aluminum vs plastic hard hats

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both. I think the most practical and protective is a quality plastic cap. I like the helmet style for wildland firefighting because it offers some protection in ember showers. Overall I feel it is easy to knock off because of the side brim and can't be fitted with ear muffs. The Bullard 911 cap style is the best.

The old Mac T is too easily penetrated.

I have a Skull Bucket in Aluminum, MSA Plastic with Muffs, & the Petzl hats with ear muffs.

I normally use the SB with earplugs.

I wish the Skull Bucket had a connection point on the underside of the brim for the 3M type earmuffs.

Aluminium. Mac T

Though if i didnt have several mint mac t's i would likely go with plastic cause the SB's are spensive

Wide brim regardless of material, helps keep the rain off me, just better to keep the moss as dry as possible.

The muffs bother me in the woods preffer ear plugs

Metal isnt allowed if you are around electricity, probably the reason they aren't very common.

29CFR section 1910 I believe (been a while). Also an ANZI requirement, I forget that one though.

Not allowed to have stickers, paint, etc either. Reasoning is that it can't be properly inspected.

Granted those rules aren't enforced in a small outfit.
When I was in the AF we had a guy sticker up his hard hard. Would have thought he murdered a nun with how that got treated.

It's not a beverage of choice but sometimes caffeine is your only friend. I used to carry a little plastic jar of Folgers instant mixed with sugar. There was usually some Donettos or maybe a couple of cans of beany-weanies if I dug far enough down into the saw box. Sardines and saltines too.
After an all nighter when it was too late to go home and you'd spent a couple of hours trying to sleep scrunched up on the pickup seat that stuff would put a good edge on your morning.
You can't really boil coffee in your hard hat but you can get it warm enough that it perks you up a little.
Water was always easy to find.
Nice thing about a breakfast like that was that nobody spent much time trying to talk to you and waste your time. You had breath like a cannibal bat.

Plastic for fire, aluminum for everything else. I love the new Skull Buckets. Full-brim all the time, no matter what. Aluminum shows damage that plastic would hide; it's far easier to tell when it's time to replace a tin lid and you won't throw away a perfectly good hat just because ANSI suggests that you must. Also aluminum transfers heat way better so you don't get as hot.

Mr. Hatte is correct re plastic hats not showing weakness or damage. Those hats have to be squeeze tested every few months to check for UV damage. I have had several volunteer helpers over the years show up with a flea market hat that cracked when squeezed. If they break somehow that's my fault.

MI have had several volunteer helpers over the years show up with a flea market hat that cracked when squeezed. If they break somehow that's my fault.

Ah, see, you just break out Ye Olde ANSI/ISEA Z89.1-2014 and say "Right here, you see, on Page 23..." and let 'er rip.

I wear a tin cap logging but plan to get a plastic lid. The suspension on the tin caps is junk in my opinion and the back of my head hurts a little a few hours into the day. They make it look like it has padding but doesn't. The plastic lids have padding under the rachet and have a much nicer sweat band. Yeah I will look less lonker but would rather be comfortable. Also the plastic cap sits much lower so it keeps the sun out of your eyes better. It also is half the price and isn't so damn loud!

Latest posts

Back