Air drying slabs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehingerc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’m going to be slabbing out a couple logs soon. I have a shed with no power to it, so I won’t be able to run a dehumidifier in there. What would be better: storing them in the shed or just in my yard? Regardless, I will be stickering them appropriately.

If in my yard is better, do I cover them? If so, how? I heard tarps aren’t good because they trap the moisture. Thanks in advance

I’m going to be slabbing out a couple logs soon. I have a shed with no power to it, so I won’t be able to run a dehumidifier in there. What would be better: storing them in the shed or just in my yard? Regardless, I will be stickering them appropriately.

If in my yard is better, do I cover them? If so, how? I heard tarps aren’t good because they trap the moisture. Thanks in advance
Stack and sticker them elevated from the ground in the shade. If you had a couple PT beams that could be the base up on some cinder blocks. Just cover the top with a bit of overhang so you get good air circulation. I use plastic corregated roofing, need to weight that so it don't blow off. I use the waste cuts when you first open up the log.

Why the shade? Helps prevent drying too fast where the sun hits things which results in checking. Seal the ends of the slabs. Anchor seal works great.

Sheds provide shade. And pretty good raincover, too.
Most sheds lack air circulation if you put much lumber in them. I learned to stack FAS select in the shade when I worked for a lumber mill. The owner put the lumber he wanted to keep under the shade of hardwood trees. They would dry even and slowly in the summer and when the leaves fell continue drying in the weaker sunlight of the fall/winter without much checking.

I never got into making lumber with all the huge trees we cut down, but I always figured that I would make an open sided shed with all the cottonwood trees. It's fairly durable wood, and nobody wants it for anything else except maybe disposable pallets. Perfect for rain cover for the drying wood you wish to keep. Also: same plan for firewood! Cheap shed to keep the water off the firewood.

Alas... Never happened. Maybe when I get out of business and have more time.

Open sided sheds are excellent for air drying lumber or cordwood. Some removable panels on the walls would be good for heavy storms or when the snow flies here.

I need to build myself a shed also, if I get the time to mill some lumber up.

Stack and sticker them elevated from the ground in the shade. If you had a couple PT beams that could be the base up on some cinder blocks. Just cover the top with a bit of overhang so you get good air circulation. I use plastic corregated roofing, need to weight that so it don't blow off. I use the waste cuts when you first open up the log.

Why the shade? Helps prevent drying too fast where the sun hits things which results in checking. Seal the ends of the slabs. Anchor seal works great.
This.

For run of the mill slabs without a specifically identifiable purpose when slabbed, I do exactly that - stacked in cut order, stickered, bound, and covered with corrugated tin or plastic and it sits outside Done. At some point, the slabs transition into a shed, then the shop.

Latest posts

Back