Am I doing something wrong? Unfortunately vague description

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ba18070

Reaction score
Hello,

So, I wanted to ask a pretty stupid question since I know the ultimate answer is if you don't feel safe doing something with a chainsaw you just don't do it, end of story. But I wanted to know if this is specific to me, sloppy technique or just generally acceptable to feel this way.

I'm not a professional by any means, but I do spend probably 12+ hours a week in the woods cutting up dead trees for firewood over the winter. Live on an (active) dairy farm so its the best time of the year to have the time to do it. We have two smaller saws, both very small and handy, I think the newest one which is the larger of these two is the MS180 series. Its really nice, reliable, runs exactly as well as I want it to for most of the jobs im doing (I cut up more large branches and small trunks than anything else) and I feel great using it. Okay that's great.

But then I get to some bigger jobs and we have a larger saw. I wish I knew the number because its not with me but it still has "MADE IN WEST GERMANY" on it so its an older model for sure, lol. Its significantly larger than the others though, more than twice as heavy and while the others make a nice hum and higher pitched rumble this one sounds when it idles and runs to sounding very deep and like a large dirtbike. The thing does intimidate me, i'm not going to lie, but i'm fully comfortable with it cutting into a large tree trunk. Since the material isnt going anywhere I know if I just take my time, get behind the saw and control it, make relief cuts as I keep going and be careful towards the end I will be absolutely fine. However lately the smaller two broke and we have a family friend fixing them who is not especially....timely.... about getting the work done. That's fine, he's a busy guy too and its nice he doesnt charge us "mechanic" prices for when something is so broke it needs to be replaced. All that backstory said, we're running low on wood (I moved away last year to be a teacher and they did nothing in my stead) and when I go back i'm afraid of running that saw to do the smaller work. I just feel like its not easily controllable and too powerful for those jobs. That its just too much of a risk because if something happened the mass of is just too heavy to stop-even though I know "overpowering" a kickback should never be your primary or even planned defense, feeling that you could have a reasonable time getting it under control is reassuring at least.

I know a lot of you work with much larger equipment and are probably unimpressed. But i'm just a guy doing what he has to in order to keep my family warm, not someone trying to make money.
Is this a reasonable concern? If not, Is it just that my mechanics and experience base isnt large enough to feel comfortable? I'm not at all lacking in physical strength, so is it just mental or what?
At the end of the day I think i'd rather just go buy a pawn shop saw that I feel safer running and leave it at that, but I want to know if i'm being reasonable about this, its bothered me for a little while to know if i'm letting my fear dictate the situation.

Of course I know this is just your opinion and nobody here knows me, my specific equipment or my specific situations. But it would help to hear from people much more experienced than I.

Thank you for your time, even if you dont respond.

Like you said...if you arent comfortable doing something, don't do it. Larger saws with longer bars tend not to kick as violently as smaller lighter saws, but they can. Any saw can hurt you, its important to understand leverage, inertia, the physics of felling and sawing...you start to see problems before they become problems

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I have larger and smaller saws.
If you are more comfortable with the smaller saws, then keep that going.
Buy a cheap backup saw to tide you over,

A smaller bar on the larger saw may be your cheapest option or buy yet another new tiny saw. If your not scared of a chainsaw then you have no business running one imo. You sound like the perfect candidate for a electric saw, no offence intended.

Sounds like you need to track down a good used 025 or ms250, a little bigger than the 180 a little heavier but not much. It'd be a good backup for either saw and it's still small enough to be easily controlled and could likely be found cheaper than a new equivalent to the 180.

Generally speaking, I'd use the bigger saw as needed, and see if you grow more comfortable with it. Sounds like you should be looking for a mid size (50cc to 60cc) saw if you can't get comfortable with the bigger saw.

Keep in mind that smaller saws will cut a major artery just as quick and easily as a bigger saw.

Lastly get some chainsaw safety chaps. First line of protection.

Your larger saw is no more dangerous than your smaller saws. The only difference would be the weight. If you are fit enough to run the large saw well without becoming over fatigued, you are fine.
Work positioning and technique is what’s crucial to running either saw. Then a sharp chain.
Knowledge of where the tip of your bar is and what it is coming in contact with is your best defense against a kick back. Not being in the path of a kick back should it occur is your second defense. You are not faster than nor can you overpower a strong kick back. Nobody is.

