Another Small Saw/Aging Advice Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like the EA4300 is like the MS241, which weighs close to the MS261 but forum guys raved about how much lighter the 241 felt. I picked that saw to buy and I was very peeved to find out it was NLA. The 241 still shows up on stihl.com but not on stihlusa.com. The 4510 is larger and heavier than what I need. The 3510 is perfect and similar to the CS-361P which is one of the two saws on my want list in my first post. Can't remember why the 361P is $100 more than the 3510. I wish I could handle these saws before buying but my area is far from being a saw town. BTW they still list the CS-352 on the USA site.
Do you really want Mtronic, like the MS241 has, some people love it, I like to be able to fix my own things,
can't do that with the Mtronic carbs, they are best put on a computer to fault find, then buy the parts that are for the most
part Stihl OEM, unlike the EA4300 which uses an off the shelf carb, oregon chain bar and clutch drum, other makers components
can be used too.

Do you really want Mtronic, like the MS241 has, some people love it, I like to be able to fix my own things,
can't do that with the Mtronic carbs, they are best put on a computer to fault find, then buy the parts that are for the most
part Stihl OEM, unlike the EA4300 which uses an off the shelf carb, oregon chain bar and clutch drum, other makers components
can be used too.
I'm not sure. I only know what I read on the net about the electronic stuff. I'm a machinist and fixer too. All of my saws have points and condensers. :cool:

can be used too.
I'm not sure how much is eliminated but we can order straight MS-261's without the CE prefix. Same for the MS-241 if it was still available.

I'm not sure how much is eliminated but we can order straight MS-261's without the CE prefix. Same for the MS-241 if it was still available.
Yes, but how many non MT 261 saws are sold, second hand parts for them won't be too handy to get when that time comes, I have no
idea what parts are different from the standard carb saw to the MT version, but there may be quite a few bits, which will matter when
you go looking for second hand parts after the oem pieces dry up or are a ridiculous price because they are scarce.
The MT versions seem to be hoding up well though.
That said, I did mention that the EA4300 wont be made after this year, so there will only be a limited supply of parts available for that saw
too, I have Two of them so hopefully can keep one going if things get tight on the parts side.

Yes, but how many non MT 261 saws are sold, second hand parts for them won't be too handy to get when that time comes, I have no
idea what parts are different from the standard carb saw to the MT version, but there may be quite a few bits, which will matter when
you go looking for second hand parts after the oem pieces dry up or are a ridiculous price because they are scarce.
The MT versions seem to be hoding up well though.
That said, I did mention that the EA4300 wont be made after this year, so there will only be a limited supply of parts available for that saw
too, I have Two of them so hopefully can keep one going if things get tight on the parts side.
I missed that the EA4300 was going to be discontinued. Most everything I own is ancient and I'm very familiar with part hunting. It has become a silly game to see how long I can keep things running. 1966 Toro mower, 1978 rider, 93' and 95' vehicles, 70's Homelite, 80's Stihl. I'm easy on stuff and usually don't have to buy big ticket items. I need to clean or buy a float needle for the 66 mower because it started leaking fuel.

I wanted a PRO saw to loosely match the ready to cut 10 lbs.

This change to Stihl cutting attachment 61pmm3 goes toward the ready to cut weight being low. Stuffed crank on the Echo 361. which is some of why I got it.
I have 2 saws in mind now, the ECHO CS-361P and Husqvarna 439, which I have never used or held either one. I would appreciate some guidance on these saws and other models that I may have missed.
Of course the Stihl rear handle 201 is a comparable to these. For an extra pound the Makita 3601, more power bigger clutch. I have not seen or held a Husqvarna 439 either but seem to recall one of the vibration numbers is high, not that I ever saw the Echo 361 numbers.
Echo 361p w stihl bar shrunk 40%.jpg

Hi Franny K, thanks for posting. The Stihl 201 lost out when I saw the price tag. How do you like your 391? Things that you like. Is there anything about it that bugs ya.

I have not really used the Echo 361p enough to really decide. It is in the battery saw power range, at least close have not timed anything. I have a shortened Husqvarna battery pole saw that is quite convenient. I like top handle as well. Say a tree falls over in a pasture or at the edge. I generally cut from the branches 12' pieces and stack on some way to take away. Then when the stuff is too heavy to do 12' do less length until 5 feet or so is too heavy, at that point it is kind of too small of a chainsaw. Would you gain a minute or few with a more powerful saw?

negative stuff
Drive link count, I got the 16" Echo says and supply 57 drive link loop. The bar appears to be the same profile and length for what I have been using 56 drive links, and 56 fits this saw fine.

