Amazon Prime BS

Help Support ArboristSite:

Joel D'Angelo

Joel D'Angelo

ArboristSite Operative
When it comes to tools, which is mostly what I buy, I find Amazon to be kind of like HD. Claim to be the cheapest but a little research usually reveals they are not or if they are cheaper it is by a few percent. If I can I take my money local. It's worth it for the ease of retrurn if nothing else. Now I don't know as our local Sears went out of business and I have no idea where I am going to get mechanics tools from now on.

capetrees
When it comes to tools, which is mostly what I buy, I find Amazon to be kind of like HD. Claim to be the cheapest but a little research usually reveals they are not or if they are cheaper it is by a few percent. If I can I take my money local. It's worth it for the ease of retrurn if nothing else. Now I don't know as our local Sears went out of business and I have no idea where I am going to get mechanics tools from now on.
Look around. I think local hardware stores took over Master Mechanic tools. I know Lowes did locally and they still offer the lifetime warranty.

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
Lowes, Ace, KMart, and a few other places sell Craftsman.

grizz55chev
Kmart came into my hometown in the mid 80’s and all but shut down Pamida. Target came in the late 90’s and shut down Kmart.
I worked for Sears back in the early 70's, they used to be the cornerstone of every strip mall all across the country. Seemed like they would be so for well past my expiration date. Can't remember who bought out who between Sears and K- Mart, but both will be history before I leave this goofy old world.

1Alpha1

1Alpha1

100% USDA certified abnormality-free.
It'll be sad to see Sears leave. I still remember Montgomery Wards. My dad was a fan of their Power Craft tools. I still have the 1/2 drive socket set he used to keep in his truck.

So many years ago, I bought him a Seiko watch for his birthday. I bought it @ Montgomery Wards. He thought that was a pretty fancy watch, as he always wore a Timex.

1Alpha1

1Alpha1

100% USDA certified abnormality-free.
Man oh man.....ain't that the truth! Inventory sucked and they had employees from other departments manning the tool dept. Most had little to no idea what you were talking about, if you asked them a specific tool question. All that mattered, was they know how to ring up a purchase.

I had one female try to tell me that Sears made all of their own power tools. :dizzy:

Reactions: svk
capetrees
Craftsman hand tools haven't been worth the premium in quite some time. I'd get Kobalt or Husky from H-D or Lowes and trust them just as much as Craftsman. Harbor Freight is a lot closer in quality than a lot of people would like to admit, too.
Harbor freight will only get a pass on their handtools. Electric tools, gas power equipment or anything else mechanical, no way. Wrenches are wrenches but power equipment is different. Bought an electric impact wrench. 1st try, 5 minutes into a job and it grenaded internally. Not worth returning.

I worked for Sears back in the early 70's, they used to be the cornerstone of every strip mall all across the country. Seemed like they would be so for well past my expiration date. Can't remember who bought out who between Sears and K- Mart, but both will be history before I leave this goofy old world.
Sears sold some good outdoor equipment back in the day. I had a generator and a few other items that were still running when I sold them 30 plus years later.

The gas boiler in my house is a Sears circa 1981. It’s getting replaced this summer but has only quit twice in 40 years. One thermocouple and one electric issue in all of that time.

OM617YOTA

OM617YOTA

Addicted to ArboristSite
Harbor freight will only get a pass on their handtools. Electric tools, gas power equipment or anything else mechanical, no way. Wrenches are wrenches but power equipment is different. Bought an electric impact wrench. 1st try, 5 minutes into a job and it grenaded internally. Not worth returning.
I agree. I did say hand tools.

Groundman One
Last week I ordered some Carhartt pants and a mouse for my PC. The pants could only arrive in a week, but I could get the mouse in two-days for an extra $10. So I paid the $10 to get the mouse fast and made a second order for the pants with free shipping.

The pants arrived at my door four-hours before the mouse.

Amazon... :rolleyes:

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Looking for the Light in the Darkness
Pretty sure the shipping time will depend on how close you live to a distribution center that has your item in stock.

"Monkey Wards" Dads favorite store.... in fact, I think that was the only store, besides Sears, that I remember him going into. Grocery store, he'd wait outside, the mall, he'd sit in the gallery with a newspaper. But he would get lost for hours in Monkey Wards. :laugh:

lone wolf
Last week I ordered some Carhartt pants and a mouse for my PC. The pants could only arrive in a week, but I could get the mouse in two-days for an extra $10. So I paid the $10 to get the mouse fast and made a second order for the pants with free shipping.

The pants arrived at my door four-hours before the mouse.

Amazon... :rolleyes:
Ama zing!