Advice on a 70cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just dnt feel like the 462 has the torque to pull longer bars then 24", and it's probably my favorite 70cc saw, 461 ported is probably best all around saw in that class to me, 372oe ported is really close and parts are more plentiful.

I just dnt feel like the 462 has the torque to pull longer bars then 24", and it's probably my favorite 70cc saw, 461 ported is probably best all around saw in that class to me, 372oe ported is really close and parts are more plentiful.
Mine pulls 28" no issues at all, but she's pretty well broke in. It would have significant command over a 24" bar. If I were to be buying a new saw right now for a mainly 28" bar use, I would go 500i.

I wouldn't run a 32/36 on the 462 for more than just the odd big tree for sure.

I have the fortunate luck to have a selection of 70cc saws . The 372 oe is an excellent saw for general use but running anything over a 28" on a STOCK one is "fan boy " talk I've run new ones and old well taken care of ones all stock and a 28 is about it with full comp and a gentle touch(skip is better) , and honestly the 044 mag I have is about the same , both very strong pleasurable saws to cut with.
As stated earlier the Ms441s I run will pull a 34" very well buy comparison but the saw was discontinued and alittle heavy for its cc class.
Running a 36" on a stock 70cc is like playing the accordion while ridding an unicycle, Awkward to say the least.

For the op, I'd say a 461 sounds like the way to go. A USFS faller on another forum I frequent runs a 36" bar on mostly-stock 461's full time with no issues, and I can attest that they will pull a 28 without any problems.
20210420_162920.jpg

The OP already has a 395, that will run a long bar, no point on having two saws
to run the long bar, especially when he says it only comes out from time to time.
With that in mind and 70cc saw mentioned will be fine for a shorter bar, Stihl 462, 461,
Husqvarna 572 Echo CS7310, or the old trustworthy 372, not much need for another saw to run a 32 bar when he has a 395, unless he sells it and replaces it with something lighter.

My guess is the 395 weighs too much and needs to be replaced, thus a 500i.

The OP already has a 395, that will run a long bar, no point on having two saws
to run the long bar, especially when he says it only comes out from time to time.
With that in mind and 70cc saw mentioned will be fine for a shorter bar, Stihl 462, 461,
Husqvarna 572 Echo CS7310, or the old trustworthy 372, not much need for another saw to run a 32 bar when he has a 395, unless he sells it and replaces it with something lighter.

My guess is the 395 weighs too much and needs to be replaced, thus a 500i.
My winter work includes removal of downed trees and the occasional troublesome beaver dam. Some of the cottonwood that I have to get through are 4 ft or bigger. The 395 is a hell of a saw but packing it 50 feet uphill in the snow kinda sucks.

My winter work includes removal of downed trees and the occasional troublesome beaver dam. Some of the cottonwood that I have to get through are 4 ft or bigger. The 395 is a hell of a saw but packing it 50 feet uphill in the snow kinda sucks.
One stick of powergel and some det cord are lighter. :innocent: ;)

I’d go with the 372xp she fills the nitch between the 395, it’s time to remove the bar cover chew bubble gum and kickasses. Both saws will do that.

Back