ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Another Had To Put My Dog Down Post........

Tobystihl

Tobystihl

Creaky Limb Tree Care
Thanks everyone.
I appreciate the comments and they do help.
It's funny the little things I catch myself still doing, part of the things that were so common to us after 10 years together.
He'd lurk under my chair, waiting for an errant biscuit to wander within range, so I'd dangle my arm over the side and then feel his gentle nose checking my hand, just in case there was one there.

Last night, as I was finishing an ice cream bar, I left a bit on the stick, as usual, intending to dangle my arm over the side so he could lick it off, but then caught myself. Stuff like that happens. I look over to where his water dish was, checking to see if it needs fresh water, but there's no dish there now, only the memory of it.
I miss the sounds he made when he wanted attention, his little sharp bark and the tilted head quizzical look he'd give me, followed by the universal dog "play bow" stretch that indicates it's all for fun.

We had down and dirty extended battles over biscuits when I'd put one down then claim it was mine and he couldn't have it. He would work so diligently to get past my two fingered defense of the biscuit it would crack me up sometimes. We'd both make all the appropriate noises, growling and howling and yowling at each other as the battle raged. Naturally he always won in the end and scored his treat.

Thanks for bearing with me a bit as it helps me when I type out some memories from being Buddy's Man-servant, and each memory makes me smile and that helps a lot.
Here we are back in 2010 or so rowing my 10' Davidson dinghy in the Tyee Pool.
He was keeping an eye out for big salmon.

View attachment 916309
Oh man, I've got tears rolling down my face... take comfort in the fact that, he will be forever in your heart..........

Huskybill

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
I still miss the ones who passed on.

All my pets are rescued, mainly abandoned. I have six cats I find as kittens dumped in the woods or adopted that no one wants. My dogs are the same way. It’s tough to raise them from babies and then see them pass on it hurts.
Walking out of the vets with the empty collar and leash. But we saved them and gave them a awesome life. My cats are spoiled, my yellow lab goes swimming everyday while walking. What a life.

On a cold winter night the cats are camped out around the woodstove.

Here’s my recent feral cat who I tamed passed on. He slept with me curled up on my arm. I have his two brothers left.

Attachments

• 3960D5BB-D109-40FE-AD82-1C8FC986D6C5.jpeg
    3960D5BB-D109-40FE-AD82-1C8FC986D6C5.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 10
PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I still miss the ones who passed on.

All my pets are rescued, mainly abandoned. I have six cats I find as kittens dumped in the woods or adopted that no one wants. My dogs are the same way. It’s tough to raise them from babies and then see them pass on it hurts.
Walking out of the vets with the empty collar and leash. But we saved them and gave them a awesome life. My cats are spoiled, my yellow lab goes swimming everyday while walking. What a life.

On a cold winter night the cats are camped out around the woodstove.

Here’s my recent feral cat who I tamed passed on. He slept with me curled up on my arm. I have his two brothers left.
We have 9 cats and they all were strays too, they make the best pets because they are so appreciative that they were taken in and taken care of!

Huskybill

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
My yellow lab is 12 yo and has cancer, he’s on chemo. He’s the one who hates Blackbears he has the heart of a lion. Due to the increase in bears here I need a good protective dog.

Jwilliams

Jwilliams

ArboristSite Operative
Sorry for your loss just this morning while getting kids ready for school our labradoodle managed to open the gate in our yard and ran across the road while teenager was in a hurry on her way to school and hit and killed him just 1.5 yrs old

Abbeville TSI

Abbeville TSI

ArboristSite Lurker
All our dogs were rescues, the last two are in our china cabinet as well. It is an emotional thing for sure. I don't know if I want to go through it again. We still haven't replaced Murphy, our 13 year old Basset who was the last to cross the bridge.

GeorgiaVol

GeorgiaVol

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sorry for your loss just this morning while getting kids ready for school our labradoodle managed to open the gate in our yard and ran across the road while teenager was in a hurry on her way to school and hit and killed him just 1.5 yrs old
Breaks my heart to hear this.
Our dogs getting out is one of our biggest fears where we live.