anger

J_Ashley

J_Ashley

ArboristSite Operative
Im sorry to hear of your loss. Amazin how simple things can clear our minds for alil bit. I'm not looking forward to the day I lose my old man. Just the knowledge and life experiences that will be lost is mind numbing.
Lost my father at 17. We weren't terribly close. Lost my grandfather (dad's father) around 30. I'm 35 now.

Don't take it for granted. Call your dad today and chit chat - let him know that you love him. And then make the time - actually cut away the useless crap in your life - so that you can see him/them more.

This is one of the things that I look forward to about heaven - getting to see relatives again.

I was particularly upset after my grandfather passed away. It was a fairly sudden passing. I got a call one evening from an uncle that he was in the hospital, and that the doctor's had given him only a few days. Cancer that had let to fairly sudden heart failure. He was laboring to breathe when I got there, but thankfully still of sound conscience.

Most had cleared the room, and I asked if he wanted me to pray with him. He said yes. I held his hand, and prayed for forgiveness, thankfullness, and blessing of his last moments. His breathing eased, and he closed his eyes and passed away less than 10 minutes later.

I was upset with myself after his passing that I hadn't made more time for him. Then I realized that he was a believer in Jesus Christ, and that we would have all of eternity to catch up. That is the "Peace which surpasses all understanding" that is written about in Philippians 4:7.

People describe their happiest moments in life as being their marriage ceremony, or the birth of a child. I'll take that memory of holding my grandfather's hand & praying with him literally minutes before his dying breath 1000 times again, and I would drop everything & do it again for someone else in a heartbeat.

I say all this to say - If anyone is suffering from anger or depression, a right relationship with the Lord will begin to transform you - slowly, but effectively in time. On this forum we're united by a common bond of cutting wood. Need I remind folks, that a Palestinian Jewish guy named Jesus, who grew up in the small town of Nazareth, and was raised as a carpenter (I wonder if they felled & bucked trees as well...) physically walked & worked on this earth before beginning his ministry. If what he said about himself - that he was God the Son, incarnate - If that was true, then we risk missing all of creation & life's purpose by ignoring it.

The anger, depression, frustration & feelings of injustice will slowly melt away when we consider Jesus diety, but his human work, his un-just death, and the mercy displayed throughout his ministry.
In the Gospel of Luke, 23, Jesus is seen hanging on a cross - between two criminals - after being falsely accused, flogged, spit on, insulted, and then crucified. Instead of calling down "Twelve legion of Angels" Jesus turns to one of the criminals, and promises that he would join Jesus in "paradise."

I promise you that if you begin to meditate on that - perhaps over a quiet few moments tinkering with a chainsaw - it will begin to change your life.

I would certainly love to talk more about it with you, or anyone else on the forum too. Private message, phone, fireside chat with drinks - however.

Peace & Grace brothers...

MacAttack

MacAttack

I love the smell of 2-stroke
Mag dumps gentleman. Mag dumps with my AK. During the height of Covid in a level 1 trauma center when working double shifts in ppe with patient facing care I chose mag dumps.
I sure love "reactive" targets, like old appliances, haha.
One time I found a box of old bathroom tiles, those work awesome.

Brufab

Brufab

ECHOholic
I guess to make a older mak 90 a pistol grip stock instead of that thumb hole you have to change 5-7 parts of the gun to American parts to be legal. I forgot what law it's called but it was news to me. So the mak 90 and Egyptian maadi will be wearing thumbhole stocks

MacAttack

MacAttack

I haven't been up to speed on all that for a while, we'll see what happens down the road with the current Supreme Court.

Husky Man

Husky Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
I seen this Ohio saw fest that looks like some wicked fun. I am gonna try and go to the next event. Might be worth investigating for something to do next yearm
If you get the chance to meet any forum members, Take it. I have met a couple one on one, stopped by bfrazier’s homestead, his Wife said that we could be Brothers, met OM617yota passing through his area, both Great people that I could enjoy a day on the boat fishing with

I have been through goinwheelin’s neck of the woods quite a bit, but I am usually waking up the roosters on my way out of town, just hasn’t been at a civilized time yet, so he’s still on the going to meet list

I met a whole bunch of great people at a Springfield, OR GTG, on my way home from working in Medford, OR, all that I have met, were interesting people, that I was glad I had the opportunity to meet

I also got to meet Mike “Rupedoggy” for dinner at Red’s Old 395 in Carson City, NV, while I was working for 3 weeks in Reno, Great Food, Even Better company

Doug

Jed1124

Jed1124

Addicted to ArboristSite
Anger generally comes from being anxious about the future or regretting the past, neither we have control over. Or of lack of control of the here and now, but that’s short term anger.
The key to peace in life is living in the moment, in the present, and knowing there is someone bigger in control of it all.
At some point, we need to learn that the terrible crap we experience can make us better, but only when we can learn from it, for better or worse.
Someone said the key to life is to learn to live in spite of suffering, but I’m not so sure.

