. The requirements you list kind of lean towards a good 288XP or 385XP. Maybe that is too close to 395 for you? But put a standard weight 36"bar on any 70cc plus saw and the weight goes up a fair bit!

Personally, if I was confident in building saws from the case halves up- I would try to find a 272/372XP and build it up with good parts to a reliable 70cc class saw for up to 28/30 inch bar work. If longer bars were more the norm than the exception, I would be looking 288/385. If buying new, 572/500i (taking into account the two "new" big Husqvarnas are not readily available yet).

My 460, bought 11 years ago, with light use is still pulling a 42" square chisel skip chain. Mills up to 381/2" logs. I've not ported the cylinder but did take the time, when new, to match the gasket to the exhaust port, then over match the muffler to the gasket. Used Drexel to open the little holes in the "chimney", got an after market cover with more area for exhaust and took out the original and after market screens to grind to maximize relief of back pressure. Then screens went back in place.
3 years ago I got a new ported 661. The 460 ran as well as the 90cc saw, until the big one broke in. It is called on for milling that uses the 50", 60" or 72" bars with semi skip or full skip to keep chips from clogging up the works.
EPA exhaust restrictions seem to overheat saws and restrict output of motors IMHO
G'day gents

Late to the party.. minimum 90cc class saw for routine 36"+ work in hard woods. I've ran my 390xp quite a bit with a 36" on it and it's much nicer to use then a 394/5xp in the woods. On the mill the 394/5 wins hands down. The 372xp is a great saw, the 572xp is better. Neither is wonderful with that sized bar in stock trim. In stihl land a ms660 or 500i would be the clear choices for the same reasons.

Late to the party.. minimum 90cc class saw for routine 36"+ work in hard woods. I've ran my 390xp quite a bit with a 36" on it and it's much nicer to use then a 394/5xp in the woods. On the mill the 394/5 wins hands down. The 372xp is a great saw, the 572xp is better. Neither is wonderful with that sized bar in stock trim. In stihl land a ms660 or 500i would be the clear choices for the same reasons.
Ya. 36 would get very limited use for sure. Probably use a 28 95% of the time. I see no use in having a 32 since I already have a 36 for my 395.ove the 395 but it is not a handy saw at all. For felling I usually get a cut started with my CS 590 and then get the bar started into the cut. Sooooo much easier. That said, the way it cuts absolutely destroys what my 661 would do. I sold the 661 a couple years ago right after using it twice. It was a POS. Stihl had not perfected their mtronic system yet.

Ya. 36 would get very limited use for sure. Probably use a 28 95% of the time. I see no use in having a 32 since I already have a 36 for my 395.ove the 395 but it is not a handy saw at all. For felling I usually get a cut started with my CS 590 and then get the bar started into the cut. Sooooo much easier. That said, the way it cuts absolutely destroys what my 661 would do. I sold the 661 a couple years ago right after using it twice. It was a POS. Stihl had not perfected their mtronic system yet.
You may have been surprised if you'd have let it break in! As I said above. the muf-modded 460 after a fair amount of use kept up with a ported 661 til the 661 got broke in. 15 or 18 tanks IIRC. Then it just lit up and pulls like a team of clydesdales

You may have been surprised if you'd have let it break in! As I said above. the muf-modded 460 after a fair amount of use kept up with a ported 661 til the 661 got broke in. 15 or 18 tanks IIRC. Then it just lit up and pulls like a team of clydesdales
In the winter it gets down around -20 up here. The 661 wouldn't start or idle. That said, I'm not a patient man. Especially at -20. It seems most prefer the 395 anyway.

In the winter it gets down around -20 up here. The 661 wouldn't start or idle. That said, I'm not a patient man. Especially at -20. It seems most prefer the 395 anyway.
There was a sequence to follow on those metronic that I learned and forgotten. Had same troubles at 65°f when was first really using the saw. Asked on line was told about choking 2-3 pulls let it sit a minute ( off or on don't recall) the pull or 2 (choked or unchoked don't know) then it is acclimated to temp n stuff. Worked great ever since the break in period
To each their own. I was shown/ told about starting the other ones never got it right.460, 046, 017 ,170,661 ; once started 1st time for the day they be a pull n go.

I got an MS441C, I love it.
Was my first M-tronic and I haven’t been disappointed yet.

Picked it up used for a good price. If I had bought a new 70cc I likely would’ve spent a little more to get the MS461 or MS462.

Usually she has a 28”, but one day my MS650 was misbehaving, so I swapped the 36” from it onto the 441, and I was genuinely impressed. Fat silver maple, so kinda soft, but aside from the nose-heavy balance, she was great and pulled that 36” just fine.

I don’t see many 441s around here. Everyone spends a little more to get more displacement from the 461/462. Makes sense to me, but the 441 is still a lovely saw, in my humble opinion.

Outlaw: Welcome. Where in UT? I’m in the southern part of the Salt Lake Valley. I’ve got a newer 372XP that you are welcome to try. Great saw. I’ve got a 390XP also, but my go-to saw for many things is the 372XP. Smooth and lots of power. I thought real hard about the 572XP but I‘m old school and like to tune my saws vs the auto-tune stuff. I won’t say anything bad about.the Stihl saws, but for me I like Husqvarna. Ford vs Chevy. Since you’ve already got a 395, bars will swap between the two saws….

JQ

Outlaw: Welcome. Where in UT? I’m in the southern part of the Salt Lake Valley. I’ve got a newer 372XP that you are welcome to try. Great saw. I’ve got a 390XP also, but my go-to saw for many things is the 372XP. Smooth and lots of power. I thought real hard about the 572XP but I‘m old school and like to tune my saws vs the auto-tune stuff. I won’t say anything bad about.the Stihl saws, bit for me I like Husqvarna. Ford vs Chevy. Since you’ve already got a 395, bars will swap between the two saws….

JQ
I have a place in Riverton.

Back