Air Powerd Throwline Cannon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonner1040

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Air Powered Tree Access - YouTube

So we made an air cannon. The only power source is a standard bicycle pump or any random compressor or similar air source. See a rough drawing here:

View attachment 220503

The first build was PVC which was definitely a mistake. It exploded @ 60psi twice. The second build is all steel and much sleeker. So far we have been using 12 and 16 ounce Weaver weights and the 16 works best. Easily launches either weight REALLY HIGH (I initially said 200' but have yet to measure it accurately). By decreasing the PSI you can control and aim with remarkable accuracy and repeatability. It stands a little over 6 feet assembled and the end easily pivots on the ground for aiming and recoil free firing.

The build was really easy:

Assemble pieces as in drawing using teflon tape and pipe wrenches.

The ball valve should have handle @ 90 degrees to tube for “closed/armed”. My experience is that it works best when the “trigger” mechanism is to pull the handle towards the user.

1. Set valve to “closed/armed”
2. attach pump to sniffer valve (located on T fitting)

3. Load throwball attached to throwline of choice. (it will take some rolling and mabe a stick to jam it in there. A good fit is best.

4. Pump to between 40 and 100 psi depending on weight and height.

5. Aim . Fire. Awesome huh?

NOTE:
Regrettably the two outside videos looked really good in 1080 but once compressed to 960 for youtube/ivideo convenience they didnt look as great. Both height tests with the tree outside were well over the tree.

This is the first video i have ever edited and uses footage from my phone and the Contour Roam i just bought this week. I will hopefully get a better video put together and posted 1080p quality soon.

Uh, I am pretty sure thats false. I used to be a Tower Technician, working on antennas and such and something like this would NEVER be used. How would you verify an anchorpoint on a steel structure 300+ above you? Besides all industrial rope access requires 2 lines per OSHA, one working line and one life life, both with rated 5000+ lb anchorage.

Thanks for the response though. I am surprised noone else is interested.

Uh, I am pretty sure thats false. I used to be a Tower Technician, working on antennas and such and something like this would NEVER be used. How would you verify an anchorpoint on a steel structure 300+ above you? Besides all industrial rope access requires 2 lines per OSHA, one working line and one life life, both with rated 5000+ lb anchorage.

Thanks for the response though. I am surprised noone else is interested.

I am sure that you know your trade quite well. Unfortunately, you don't seem to have any idea what the "antenna installers" are that were originally suggested. The suggestion you objected to is not even slightly false nor misleading. You should have followed his advice before you labeled it "false".

Apparently there are a fair number of folks that engage in radio hobbies that have "meets" where they do radio stuff and talk all over the place. They move in on some field with trees, and they hoist up their radio antennas and then do whatever they do.

They routinely use air cannon devices to launch the throwballs and other projectiles.

Back