Would be interesting to know exactly what saw the larger "West German" Stihl is- can be a big step up from an MS180 to say an 044, one giant leap for mankind to an 056 or 066.
If you are scared or intimidated by a saw- don't use it. Find someone familiar with that size of saw and get them to walk you through using it, advise you on stance and use, get your confidence up and allow you to become a safe, proficient operator of saws that size.
Anyone using any saw needs to be competent, confident and respectful of what they are using- but they should not be fearful or start using the machine whilst the overriding thoughts are reservations in ability.

as outlined, just because the saw is bigger doesn't mean its more dangerous. all saws need respect, and sometimes its the big saws that get your respect and its the little saws that get you. your mind should be on the cut and everything you do, if you can't focus then it's time for a rest or a change of task.

I tend to find it's the 30cc range that drops me on it, only last week I had a chain fail on me on a little saw as it caught a nail in the timber I hadn't seen and the end of the chain put a hole in my jeans. lazy lazy lazy... and I would always wear full kit with a bigger saw and it's a rarity that I don't have all my kit on. one day in a rush a small saw and a small tree and hey presto I have fashionable jeans!

get used to the big saws, but pay all the saws the respect they deserve

as outlined, just because the saw is bigger doesn't mean its more dangerous. all saws need respect, and sometimes its the big saws that get your respect and its the little saws that get you. your mind should be on the cut and everything you do, if you can't focus then it's time for a rest or a change of task.

I tend to find it's the 30cc range that drops me on it, only last week I had a chain fail on me on a little saw as it caught a nail in the timber I hadn't seen and the end of the chain put a hole in my jeans. lazy lazy lazy... and I would always wear full kit with a bigger saw and it's a rarity that I don't have all my kit on. one day in a rush a small saw and a small tree and hey presto I have fashionable jeans!

get used to the big saws, but pay all the saws the respect they deserve
Very well said.

I get more nervous with my smallest saw (Echo 2511). It's so light I can wave it around without thinking. My heavy saw demands more physical effort, so I'm focused and aware of it's position at all times. However, if you feel you're having a problem controlling your large saw then there are plenty of good saws available in the 10 lb (powerhead) range.

I've got a late 70s husqvarna 61 I picked up secondhand a few years ago for $100. Updated the ignition on it and it runs like a top. Not too heavy and the grip wraps around the side of the saw making it very easy to control both vertical and horizontal. I've ran up to a 24" bar on it, which was a bit much but it rips with a smaller bar. Parts are still readily available and interchangeable with some of the later model husky saws so dirt cheap. Good luck

If the big saw intimidates you I personally would pick the big saw up tote it around for a few minutes at a time. Get a feel of its balance. Crank it up get a feel of it running (wear your ppe wear ear plugs so that the sound wont be as loud). Go find a downed tree even if its 2 inches around and cut it up as practice. Repeat daily until you feel comfortable using it. I find that a 10 pound chainsaw is just about perfect for me. Love my ms250 if the tree is 15 inches diameter or smaller that's my goto saw any bigger I get my big heavy saw.

I've got a late 70s husqvarna 61 I picked up secondhand a few years ago for $100. Updated the ignition on it and it runs like a top. Not too heavy and the grip wraps around the side of the saw making it very easy to control both vertical and horizontal. I've ran up to a 24" bar on it, which was a bit much but it rips with a smaller bar. Parts are still readily available and interchangeable with some of the later model husky saws so dirt cheap. Good luck
I am not a pro but do have a lot of hours on large and smaller saws. If the big one makes you nervous, only use it in ideal situations til you are more comfortable. By ideal , I mean plenty of working room, good solid footing and no snags to get caught on. I’m thinking logs in the yard by themselves.
I agree with the rest of the fellas in saying a small one will kill you just as fast but at the same time the torque of a pro Mac 850 just seems to make a fella pay closer attention!
Hang in there and keep cutting! Remember we were all rookies on our first day!

Latest posts

Back