Advice on a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConnorC247

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Recently i have had a lot of trees and branches come down on our 15 acres and i am realizing i need to get a saw instead of borrowing my buddys ms250. I like the 250 and that price point but am worried about power for some of the bigger stuff. not totally sure on any husky or echo equivalents for the same price and power but am open for all recommendations.

What is the average size of the trees that you need to cut, and what is the largest size? Also, are they mostly hardwoods or softwoods? I love my MS250 in softwood of any size (I dropped a 95 foot tall pine with it once), but I think if the bar was buried in hardwood it wouldn't be able to cut that well.

What is the average size of the trees that you need to cut, and what is the largest size? Also, are they mostly hardwoods or softwoods? I love my MS250 in softwood of any size (I dropped a 95 foot tall pine with it once), but I think if the bar was buried in hardwood it wouldn't be able to cut that well.
average is around 10-12” biggest 16 probaly and honestly a half and half

At minimum I would reccomend a ms 261 or a 550xp. If your looking the cheaper route I don't think you would go wrong with a echo cs 490/ 4910. They are good saws and have decent power for their size. The ms 250 can be a bigger to start and if it has the easy start system can be expensive to fix if/when it goes out. If looking used there are a lot of old but good options. A 026 stihl is always a worthy saw, 346xp, 353, or even a 350 husqvarna are excellent 50cc class saws.

Yeah, if price is a factor, some of the farm and ranch or homeowner saws might be ok.

Sounds like the Echo CS-490 is a good one. Price is right, and the 5 year warranty for non-commercial use is attractive if the saw will be left in stock form.

A pro-saw, really? I love a pro-saw, but I could certainly maintain my 8 acres of timber with a less expensive home-owner saw. My first saw (14 yrs ago) was an MS250C. Since then I have added two 025s, an 036, an MS290, two HT75s and a couple 009s. I also have a small assortment of old Homies, some running, some not. If I could keep only two of my users, they would be the 036-20inch and the MS250C-18inch. But I would absolutely hate to have to part with all but 2 saws! T-A

A pro-saw, really? I love a pro-saw, but I could certainly maintain my 8 acres of timber with a less expensive home-owner saw. My first saw (14 yes ago) was an MS250C. Since then I have added two 025s, an 036, an MS290, two HT75s and a couple 009s. I also have a small assortment of old Homies, some running, some not. If I could keep only two of my users, they would be the 036-20inch and the MS250C-18inch. But I would absolutely hate to have to part with all but 2 saws! T-A

I agree, and that is why I gave the OP the optional viewpoint. However, once you experience the pro saws, it is hard to go back to the farm/rancher saws. My ms290 was a great saw for 10 years, and it was hard to let it go. I replaced it with the ms261, mostly because I was ready for something new and different, and OMG! In hindsight the ms290 was a boat anchor. More power, lighter weight, m-tronic, captured nuts, overall build-fit-finish, just everything puts the pro saw a league ahead.

I like the 250 and that price point but am worried about power for some of the bigger stuff.
If you get the Stihl dealership to sell you a MS251 with picco rim sprocket and 18 inch bar I doubt the power will be insufficient for what I read. Then you and your friend can discuss if you think it is an improvement over the ms250 or not.

The MS 261 is the same weight, probably uses a heavier bar, and for good reason recommended above.

If you've ever ran the ms 250 vs a 260 you wouldn't touch the 250 imo. I understand the not used often thing, but far too often we hear homeowner guys with the ms250 complaining about how hard they are to start, and I've experienced the easy start crapping the bed and the cost to replace it just wasn't worth it. (For the guy I was working on it) ended up going to a normal starter, then he complained it was too hard to pull over and traded it on a new saw. If cost was the major factor I'd 100% be getting the echo.

Why no mention of Husqvarna? I don't know the Husky line-up, so I have nothing to suggest, but my T435 climbing saw (my only Husky) is a joy to own and operate. It's certainly not what the OP needs, but I would seriously consider recommendations on Huskys before I made my purchase. O (aka T-A!)

I mean if we are talking about getting a cheap saw just wait a couple months and grab one of the poulan offerings on black friday at tractor supply, mernards, lowes etc for 100 bucks. If you want a really nice saw expect to cry at the cash register but your hands, back and feet will thank you if you run it longer than half of a hour, not forgetting it will cut much faster and have more aftermarket parts and consumable support. If your game to get a good saw go to a few rental businesses and rent a couple to test run to help you decide if its a good fit.

An ms250 with the right chain and a good muffler mod is a capable saw able to cut through a 16 Inch piece of dry hardwood without struggling. Stock with a less than an ideal chain it would be best kept in green softwood.
My samples were always reliable and easy to start, don't know why other people have trouble. Here's a 230 with 250 guts on a piece of dry ash it cut.
IMG_20200926_170405.jpg
Used saws in the 50cc range I would look for a Husqvarna 55 or 353, new I would look at an Echo 490.
Saw preference can be highly personal. If you can, try one out before you make a decision, a rental place will help out here.

Open to all options?
If it was me I'd go with a good used pro saw from a respectable seller right here on the forums, they'll be honest and up front about particulars of their saws, if they're not... walk away.
Any pro saw from a Stihl ms361 , Husqvarna 365 , a ProMac 10-10S , Jonsered 2165 or, Poulan 3700 is going to serve you for possibly your life time if maintained.
There's lots of good people here who are long standing members with plenty of saws built and sold.
Not everyone is a tinkerer so go with a "turn key" saw and then you could expand to some of your own projects.

OP i'm not a pro but i cut a good bit of wood. was using junk poulan years and years ago. stumbled across this forum, and ended up buying a 346xp pro saw from husqvarna - used, with some mods on it built by a guy here. just as maintenance supervisor said. it was 100% the right move. I was less tired cutting, which is the most dangerous time to cut. cut faster and quicker. lastly, once i ran into some problems with the saw, since it was a pro saw, one of the mechanics on here was able to fix me right up without much difficulty - for him...

Personally I’m a husqvarna guy so that’s what I would recommend. I know the 455/460 ranchers get talked down a lot but they are a pretty decent saw for what you are wanting to do, and can be had for under 500 bucks.

Latest posts

Back