aerial lifts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darin

No Longer Here
Reaction score
I got this email today and wondered if you all could help him.

I am looking for alittle bit of advice on aerial access.
I have been reading periodicals on Arb. issues from the States for some time now with interest and envy at the proactive and forward thinking attitude you all have to the industry.
I am particularly interested in the hoist machinery (mechanically elevated work platforms) used by contractors in the US. You seem to achieve incredible distance and manoeuvrability and still manage to keep the gross vehicle weight well down.
My company, Drenagh Tree Services, operates in Northern Ireland, we employ 26 full time cutters and climbers to service various contracts from utilities to local authorities.
Recently I have been wondering about using hoists in urban tree pruning operations. Could you advise me which manufacturer (s) supplies the best kit? We are looking for a machine which can tow a chipper as well.
Maybe you could suggest a contractor I could speak to.
Thank you in advance for your help and I look forward to hearing from you.
Yrs
Conolly McCausland
Proprietor
DRENAGH TREE SERVICES
Estate Office
Drenagh
Limavady
Co Londonderry
N. Ireland
tel: 00 44 (0) 28 7772 2649
fax: 00 44 (0) 28 7772 2061
[email protected]

Welcome to this fine (young) site.

I get excited every time I see an Asplundh boom in tree work. I had only a 45' model, but it worked well for me to the day I sold it, with little trouble and reasonably low cost. I never had to replace the cables, so I did not experience the full life cycle costs. I understand Altec has now taken over the name and technology. They are a world-wide company, and probably distribute on the Island. Maybe they have since increased the rated capacity beyond 300lbs. I hope so, because we found the 300 lb limit to be limiting in other rental applications.

Other manufacturers are out there too, and I'm sure you've searched directly for them or for equipment brokers that flog used equipment. Get a diesel-powered chassis, and make sure you purchase the truck with gears low enough to allow you to get into and out of tough spots without abusing the clutch.

Others will have more up-to-date information than me - good luck.

I'm a mechanic and can give you a little knowledge on the overall "what's best" of two different machines that they use at one of the places I work at. We had three Hi-Rangers. There came a time when the boss wanted another one and he bought an Altec as he was talked into it by a salesman who pointed out that it could lower to the ground or alot closer to ground level than the Hi-Rangers could. It also had many more "DOO-DADS", 4 stabilizer pads or arms etc.. It also had way more controls in the bucket as the Hi-Ranger had one control that you could do side to side, up and down raising lower & upper boom seperately etc., all from the one joy stick. Anyway, shortly after this brand new truck with the Altec came in everybody wanted it and as usually is the case the boss gave it to one of his best guys. Shortly thereafter we were getting another rebuilt Hi Ranger to replace one of the older units and this guy almost got into a fist fight with the guy that was getting that unit as he wanted the Hi Ranger. All I can say is I worked at that company for 4 years and we hardly ever had a problem with those Hi Rangers, once in awhile a hydraulic leak or a bucket would get damaged and need repairs, but, all in all a GOOD unit. The Altec is the least favorite in the yard now and has many more maintanence problems than all 4 Hi Rangers combined. And yes they get used daily. I remember having to replace cables on one once but that was about it, other than that no problems and I also noticed on one or two of these that the were built in the late 1940's (the main frames). I'm no expert on 'em, but all those guys that worked there had been there upwards of 15 years and they swore by them. By the way they were mounted on IH 4700 series diesels with as short a wheelbase as possible for wheeling around those back yard jobs. We had a Ford F-7000 for a long time, but the $3000 (in parts) rear wheel cylinders and anything else you had to buy for a Ford proved their demise.

I did like my Asplundh, but I was heard to grumble at the controls more that once - two hands for sure or be prepared to move with only single functions. My fist truck had a utility boom (brand escapes me, but I'll remember) with a joystick control - much better when manouvering and working the ropes.

I've seen lots of Hi Rangers down south, but no-one here has one to compare notes with.

I may be a bit late with this, as I just found this site last week. I have operated Reach-All and Lift-All units. The newer ones all have a single joystick control. The Reach-All's I used at a local municipality didn't go over center, and that limited reach, but they had better safety features. We had minor problems with both brands, but nothing major. Since bucket trucks (and chippers) are a high-maintenance item, I would recommend choosing from models with local distributors/service. Keep your eyes open as you drive around, see what other companies in your area are using. Stop and ask a crew about the equipment they are using. Most guys (at least myself, anyway) will offer an opinion to a fellow treeman if asked. I have always figured there was plenty of work for everyone and have always been willing to offer kind advice to a fellow treeman.
By the way, no quicker way to ruin a perfectly good climber than hand him keys to a bucket truck! Once I got my hands on one I avoided climbing whenever possible!

The last line in your post Brian made me think of a true story.

A local bunch of volunteer fire fighters got their hands on a Jaws of Life Unit. They trained and trained on victim extraction from wrecked cars. Got the time down to the point they were efficient. The Chief felt the addition would be a great asset.

Well, a short while later, a real call came in and off they went. It was a two vehicle crash - one car was wrecked with two people inside, and the other was damaged less. Well, like a bunch of champs, the volunteers grabbed their Jaws of Life and we on top of the car like bees on honey.

The Chief saw this and became concerned. He walked over, saw 5 of his best men busy cutting the roof off the car. He reached down and opened the door with the handle ....

I myself have stood looking at a tree from bucket-access point of view, only to be reminded that there is a more efficient option available. It happens to us all.

Back