Another How Much question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
How much to hop up a ms290?
I'm not sure what all can be done to a saw to improve performance other then a basic muffler mod and port job, maybe piston change.
I was running my 290 today and I'm not thrilled about it's performance. I run a 20" bar with a stihl yellow chain with an aggressive raker setting. (I like pulling big chips)
Been running my ms261c and it has more power then my 290 with the same bar/chain set up.
While I'm at it, is there anyone in the Houston area that does good work?
I'm not looking for a hot rod saw, just a better running saw over stock. It still needs to be easy to start and dependable.
Thanks

put a 390 cylinder/piston in it
I had a 390 but sold it when I down sized. Besides I have a 362 for the bigger stuff where I need to run a 24'' chain. I generally run a 20'' on the 362 but have a 24'' bar in case the 20 isn't quite long enough. It might be cheaper to sell the 290 and get another 261 or maybe a 271.

Since you have a 261 and 362...I agree with the others...and, can not see any reason you'd want any clamshell saw.

Maybe a pro saw, larger than the 362?

Roy

Back