aftermarket ignition coil MS261 M-tronic?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
finally got the fuel solenoid in. The saw fired on the first pull idled for a second or two then died. Wouldn't even sputter trying to start again. I got a few weak sparks turning it with the drill again. I couldn't get it to try to start again though.

rather frustrating.

sounds like the next step is ignition coil?

I have a 261cm 2017, bought used from eBay. (UK). I did not like the idea of mtronic, but wanted to try it. Saw ran just fine for perhaps 25 hrs work, then wouldn't idle and difficult to start and "piss" revved. As it wouldn't idle I couldn't reset it. I thought to myself "well, you asked for it"......After much research i bought a Stihl service kit which included a white fuel solenoid and an orange fuel filter which is supposedly finer mesh and an airfilter. I was amazed that this service kit was considerably less expensive than a solenoid on its own. I found it was possible to change (original Black) solenoid without removing carb. I flushed tank, fitted new filters. Saw started easily, completed standard reset without difficulty and has continued to run flawlessly for 3 yrs. I didn't like the plastic cage clutch bearing, so I changed the clutch to an Oregon clutch , bearing and rim kit for a stihl 026/260 which is entirely satisfactory. This clutch spline will also take a 3/8 rim. Excellent saw, worth the trouble. (for me at least). YMMV !

Back