Am I out of line on price?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AM_Jarhead

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone . I joined about 6 years ago but seldom post. I lurk the forums alot though and have gained alot of knowledge and even purchased an awesome 600p off of a member here. Anyways to the point I used to cut alot of wood for fun and to feed my wood burner and my grandfather's . He has since switched to fuel oil heat and I moved to a place with pellet stoves installed. I'm trying to sell a Stihl ms660 locally as I honostly have no use for it and would rather put the money torwards my gun collection. Its in good shape and runs great I purchased it through a reputable saw shop as an impulse buy when I went to purchase a top handle for trimming the small trees on my property lines. I listed it on Craigslist for 625 it's only been on there a few days of no interest but a couple locals through word of mouth heard I was selling it and when I told them the price they kind of scoffed at it. So I was just wondering what your guys opinions would be on it if I'm to high or out of line. I tried going off of what I've seen online. I'll attach some photos thanks alot guys and sorry for the long post . Stay safe and have a great weekend!

Attachments

• KIMG0743.JPG
    KIMG0743.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 85
  • KIMG0744.JPG
    KIMG0744.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 83
  • KIMG0745.JPG
    KIMG0745.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 85
  • KIMG0746.JPG
    KIMG0746.JPG
    850.5 KB · Views: 76
  • KIMG0747.JPG
    KIMG0747.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 77
In my opinion, that saw is absolutely worth $625. I've gotten where I hate selling anything on Ebay, but if you really want top $$, Ebay is the place. I would think it would go for $7-800+ on there easily... Keep in mind, Ebay will take 10% of the selling price, then there are Paypal fees (3% I think) also

Thanks for the replies guys much appreciated. I'll stay on my price then. I sold a saw on eBay some years back and it was honestly a hastle at best between them and PayPal. I'm located in Ohio , if it doesn't get much attention I can just leave it on the shelf until another time it's not eating up much real estate. Thanks again guys for your help !

Hello everyone . I joined about 6 years ago but seldom post. I lurk the forums alot though and have gained alot of knowledge and even purchased an awesome 600p off of a member here. Anyways to the point I used to cut alot of wood for fun and to feed my wood burner and my grandfather's . He has since switched to fuel oil heat and I moved to a place with pellet stoves installed. I'm trying to sell a Stihl ms660 locally as I honostly have no use for it and would rather put the money torwards my gun collection. Its in good shape and runs great I purchased it through a reputable saw shop as an impulse buy when I went to purchase a top handle for trimming the small trees on my property lines. I listed it on Craigslist for 625 it's only been on there a few days of no interest but a couple locals through word of mouth heard I was selling it and when I told them the price they kind of scoffed at it. So I was just wondering what your guys opinions would be on it if I'm to high or out of line. I tried going off of what I've seen online. I'll attach some photos thanks alot guys and sorry for the long post . Stay safe and have a great weekend!
Last I looked at a local shop (year/ so back?) saws of that size (91.6cc) in Husqvarna were $1200+; (haven't looked at Stihl shop); My 570 (68cc)was $660 ($700+ incl tax) when I bought it 10+yrs ago? Comparable 372= $900-$1000 from memory? Call/ visit your local shop and ask, I suspect your price is a bargain? A compression Test before sale may raise (or lower?) the $$

I recently sold a 066 for $ 600.00. Your saw is much cleaner than the one I sold. Stick to your price. Cl takes awhile to sell things like high end saws. If the item is over $ 200.00 it will be a slow sale and will take awhile to find a buyer sometimes 2 weeks or longer.

Thanks for the replies guys much appreciated. I'll stay on my price then. I sold a saw on eBay some years back and it was honestly a hastle at best between them and PayPal. I'm located in Ohio , if it doesn't get much attention I can just leave it on the shelf until another time it's not eating up much real estate. Thanks again guys for your help !
From prices around me that's a great price. I just picked up a MS440 and would have rather found a deal like yours. Good luck with your sale!

From prices around me that's a great price. I just picked up a MS440 and would have rather found a deal like yours. Good luck with your sale!
044 440 are classics and no longer made thus bring better money and is a midweight saw to begin with, The 660 is a big heavy saw thus reducing your customer base to people looking for a big saw for felling or sawmill use. My preferences run in the 50-70cc saws so it would take a steal of a deal to be interested in a 660 but would say that the asking price is still a good deal for someone looking for a 660. I already have numerous Stihl 026s and 260s but I recently picked up a 261 only because it was a steal of a deal at $100 and only required the chain to be sharpened.:eek:

Your saw is priced right it is just going to take some time for the right person looking for that particular saw and not the average homeowner or saw aholic looking for a screaming deal.

I wouldn't hesitate to ask 800 for that saw using craigs list and fb market place, Big saws take time to sell unless they are priced stolen. I list at the top of what something is actually worth based on condition and expect a real buyer to negotiate IN PERSON and not in email/texts. Sometimes things just flat out sell as soon as it hits the page and other times it can take months waiting for a person that needs what your selling and has done their homework enough to realize your offering a good deal. The average ass scratcher has no idea there are chainsaws out there that are made for professional use that are more valuable than their shitbox car yet line up to buy a 1k phone. Hell most saw dealers don't know their own brands used saw values, they just guess its half or less than the newest version being sold. A bit of advice to help sell, make a 1 minute video of starting the saw and cutting a couple chunks of log then letting it idle after cutting so folks can see it running before even contacting you.

Back