Another “why does my chainsaw not run…”

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngrySawGuy

Reaction score
Sorry, but here is another question about how to make my chainsaw run better.

It’s a Craftsman 16”

I’ve replaced the carb, gas filter, air filter and spark plug.

I’ve not replaced the gas lines.

It starts relatively ok but idles really fast. Giving it gas and it runs and accelerates fine. Once it is warmed up a bit (giving it full throttle off and on for 30-45 seconds) then letting off the gas, it stalls. Then really hard to start again. Once I get it started again (pull after pull), I can give it gas again but as soon as I let off, it stalls again. Then it is nearly impossible to start again.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!!

Thanks for your input guys.

Now that it’s mentioned, it is sort of running as bad as it was before I replaced the carb! I replaced the carb because I had not run it for 2 years. Rather that try to clean out the carb, I just replaced it.

I didn’t replace the gas lines because I was worried if I could thread them through the holes or not. Maybe I’ll give it a shot tomorrow.

I got this saw secondhand. It worked good for the first season.

I have also replaced the gas cap.

I’ll rewatch some YouTube videos and see what I can do. However, in my research I couldn’t find the same combo issue (idling fast but also stalling), so that is why I’ve posted the question.

Thanks again for your input. Any additional suggestions are very welcomed!

It’s a Craftsman 16”

It starts relatively ok but idles really fast. Giving it gas and it runs and accelerates fine. Once it is warmed up a bit (giving it full throttle off and on for 30-45 seconds) then letting off the gas, it stalls. Then really hard to start again. Once I get it started again (pull after pull), I can give it gas again but as soon as I let off, it stalls again. Then it is nearly impossible to start again.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!!
Sounds like an air leak.

It’s a Craftsman 16”

Any thoughts?
Thanks!!
I put a cylinder kit and new carb on my old husky 450. Just to realize I forgot to put crank seals in. I was having a high idle issue. By not putting new seals in it will lose air pressure and will idle fast and erratic. I changed them and it idles fine now... Now all I need is a new flywheel because the key sheered off mine.."Some idiot" forgot to torque the nut down

I put a cylinder kit and new carb on my old husky 450. Just to realize I forgot to put crank seals in. I was having a high idle issue. By not putting new seals in it will lose air pressure and will idle fast and erratic. I changed them and it idles fine now... Now all I need is a new flywheel because the key sheered off mine.."Some idiot" forgot to torque the nut down
Just an FYI, you don't need a new flywheel. The key way is just for timing, the taper fit of the crank and flywheel is what keeps it locked in position. Have more then a few 2 strokes that don't have a key in the flywheel from advancing the timing...

Latest posts

Back