MacAttack

MacAttack

Truth be told a few months ago I was going to ask the mods to delete this thread because I thought it had run it's course. Then it was resurrected by someone, haha.
I'm working on identifying triggers and seeing what I can do to approach things with a different state of mind.
Trying to fix something that intimidates me, or there's a lot of pressure to get fixed, or is just kicking my ass... that's one of my worst triggers. Its also the most common cause of things being broken... I've been working on walking away from something that's fighting me, but the anxiety to have it DONE, I tend to go right back at it, even if I should really be doing something else.
Past few days been trying to fix a f##!!#$ POS gas insert fireplace. I've threatened it with my 16lb maul a few times. The WRONG THERMOCOUPLE sold to me by the dealer didn't help. Had to rip the guts out of the GD thing just to access the pilot and thermocouple assembly.
Always something to test your will.

Brufab

Brufab

ECHOholic
Anger generally comes from being anxious about the future or regretting the past, neither we have control over. Or of lack of control of the here and now, but that’s short term anger.
The key to peace in life is living in the moment, in the present, and knowing there is someone bigger in control of it all.
At some point, we need to learn that the terrible crap we experience can make us better, but only when we can learn from it, for better or worse.
Someone said the key to life is to learn to live in spite of suffering, but I’m not so sure.
Well said jed.

Jed1124

Jed1124

Addicted to ArboristSite
Truth be told a few months ago I was going to ask the mods to delete this thread because I thought it had run it's course. Then it was resurrected by someone, haha.
I'm working on identifying triggers and seeing what I can do to approach things with a different state of mind.
Trying to fix something that intimidates me, or there's a lot of pressure to get fixed, or is just kicking my ass... that's one of my worst triggers. Its also the most common cause of things being broken... I've been working on walking away from something that's fighting me, but the anxiety to have it DONE, I tend to go right back at it, even if I should really be doing something else.
Past few days been trying to fix a f##!!#$ POS gas insert fireplace. I've threatened it with my 16lb maul a few times. The WRONG THERMOCOUPLE sold to me by the dealer didn't help. Had to rip the guts out of the GD thing just to access the pilot and thermocouple assembly.
Glad you didn’t have it deleted. Sometimes it’s nice to know we are all dealing with the same chit.
I wish you the best for you and yours.

MacAttack

MacAttack

Glad you didn’t have it deleted. Sometimes it’s nice to know we are all dealing with the same chit.
I wish you the best for you and yours.
To you and yours as well, I've enjoyed many of your posts!
If people find some benefit in knowing we all deal with the same crap and face the same demons, I'm glad it wasn't deleted too.

J_Ashley

ArboristSite Operative

I grew up tinkering in the garage. Then worked service at a small engine dealer. (Stihl, mowers, tractors, etc...) Then learned to weld. Then machining. Then 16 years in the machining trade, with some commercial sales thrown in. Now part time landscaping business. Throw in 3 homes in that time, a handful of vehicles, and a wife & 2 kids.

There's always something broken or on the fritz. Always. I mean ALWAYS..... :crazy: CAN I GET A WITNESS!!!!

I think in time, my mentality has just toughened a little, and I can see more patience in my life now for such things than in years past.

1- I go in with the mentality that the job is going to suck - prepare mentally for it - but that I have some considerable skills, have been through the fire many times mechanically, and that with my God-given talents, skills, and the internet, I'm capable of getting the job done, eventually...

2- It's probably going to take longer than you think. It's OKAY if you can't get it done in that block of time, that day, that week. Figure out a backup plan BEFORE you begin work.

3- When it goes south, get to a good stopping point. Stop, think, and plan your next action. Even if it's for tomorrow, next week, etc...

4- Always, and I mean ALWAYS, use the bathroom before you start working, and take a fresh drink when you start. Nothing worse than stopping to pee 20 minutes into the job with tools scattered, and dirty hands. And there's something calming about having a fresh drink - beer, sweet tea, whatever...

And lastly, remember that we are among the most fortunate people & time in history. If we don't get the thing fixed, there's nearly zero percent chance that we'll starve or freeze to death. IT WILL BE OKAY...

Knowing that, should lift an incredible burden off of your shoulders. With that in mind, work peacefully - or near so as you can anyway... :surprised3:

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
For lack of a better outlet, my thought is that perhaps personal experiences from people with relative anonymity might provide some personal insight.
More and more I find myself carrying and intrernalizing anger. I don't talk about it with anyone, not friends, not family, no one. I have no interest in anger management discussions, hugging it out, and I certainly have no interest in being stigmatized or judged, so I just keep it to myself. I'm actually known as a very kind and unassuming person, because I am, because I exercise great self-control. But it's always there, just below the surface, and it's a constant struggle. Have never hurt anyone, or committed a crime, but I've broken my share of physical objects. I get it from my father, and grandfather who died well before I was born. Very kind but a short temper, and a constant anger that I can't do anything constructive with. Today was a bad day, passed up for a promotion at work, so here I am sharing my anger with total strangers on an arborist forum, because that's the extent that I am comfortable discussing it.
The older I get the more I don't have time or interest in having or holding anger. I had issues when I was younger but now days I just don't have them anymore. I'm much more easy going the older I get. Anger issues just make for a bad day and are non productive. I'm not perfect but I'm way better then I use to be. Of course we are all human and have our limits but life is way better if you can let things go. Particularly the things we can't change.

Latest posts