Alpina canadian ad, a digital oddity or a plain fraud?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Meijer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
At lunch at home, I Googled ' Alpina Chainsaw' just to see what would be there on recent threads. I also scrolled down on the pictures . My eyes caught a very familiar picture, as I took it myself a few years ago. It appears this picture is used by a trading company who advertises NOS goods only, in this case clutches for the Alpina 90 and 120 that I had advertised myself on Ebay this summer. 1635412776966.pngThe whole ad by this company Wefinexi (?) is illustrated with my pictures I took and used myself on Ebay at one point. Most saws depicted are in the US with their new caretakers btw. Now I do not mind so much that my creative property is used without my permission: once you upload a picture on a public forum like Ebay you basicly wave any rights. The point is, the ad suggests you can actually buy these clutches - most of which are still with me here in the Netherlands.
So I do wonder if this company is able to follow through on any possible order made. They could have their own supply, but advertise with my pictures - or is this is a plain scam? Any ideas? Mike

Attachments

• Alpina Trio.JPG
    Alpina Trio.JPG
    569.4 KB · Views: 12
How’s the pricing? I’ve seen scam tool sites promoted on the first page of google results before. Usually the giveaway is too good to be true prices but maybe they’re changing tactics.

In answer to the pricing, 40 canadian is about 25% cheaper than my pricing was in GBP ( I advertise on an english- language european site for wider reach). And by Googling again, I now see the same kind of ad that seems to run in Brazil, now with a price of 34.99 US which is in line with the canadian price tag. Same set of pictures used, but now under the 'Redige' banner.
To make myself clear, I do not care if this is disrupting my 'business' one way or the other as this simply is no business - there is hardly any penny to be made, lol! But I happen to have some NOS that must rate as very rare by now, and original partslist with exploded views of every Alpina / Castor model up to 1987. In all an average size box that is not in my way (yet) and should be good for some change. Some buyers were very pleased their classic saw was functioning again, and I do not like the idea these folk are facing potential fraud, and that based on my advertisement.

I would like to find out if I have any legal leverage to make these ads disappear. Mike

I would think google would be interested to know they’re promoting scam sites, there’s probably a contact email or something. Then again it’s been a couple of years I’ve been seeing these sites through google and nothing has been done to fix it. Most of us can spot the scam but to the elderly/ tech illerate they might seem legit, since google is promoting it. Maybe you could send a cease and desist to the isp hosting the site. Good luck, hopefully you can get it shut down.

I would think google would be interested to know they’re promoting scam sites, there’s probably a contact email or something. Then again it’s been a couple of years I’ve been seeing these sites through google and nothing has been done to fix it. Most of us can spot the scam but to the elderly/ tech illerate they might seem legit, since google is promoting it. Maybe you could send a cease and desist to the isp hosting the site. Good luck, hopefully you can get it shut down.
Unfortunately I am rather illiterate if it comes to the internet. And, if my legit ads on brit Ebay are an indication, very few people are interested in this stuff, which makes it an odd choice to be fraudulent with. Yet it is there, and perhaps this scamming is based on a large scale of fake items. I'll check into this with Google, thank you for the pointer.

In trying to notify Google, it appears it is 'scam-galore' with that organisation. Meaning it is dead-simple to (ab)use Google to peddle your fake ware. The ads by Wefinexi and Redige are a typical example, filled with just fluff. Those behind it have no clue on what the product represents (hardly an existing market in this case) but roam the internet for new products and then present them as their own. Indeed, why having knowledge of items you do not have. I made use of the Signal-Arnaques site, reporting these ads as scams. So thank you JD for this excellent and specific information, and all of you who have given this a thought. The realisation that it has become easy and widespread to fool unaware folk worldwide is a sobering one. Mike

Back