Almost every chainsaw I own leaks plenty of bar oil every time I move it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My saws are Stihls, all leak oil when sitting. Even my Greenworks electric leaks. Someone gave me a pack of puppy-training pads and Dollar Store got me some baking pans of various sizes. I stick a pad in a baking pan for each saw. They still leak. But I no longer have oil-soaked cardboard and newspaper to hassle with. My Stihl 211 leaks oil like a sieve and I try to remember to drain that one. [I have heard too many people to count complain about this with the 211.] Had to laugh when I realized the elec. saw was leaking....keeping up with big siblings I suppose.

No mention of which brand? Husqvarns are commonly fixed here, for copious oil slobber......a proper oil system will have a correctly sealed / seated oil line on the clutch side. Thats the LAST point of seal, and the only to leak when the engine sits........
Which brand? All of them. I have over 20 saws. Some don't leak until I move them. Then they leak.

Two types of chainsaws: those that leak oil, and those that have never been filled with oil.
I have to confess that I was being (only slightly) sarcastic in that statement. In my experience it does apply to MOST saws.

One exception has been my Oregon 40V battery saws, which leak almost no bar oil (aside from residual oil on the bar and chain dripping off). I forgot to drain one, once, and found the bar oil tank full after almost a year. Pretty impressive.

Philbert

My little Husqvarna 140 has leaked bar oil since new! I've got in the habit of leaving the oil tank a bit low, otherwise it ends up in the bottom of the plastic carry case.

Good use for pizza boxes after they get moved to the garage! Guy at work gave me a Husky 445 because it leaked oil. Took me a while to even see anything it left behind. Bought it a new chain and used it quite a bit last year - really like the saw and its newer than any of my Stihl's.

Well my old 12v DeWalt SMOKES, and has since new, lol. You can see FIRE coming from the brushes when this happens occasionally. I'm shocked the thing still works 12 years later! Got some used batteries from my brother to keep it going. 😁

It doesn't matter what brand saw, what brand oil, temperature, ect, ect, ect, When the saw is used the chain pulls oil around the bar, when the saw is stopped the oil comes off the chain, the top of the bar has oil in the groove also, when the saw sits all that oil runs off the bar and back to the sprocket and on the floor, in the case, wherever. I use oil absorbent pads under the saws if they are setting for a while. If no oil ever runs off then the oiler is not working, the bar oil hole is plugged, or the oil tank has been running empty.
Hot days really squirt oil out of mine. I put insulation on my shipping container’s roof which dropped inside temps from 140 down to 100 and this helps a lot.

I just refurbished a 025 for a neighbor, it don't leak oil at the shelf - I had it for several moths.
I don't own one but the best saw ever made concerning power and weight in my view.
I have a MS241cm myself but that's more like diamonds in your ear, you don't need it if you have a 025.

I just refurbished a 025 for a neighbor, it don't leak oil at the shelf - I had it for several moths.
I don't own one but the best saw ever made concerning power and weight in my view.
I have a MS241cm myself but that's more like diamonds in your ear, you don't need it if you have a 025.
Some of the guys, especially the older ones, don't think the 025-MS250 saws are easy to start. I own one but haven't noticed it. I don't think mine leaks oil yet..

Back