Another noob question-cutting efficiency

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedthro

Double Naught Spy
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace a sprocket on a small saw and I have a choice between 6 and 7 tooth. So I got to thinking, I don't really know crap. I'm leaning towards 6 tooth cause I'm thinking it won't bog down as much as it would with a 7 tooth, cutting mostly oak.

So just out of curiosity, how do you determine the most efficient sprocket and chain combination for a particular saw?

More teeth, faster chain, less torque.

Less teeth, slower chain, increased torque.

Are there any rules of thumb in deciding what would work best?

How much bearing does the type of wood have?

Any benefit to adjusting the rakers?

I spend way too much time alone driving and so I keep myself entertained thinking about stupid sheet.....

I'm looking to replace a sprocket on a small saw and I have a choice between 6 and 7 tooth. So I got to thinking, I don't really know crap. I'm leaning towards 6 tooth cause I'm thinking it won't bog down as much as it would with a 7 tooth, cutting mostly oak.

So just out of curiosity, how do you determine the most efficient sprocket and chain combination for a particular saw?

More teeth, faster chain, less torque.

Less teeth, slower chain, increased torque.

Are there any rules of thumb in deciding what would work best?

How much bearing does the type of wood have?

Any benefit to adjusting the rakers?

I spend way too much time alone driving and so I keep myself entertained thinking about stupid sheet.....
The most efficient one is the one the factory built it with, go with the stock size.

Dont mess with the rakers for the hell of it ,everytime you sharpen a chain take one light stroke off each raker, better to little then too much.
Understood. I do use a gauge for the chain I'm working on and get pretty decent results.

You need to define efficient. Most cross cuts per given amount of fuel? Most material removed per amount of fuel? Least amount of time used to do a task. etc. I would say the chain that removes the least material as in narrow kerf, followed by the length of cut which would favor more tooth drive for shorter material for the first and third option above. A chisel chain will be more efficient on the gas and the time aspect maybe not on the dollars until used up though. The narrow kerf stuff will get pinched easier. Maybe least sawdust produced making a given cut while loading the saw down to near it's maximum output for an answer to the first question here (not dull reason for low sawdust or chips).

I was a little surprised as you already had the correct answer. Oak needs all the torque and other soft woods do not need much. Slower chain speed means it will stay sharp a little longer but not cut quite as fast. On large saws slowing the chain down is really important unless you have a ton of soft wood. Thanks

I was a little surprised as you already had the correct answer. Oak needs all the torque and other soft woods do not need much. Slower chain speed means it will stay sharp a little longer but not cut quite as fast. On large saws slowing the chain down is really important unless you have a ton of soft wood. Thanks
I've come to realize nothing is simple, which is why I put the question out there. It was something I was mulling over while on a 9 hour drive.....

as said stock is always good, but experiment and go a tooth higher and see how it works for you. It could be ideal or youll just change back, sprockets are cheap enough........... but dont go taking the rakers down until you know exactly what the outcome will be. I done a saw once for a fencing contractor and all he ever done was file down rakers. if the chain got dull instead of a few strokes on the the cutting tooth what did he do. File down rakers, that saw had a hell of a life and would over heat to the point of it stopping just because it was forced so hard. Some never learn, that poor saw was knackered.

I've come to realize nothing is simple, which is why I put the question out there. It was something I was mulling over while on a 9 hour drive.....
When I haul hours and hours go by. When in the mountains some time no radio to listen to. So for me I spend hours thinking about what if I did one other thing different. It amazes me about things previously never thought about before come to mind that is a great improvement. Thanks

Back