Air Powerd Throwline Cannon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your air gun came out pretty nice. If you had a adjustable CO2 system that would be cool too. I'm going to buy that decoy launcher. It might have some drawbacks, but I like shooting stuff that go bang. It might freak out some HO, so much the better.
I like shooting over the whole tree some times. I might give the air gun a try too. You seem to have it pretty dialed in. What does it weigh?

I used a bow with a custom blunt arrow and a bow fishing reel

to put lines in tall trees years ago. I got good at getting the line exactly where I wanted it, no problems until one day 'Barney Fife' showed up and wrote a ticket for using a weapon in city limits. Should have gone to court but was really busy so just paid the fine and kept a lookout for doughnut scarffers after that. Actually Big Shots are illegal to use in most towns if the cops want to push it.

APTA devices are not illegal at all. They hve an ATF classification as a line setting device. Using compressed air and being purpose built as a professional tool, it is neither classified as a destructive device, OR a firearm. Legal in all 50 states bub.

They weigh in at about 25 lbs, all heavy duty steel. An aluminum version is in the works.

I should have another unit (64-S shoulder deployed, compact shape) ready in March, right now for the steel versions we are looking at $325 + shipping.

An aluminum version is in the works, I am guessing <10lb but of a different design. Same fundamental use but a different shape. A 6' model is most economical and could probly be had around $250 maybe less, they are actually the best I think as it fits wherever a pruner fits. a version like the 64'S would be really cost prohibitive.

The 64-S's rifle shape is more novelty than anything.

Get yourself some liability insurance if you are going to sell a pressurized device that launches something! Probably should set up a separate 'legal entity' so that a claim (frivolous or not) doesn't take your house, etc.

Philbert

Ham

If you guys want more information (and some pre-built kits) search for "antenna launcher." Ham radio operators use these to set up emergency antennas.

Back