Am I doing something wrong? Unfortunately vague description

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't explain it, I just report it. ;)

Since the Covid-19 toilet paper rush, I hold my poop. I make a deposit at Walmart, or where ever once a week or more. I'm probably dropping 20+ pounds. Real manly size steamers. 2 to 4 pounds seems kinda girly... :laughing:

Yeah, I am keeping local plumbers busy.

Since the Covid-19 toilet paper rush, I hold my poop. I make a deposit at Walmart, or where ever once a week or more. I'm probably dropping 20+ pounds. Real manly size steamers. 2 to 4 pounds seems kinda girly... :laughing:

Yeah, I am keeping local plumbers busy.
Yeah, pretty sure that qualifies as TMI...

:D

Thank you for the feedback everyone. I think its mostly mental, i'm home now and felt completely comfortable today running it. Given it was into a fairly large tree trunk. I think time and adhering to good form will solve most problems, and really my only concern was having to cut smaller things with it. The MS180 was fixed the day after I came home so this never came to pass. I really appreciate the support from everyone though.

For a follow up the saw is Stihl 034AV. So I was correct in a my assumption- the MS180 is 31cc and the 034av is 60cc, so it is about twice as large.

Thank you for the feedback everyone. I think its mostly mental, i'm home now and felt completely comfortable today running it. Given it was into a fairly large tree trunk. I think time and adhering to good form will solve most problems, and really my only concern was having to cut smaller things with it. The MS180 was fixed the day after I came home so this never came to pass. I really appreciate the support from everyone though.

For a follow up the saw is Stihl 034AV. So I was correct in a my assumption- the MS180 is 31cc and the 034av is 60cc, so it is about twice as large.
there is a saw, for every occasion... just got to use the right size

I’m not absolutely sure but it appears that saw doesn’t have a chain brake. While not a deal breaker for many folks on the site and all my saws have a chain brake (my old saws are SD 112 & 117), if I did have one with no CB I would not let someone use it who is already timid about saws in general let alone afraid of a larger one. That said, spend a couple hundred bucks on a good used modern saw that a dealer can get parts for and repair if needed. Put that old thing on a shelf or sell it to someone on this site. You will be money ahead putting it into a newer saw rather than on DR bills. IMHO
Merry Christmas.

I’m not absolutely sure but it appears that saw doesn’t have a chain brake. While not a deal breaker for many folks on the site and all my saws have a chain brake (my old saws are SD 112 & 117), if I did have one with no CB I would not let someone use it who is already timid about saws in general let alone afraid of a larger one. That said, spend a couple hundred bucks on a good used modern saw that a dealer can get parts for and repair if needed. Put that old thing on a shelf or sell it to someone on this site. You will be money ahead putting it into a newer saw rather than on DR bills. IMHO
Merry Christmas.
I meant to attach this.

Attachments

• AC25D54D-C9D5-4330-9185-D9F2D86AD579.png
    AC25D54D-C9D5-4330-9185-D9F2D86AD579.png
    231.9 KB · Views: 20
Merry Christmas.
I have an 032AVEQ that I bought new in about 1981. At that time the “AV” (anti-vibration) and “E” (electronic ignition) were selling points. The “Q” (quickstop) was an extra cost option that added the chain brake, marketed toward less experienced users. Or at least that was my impression at that time.

The OP should be able to check the operation of the chain brake, to ensure it’s working. My original printed 032AVEQ manual doesn’t mention engaging the chain brake while starting the saw. However the manual downloadable from the Stihl website may recommend that.

Back