Oiler adjustment. Need a bit of patience I have found a spot in the adjustment where the gasoline and bar and chain oil go down together. It was way too much oil and so little oil that the chain stretched and the oil level stayed high. There is a slotted screw down inside a hole but the screw is not co-linear with the hole. They probably should include a screwdriver if a suitable one exists.

Lightness at a price, the small diameter clutch drum even if it had low rpm power I doubt it would be useable.

The muffler sticks out so getting the bar parallel and close is compromised, exhaust on leg.

The recessed 10 mm bar nuts and small closely spaced bar studs.

Positive stuff
Clean air index 3 pretty much odor free. I used my 4 mix Stihl pole saw on the same fuel and lots of odor.

Can't get an exhaust burn commonly occurring when sharpening a chain with a hot muffler.

Parts are easy to find on line lawn mower places make websites that sound like Echo factory outlet and prices are realistic.

There may be a shortage of echo stuff the place i got mine (saw suppliers) only has powerhead only and 12" 45dl bar choice now.

I have not really used the Echo 361p enough to really decide. It is in the battery saw power range, at least close have not timed anything. I have a shortened Husqvarna battery pole saw that is quite convenient. I like top handle as well. Say a tree falls over in a pasture or at the edge. I generally cut from the branches 12' pieces and stack on some way to take away. Then when the stuff is too heavy to do 12' do less length until 5 feet or so is too heavy, at that point it is kind of too small of a chainsaw. Would you gain a minute or few with a more powerful saw?

negative stuff
Drive link count, I got the 16" Echo says and supply 57 drive link loop. The bar appears to be the same profile and length for what I have been using 56 drive links, and 56 fits this saw fine.

Oiler adjustment. Need a bit of patience I have found a spot in the adjustment where the gasoline and bar and chain oil go down together. It was way too much oil and so little oil that the chain stretched and the oil level stayed high. There is a slotted screw down inside a hole but the screw is not co-linear with the hole. They probably should include a screwdriver if a suitable one exists.

Lightness at a price, the small diameter clutch drum even if it had low rpm power I doubt it would be useable.

The muffler sticks out so getting the bar parallel and close is compromised, exhaust on leg.

The recessed 10 mm bar nuts and small closely spaced bar studs.

Positive stuff
Clean air index 3 pretty much odor free. I used my 4 mix Stihl pole saw on the same fuel and lots of odor.

Can't get an exhaust burn commonly occurring when sharpening a chain with a hot muffler.

Parts are easy to find on line lawn mower places make websites that sound like Echo factory outlet and prices are realistic.

There may be a shortage of echo stuff the place i got mine (saw suppliers) only has powerhead only and 12" 45dl bar choice now.
Thanks a lot for all of the info. I noticed the muffler bulge too. I'm going to keep my Craftsman/Poulan for dirty work or getting that close to the ground. This model looks to be popular in Russia. Tons of videos to watch, just couldn't understand a word they were saying. Some wood carving too. Funny thing, read some comments about the chain falling off and saw it happen in one video. I can't imagine why, other than the chain being too loose.

The ms250 is not in any way, shape, or form in the same league as the makita/dolmar 4300/421/420

it handles nicely and has decent power (though not as much as the dolmar), but it vibrates excessively and is stupid hard to pull over for what it is -a plastic homeowner saw.

i have run them side by side, btw.

The ms250 is not in any way, shape, or form in the same league as the makita/dolmar 4300/421/420

it handles nicely and has decent power (though not as much as the dolmar), but it vibrates excessively and is stupid hard to pull over for what it is -a plastic homeowner saw.

i have run them side by side, btw.
Thanks. A funny but sad Makita story. I have stayed away from battery tools because I didn't like the ni-cad battery technology and how they always went bad from sitting. Last year I had an outdoor project that required lots of holes and long deck style screws. I have some nice older Makita corded stuff before batteries so I ended up buying the top end Makita impact and drill. 30yo son comes over and beaming dad wants to show him his new toys. Son gives me an odd look and says....this isn't like you, why did you buy off brand junk that nobody has ever heard of. Damn kids :omg:

I am really starting to like battery tools. I do prefer nicad over lithium. I have a 25 year old Wagner (yes, Wagner) nicad 3/8 drill that still works fine. It certainly isn't as comfortable or powerful as my modern dewalt (decent, I suppose, but not premium ) stuff , but the batteries are still decent. Tho another two or three nicad tools have gone bad..

talk about off-brand...Wagner drill. Lol.

if your son hasn't heard of Makita, then Makita has a marketing problem.

They feel slightly cumbersome and big for a 40cc saw, but run beautifully and handle better when running than not.

best with lopro chain.

if you happen to buy one, have a good look at the spur drive (clutch drum). A worn out one of those is spendy to replace.

Back