Advice on a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why no mention of Husqvarna?

A 026 stihl is always a worthy saw, 346xp, 353, or even a 350 husqvarna are excellent 50cc class saws.

While I agree the Echo CS590 is an excellent value saw, given the OP's description of use & assuming he's looking for a 1 saw plan (although this might change if he continues to hang around here)... I would think a saw in the ~50cc range would be best suited.
My money would probably go on the Echo CS490 if buying new, otherwise one of the husky 3 series ~50cc saws as Sean suggested.
The redundancy of a 2 saw plan is attractive if funds permit... I'd then be looking for a ~40cc & a ~60cc Saw for what you describe

With an average and largest of 16" pretty much anything above 40cc is going to work and be fairly quick about it. You could go smaller, but the time in the cut will suffer.

Generally, a 40-60cc rear handled chainsaw with a 16 or 18" bar is what you're looking for.

If price point is the only thing you care about right now, grab just about anything with a 16" bar from a big box store, put the rest of the money in the bank. You could buy a Poulan 3x before you buy 1 ms261. Keep it maintained, drain fuel and run till it dies when storing it, and store it in a dry place, they will last you quite a while in a home owner type usage.

If you want something with a brand name people consider 'better', get an ms271 or a home owner Husqvarna 40-50cc saw or an equivalent echo.

If you want something that you're going to be proud of and feel good about running, go ahead and get an ms261(or an ms241 if you can find one). Professional saws are great, but not necessary to clean up windfall on 8 acres. I personally would buy a pro saw even if that was my only use case, however, that's not necessarily the right choice for everyone.

I personally would buy a pro saw even if that was my only use case, however, that's not necessarily the right choice for everyone.
This is my philosophy as well. I like to "buy once, cry once" rather than feeling like I got the wrong "insert anything here", and then have to go buy a better one and spend more money a second time. I don't know Husky saws at all, but in the Stihl line I'd be pushing the 261 as an entry point.

2 other decent but cheaper saws would be the Echo CS400 and the Poulan Pro 5020.
Not exactly pro level but both are better made than your typical lower end consumer saw.
With the CS400 it gives you room to expand up to a 60cc which is a nice 2 saw setup.
Personally, I like a having a small top handle saw, one around 40cc, and one around 60cc.
Though I don't need the 60cc much around here.
That being said, I also really love running my Husky 350 too. Just depends on what you need and how far down the rabbit hole of CAD you might go.

This is my philosophy as well. I like to "buy once, cry once" rather than feeling like I got the wrong "insert anything here", and then have to go buy a better one and spend more money a second time. I don't know Husky saws at all, but in the Stihl line I'd be pushing the 261 as an entry point.
A good / pro saw will always be worth it, even if it gets little use it will sell well
if the need arises. The Echo 590 hands down is the best saw for the money, and its
as close to pro as makes no difference, its a shade heavy.
The MS261 would be my choice in the current pro range of 50cc saws, though before I need
such a saw I hope someone comes out with one that does not have Mtronic or Autotune, I like
the older design with the standard carb that I can fix myself, no need to pay to have it hooked up
to a computer to tell me whats wrong, and no need to have it hooked up again to program / pair
the likes of a new coil with the rest of the saw.

If you're considering the Echo 490, get the upgraded 4910. It's got the cylinder and piston from the 501P and should make noticeably more power than the 490. A muffler mod is very easy on either.

A good / pro saw will always be worth it, even if it gets little use it will sell well
if the need arises. The Echo 590 hands down is the best saw for the money, and its
as close to pro as makes no difference, its a shade heavy.
The MS261 would be my choice in the current pro range of 50cc saws, though before I need
such a saw I hope someone comes out with one that does not have Mtronic or Autotune, I like
the older design with the standard carb that I can fix myself, no need to pay to have it hooked up
to a computer to tell me whats wrong, and no need to have it hooked up again to program / pair
the likes of a new coil with the rest of the saw.
You can get the 261 in standard carb form. My dealer had a couple at least until late last year. Haven’t been back in awhile to see if they are still there.

Latest posts

Back